Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2020 2:07:31 PM EDT
I've wanted an ACE for a long time and I finally got the ACE SAR in 7.62x39.  It's everything I had hoped it would be!  I'm not a huge fan of semi-auto rifles, there's very few that I actually like and typically it is older stuff like the HK G3, FN FAL, AK-47, etc.  I have always loved the AK platform, but never really was a fan of the ergonomics of it.  So, I sold my Arsenal SAM7R-61 and got the Galil.  It's a phenomenal gun.  The action is ridiculously smooth, the trigger is pretty damn good although not as good as the SAM7 trigger, and top rail is a nice addition along with the rear sight being all the way on the back of the dust cover, and I love finally having a left side charging handle.

Overall I'm happy with it!  Internally it's all AK, but externally it has a bunch of excellent ergonomic improvements over the typical AK.  I'll miss the SAM7, but I'll get one again when the prices fall back down as I'd like to get the SAM7SF.

Any mods you guys recommend for it?  I already plan on doing an RS Regulate handguard as I've heard excellent things about them, and probably an ALG trigger upgrade too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck finding an ALG trigger.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Removed.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will really enjoy that rifle ! They are built like a tank and run like a champ . We ship a ton of IWI Galil ACE firearms and rarley have any complaints .

https://atlantic-firearms-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/media/sylius_shop_product_original/product/galilwithbrace-1-of-18-jpg-product-2.jpg
View Quote
@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Thanks!  What complains have you heard, if any?  Just curious.  From what I have read online the only thing people seem to take issue with is the fact the gun is overgassed (which I don't find as a downside, to be honest), and there's an assumption that because of the top cover you can lose zero on a magnified optic.  But regarding the second issue, I've never actually seen or heard evidence of it happening.  Just wondering if there's anything else with them I should maybe keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Can someone in the know tell me if you can install an original Galil folding stock on the Ace?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can someone in the know tell me if you can install an original Galil folding stock on the Ace?
View Quote
I've read that you can, but don't know of the specifics relating to it.

If you're just going for the look, you can install the KNS Precision adapter and skeleton stock.  That stock is supposed to be extremely robust and well built.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on your rifle. I have one inbound as well. I was in the market for another 7.62 AK (since I have a bunch of mags and ammo) and was planning on waiting for the KalashUSA or PSA, but couldn’t pass up a deal I found. Looks to be a great solid and UGLY rifle. The looks can be fixed with a lower plastic thingy mod and new forearm. I’m looking at the MI rail as well as the RS regulate (seems to be sold out currently?) I think those couple mods really help with aesthetics (receiver) and function (rail.) Also there’s the KNS adjustable piston that might be cool.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Congrats on your rifle. I have one inbound as well. I was in the market for another 7.62 AK (since I have a bunch of mags and ammo) and was planning on waiting for the KalashUSA or PSA, but couldn’t pass up a deal I found. Looks to be a great solid and UGLY rifle. The looks can be fixed with a lower plastic thingy mod and new forearm. I’m looking at the MI rail as well as the RS regulate (seems to be sold out currently?) I think those couple mods really help with aesthetics (receiver) and function (rail.) Also there’s the KNS adjustable piston that might be cool.
View Quote
Thanks!  Yeah it almost remind me of a Beretta ARX with some AK-ness added to it.  Mostly because the thick rail covers make the handguard look super bulky.  Adding an MI or RS Regulate rail make the gun look really sleek.

It reminds me of one of my favorite shotguns, the Benelli Super Vinci.  Amazing ergonomics, but butt ugly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:14:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I love mine. Probably my favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]

@patswin3

What all is needed to convert to the non-polymer lower?  Is it as simple as just removing that lower, or is there additional work that needs to be done?  The gun looks so much sleeker without it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@patswin3

What all is needed to convert to the non-polymer lower?  Is it as simple as just removing that lower, or is there additional work that needs to be done?  The gun looks so much sleeker without it.
View Quote

You can buy the kns trigger guard plastic delete. But I just removed it, added the surplus grip and shaped an ak bolt on trigger guard that’s just held in by the grip and there’s a slot at the top rear of the mag release tower.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Here she is outfitted with a brand new hat; a Leupold VX-R Patrol:

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Stock handguard does suck.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@patswin3, tell me more about yours! I see you removed the plastic magwell. Did you installed a regular Galil grip and stock? That's exactly how I want a Galil ACE to look.
View Quote

Yes I removed the plastic, added a surplus grip and bought a saiga bolt on trigger guard and just re-shaped it. It’s held in place by the grip and the other end tucks into the slot at the top of the mag release tower. Also swapped the stock for a surplus one.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes I removed the plastic, added a surplus grip and bought a saiga bolt on trigger guard and just re-shaped it. It’s held in place by the grip and the other end tucks into the slot at the top of the mag release tower. Also swapped the stock for a surplus one.
View Quote

Does it destroy the plastic lower/mag well housing to remove it?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does it destroy the plastic lower/mag well housing to remove it?
View Quote

No, very easy to remove or add back
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#21]

How does the stock line up with the sights?

