Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2019 12:31:21 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

But I did it so I’m ok with it. Lol
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not going to lie.  Those look real bad.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not going to lie.  Those look real bad.
View Quote
Oh I know. Lol
But hey, it’s not meant to be a pretty safe queen.
I mean I’m building it from a $200 IO Blem parts kit...
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Reshape with a Dremel!
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't remember how many I drilled out and redid when I was building.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Long rear rivets are the worst. The only ones I’ve ever been proud of I shaped by hand with a tool i made from an old piece of sucker rod.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Drill them out and try again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Drill them out and try again.
View Quote

This!   I’ve been using the flats I bent to work through the rear rivets.  I figured at this point someone would have a “perfect every time” solution.  These are off the AK-builder jig. They are getting better but still not there. I’ve thought about heating them red hot before smooshing to see if that helps but I don’t think it will get the desired results in the internal expansion.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Are you using a press or a hammer
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If you use bucking bars on both sides with the correct rivet head size and the correct rivet protrusion in a press, your rivet heads should look factory. You need correct tools and practice to make it look good.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Oof. I've done better than that with just a ball peen hammer.

You might try cutting off the excess with a dremel, and then using a ball peen hammer (round end to expand, flat end to shape) to re-shape them. A small punch and some sand paper does wonders also. Failing that, drill them out and try again.

Be careful not to dent the receiver with the hammer. Use a small one and go very very slow... hundreds of light taps.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is something you can do that works pretty easily for long rivets. Take a 3/16 end mill (you can use a drill) and make a divot on a bucking bar of your choice for the bottom rivet. Use the small tool from this air hammer kit. With many taps with a typical hammer moving it around it will form a nice looking head. It will be a little larger than the others but have the shape you want and it will stay put for sure.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#12]
You can try cleaning them up with sand paper first
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't remember how many I drilled out and redid when I was building.
View Quote

This.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top