Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/13/2020 11:45:44 PM EDT
Found out the hard way that APEX 13" SAR barrels are turned for SAR gas blocks that do not have the bayonet lug built in.  Looks like APEXs SAR kits have a standard (?) Gas block and Bowmans SAR kits have the gas block with the built in bayonet lug.  I had to file back about .410" so I could press my gas block on all the way.  Just a FYI when your building your SAR.

*** note I just noticed that they did update their description after i talked to Richard at APEX***

APEX gas block off their website

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks i bought one snd have yet to buy my parts kit
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to know.  Interesting since the gas block with the bayo lug seems to be more common in the parts kits we are getting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a SAR kit recently from another source, so I don't know what type of gas block I have. Nor do I really care, as I don't want to mount a bayonet anyway.

From my understanding, the gas block journal is the same .632" diameter for both the SAR and the ARM. The only difference is the distance/length obviously.

So if I don't want to mess with a tax stamp, and I don't want to mess with an extra-long FH with pin and weld, why don't I just buy the 18" barrel, and cut back the gas block journal, and the OAL to 16", and then re-thread?

That way I could thread to whatever pitch I wanted, and the minimum length is always compliant?

I have also not found any M13x1 flash hiders that are 3", to extend an Apex 13" barrel (at least not yet).

Which way is best given the options?
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a SAR kit recently from another source, so I don't know what type of gas block I have. Nor do I really care, as I don't want to mount a bayonet anyway.

From my understanding, the gas block journal is the same .632" diameter for both the SAR and the ARM. The only difference is the distance obviously.

So if I don't want to mess with a tax stamp, and I don't want to mess with an extra-long FH with pin and weld, why not just buy the 18" barrel, and cut back the gas block journal, and the OAL to 16", and then re-thread?

That why I could thread to whatever pitch I wanted, and the minimum length is always compliant?

I have also not found any M13x1 flash hiders that are 3", to extend an Apex 13" barrel (at least not yet).

Which way is better/cheaper?
View Quote

Cause they make braces
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If you know of a classic Galil compatible pistol brace, let me know.

But anyway, I am not excited about spending another $100-200 to get 3" less barrel and a goofy-ass brace, on an already $1200+ build.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you know of a classic Galil compatible pistol brace, let me know.

But anyway, I am not excited about spending another $100-200 to get 3" less barrel and a goofy-ass brace, on an already $1200+ build.
View Quote
Bonesteel arms makes a brace that looks like a galil stock. But they are never in stock.

Curious what caused your build to be over $1200? I've got right at $540 into my SAR reweld.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2020 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine isn't a re-weld. New receiver is anywhere from $350 (ATI) to over $600 (CNC Warrior, Tortort)...when they were in stock.

Please share your parts cost break-down, would love to learn more.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My kit is a bowmans kit, bought from a friend with extra cut receiver. $375 shipped (cost more than from bowmans as they are sold out) RTG has SAR kits not cut through the locking lugs for $329

APEX barrel, axis pin retainer, and new knocking handle knob was $153.53 shipped. So $528.53.  Did all the work myself. Would cost more of i used 922r stuff but pistols are not subject to 922r (reason why cool new foreign guns are imported as pistols)
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I've taken one welding class, so that is probably above my skill level.

What process did you use? TIG? Any jigs/fixtures, or just careful work piece clamping?

I didn't know that about pistols and 922r, but since I've already got all the rifle style parts, I would have to spend still more to get a pistol brace.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a mig because that's what i have. One day I'll have a tig. Basically I tack weld the front stub to a piece of angle iron. Then work my way to the rear. First weld I use a mag to gage the distance between the sections. Tack weld them in, second cut is between the trigger guard and mag release, trigger guard sets this distance and i use the top cover to set its location. Use some aluminum or brass backers, cut up receiver pieces for fillers if needed and weld away. I basically stitch the pieces together using tack welds is different locations till its welded up. Never do a continuous weld because it could get too hot and warp.

Here's a pic where i used a mag to set the distance (also had to splice in a new ejector as the original one was torched through)   (and note that the auto sear holes are welded up first before any receiver sections are joined)

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#11]
@katzma

Can I humbly suggest you do an entire build thread on your build?

You've already got some great info and pictures here, but I don't know how well-documented re-welds are (outside of builders who offer that as a service).

I know just enough about welding and building AKs to be dangerous, so I could offer editorial assistance if that helps?
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Could someone tell where to get the proper kit for this barrel??
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Could someone tell where to get the proper kit for this barrel??
View Quote
APEX sells the SAR kit for this barrel. Or you can cut off the bayonet mount on other SAR kits.

APEX SAR kit
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Found out the hard way that APEX 13" SAR barrels are turned for SAR gas blocks that do not have the bayonet lug built in.  Looks like APEXs SAR kits have a standard (?) Gas block and Bowmans SAR kits have the gas block with the built in bayonet lug.  I had to file back about .410" so I could press my gas block on all the way.  Just a FYI when your building your SAR.

*** note I just noticed that they did update their description after i talked to Richard at APEX***

https://i.imgur.com/Ntr3f3V.jpg

APEX gas block off their website

https://i.imgur.com/xcaEbzs.jpg
View Quote

Katzma
How did you file it back? What was the method did you use!
I could not find a kit that did not have a bayonet lug..
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I took my barrel to a local machine shop and he turn back what was need for $20 bucks. AwesomeAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I got my Tortort receiver today!! Lightning cuts done by HillyBilly took from Augusta 1st till today and worth the wait!! picture will be up in day or so
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top