I ask since adding optics to my Galil Ace I need the cheek riser for proper cheek weld. Without the riser, I can see the iron sights.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#22]
…..I find your lack of faith a bottle-opener disturbing
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here she is outfitted with a brand new hat; a Leupold VX-R Patrol:

https://imgur.com/mZKhw4E.jpg
View Quote

Out of curiosity, is the scope mount 1.5” high or 1.93”?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, is the scope mount 1.5” high or 1.93”?
View Quote

That one is 1.685" high.  Before the RRA I had tried a Leupold Mark AR mount on it that was 1.4" high and it wasn't tall enough for the eye bell to clear the rear sight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How does the stock line up with the sights?

I ask since adding optics to my Galil Ace I need the cheek riser for proper cheek weld. Without the riser, I can see the iron sights.
View Quote

I just added a skeleton stock to my ACE.  Sight picture is excellent with the iron sights.  I removed the scope/mount on it to move that to a CZ Bren as it was just a tad too high with the skeleton stock so it was closer to a chin weld.  I like keeping the rear sight on, but if you did a lower mount with the optic and removed the rear sight your cheek weld would be fine.  So with the irons or no rear iron and low mount it is still a fine cheek weld, but if you add an optic that you want to clear the irons the cheek weld becomes a bit more of a chin weld.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I also have a 7.62x39 Galil Ace and love it very much.  I had a Primary Arms 1-4x20 on it but if you mount most typical AR scopes/mounts on it you have to remove the rear sight as it sticks up higher than a folded BUIS on an AR.  I did that for awhile, but ended up putting my rear sight back on and running a Primary Arms micro red dot which will provide an absolute cowitness with the iron sights.

Much handier that way (In my view).
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]
So I got another Galil ACE in 7.62x39 and decided to take it out today and torture test it in dirt and sand.  Holy shit is all I can say.  This gun is a fucking beast.  I only had one failure and it was a failure to feed.  I literally packed the spring cover and bolt in sand and dirt and the gun would not stop except for the one failure which was easily resolved.  This gun is almost unstoppable and I did everything I could to get it to fail.  Kudos to IWI.  Most of us will never subject our gun to that kind of environment but I just wanted to test it and see how it did, and I was super impressed.  This may become my go-to gun.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I love my ACE pistol in 7.62x39. Trying to decide scope vs Aimpoint. I think I’ll keep the IWI brace on it for certain. No point to SBR.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I took mine out to shoot two days ago, shoots very well and didnt have any hiccups using lancer mags

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I took mine out to shoot two days ago, shoots very well and didnt have any hiccups using lancer mags

https://i.imgur.com/uY696oP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AJc0JXK.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!  I have the 7.62x39 obviously, but sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten the 5.56 variant.  How do you like 5.56 out of it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#31]
New pic.  Here it is now with KNS Precision AKFXL stock and I removed the stock rail covers as I found them somewhat slippery and added Magpul covers instead.

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I also have a 7.62x39 Galil Ace and love it very much.  I had a Primary Arms 1-4x20 on it but if you mount most typical AR scopes/mounts on it you have to remove the rear sight as it sticks up higher than a folded BUIS on an AR.  I did that for awhile, but ended up putting my rear sight back on and running a Primary Arms micro red dot which will provide an absolute cowitness with the iron sights.

Much handier that way (In my view).
View Quote

Long story short, I flipped my ADM QD mount “backwards” and the rear factory sight nestles right between the scope ring and the 1-6 adjustment on my PA scope.

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, and you can install a Galil folding stock with the AR buffer so you can use AR stocks.  I refuse to use the KNS/ace adapter.  Made that mistake on an AK
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Thanks!  What complains have you heard, if any?  Just curious.  From what I have read online the only thing people seem to take issue with is the fact the gun is overgassed (which I don't find as a downside, to be honest), and there's an assumption that because of the top cover you can lose zero on a magnified optic.  But regarding the second issue, I've never actually seen or heard evidence of it happening.  Just wondering if there's anything else with them I should maybe keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Mine strings horizontally as the cover settles back into place.  The KNS adjustable piston helps tame the over-gassed problem.  Also, I found out I can’t treat it like an AK, at least not during the break-in period.  I was still under 500 rounds when I had installed and was trying to adjust the gas piston.  The recoil was the same, but the ammo wasn’t feeding.  Long story short, not enough lube made me have to pogo the charging handle.  Even after identifying the binding point, it still took numerous applications of grease and dozens of cyclings for that first half inch out of and into battery.  I was starting to get worried.  Thinking about it now, I just cycled it a few times and it’s smooth... even after sitting for three months.
I got the 40 rd Bulgarian mags to fit with a little filing on the mags.  Doing this also allows me to use the bolt hold open followers from Primary Arms.  Worth it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Does the Galil handguard get really hot like an AK47 after only a few mags?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does the Galil handguard get really hot like an AK47 after only a few mags?
View Quote

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top