Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/23/2020 12:46:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly]
I bought a case of 59 grain Red Army Standard for my SGL-31.

I’ve gone through about 400-500 rounds of the stuff and have had 3 failures to extract. Today, I shot 200 rounds out of it with zero issues. I collected a few empty casings for a closer inspection and noticed that each and every case has extractor wear marks on the rim. I don’t have a caliper to measure the rim thickness at the moment so I was hoping maybe some of your experts could potentially narrow this down as to why I’m seeing this. This might explain the 3 FTEs as the extractor claw either didn’t full get behind the rim or something of that sort and ended skipping over it those times.

I’m hoping this is ammo related as I don’t recall this with the other makes if ammo that I’ve shot from this gun.

Some other weirdness I noticed regarding the bolt carrier. The top carrier is from the rifle in question. The bottom is from another SGL 31 I have. Both are Arsenal btw. Is it normal for the top carrier to not have a tall lip like the one on the bottom? I noticed that the top carrier seems to not go into battery as smoothly at the last few centimeters. Like as if it's catching on something. I have to give it a light push to get the bolt to turn and lock.

Bolt with tall lip on left, one from rifle in question on right. You can see how much smaller the gap is underneath the bolt on it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure that isn’t an ejector mark rather than an extractor mark?
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top