Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/27/2017 10:59:13 AM EDT
Yesterday I talked to a guy who wanted to do more bear hunting but all he had was a 14lb .308. I told him if he was interested, I had a Tikka T3 in 300WM. He asked me if I'd trade for an Russian SKS and here we are. I had no idea what nuanced differences each SKS had until I did some research last night. From what I can gather (and it's probably wrong), it might be an Izvehsk? All the numbers match or were forced matched at one time. It was obviously refinished at one point in time.

It had one of those scope mount things I took off. He said he has the receiver cover somewhere that he'll try and look for.

Any knowledge would be appreciated!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
First off:

-The dust cover scope mounts are aweful, don't even think of leaving that on.
-Many SKS have headspace issues and WORK FINE BUT ARE INACCURATE
-The trigger is meh, and there's damn near nothing you can do about it beside oil it.
-Magazine follower tilt angle is important. Otherwise you will find a squished round under the follower (no joke)
-If you buy it, sharpen the bayonet aggressively since they often are dull for some reason.

Also make sure it's chrome lined. Almost all Russian ones were, it's a dark grey chrome not shiney. If the bore looks in amazing condition than its chromed regardless of color.

That said, they are practical. Spare ammo is light-weight on stripper clips. And they can be used defensively in a pinch.

I'd much rather have an SKS against a charging bear rather than a bolt action.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I suggest you do a bit of your own research bro, here is a link to a really good site I'm not affiliated in any way
but I've used it for reference material several times. I'm in agreement with the fact the B-square type scope
mounts suck.

SKS reference
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
We already did the trade so it's mine.

All the research I did prior to starting this thread was done on yopperj, but I'm still not 100% if it's a 1953 or 1954 Izvehzk.

From what I understand their more desirable, even as a rebuild.

I think I have $400 in it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for a replacement receiver cover. It'll make a good shooter.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
$400 you did good, I paid slightly more for mine late last year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$400 you did good, I paid slightly more for mine late last year.
View Quote
^ this. 

Yours looks like a nice specimen.  I would just clean it, and shoot it.
Around this price, I think these SKSs are a good investment.  Prices aren't going any lower. 

It looks like the wood has been refinished or perhaps replaced.  Most of the old Russian SKSs have been refinished. 
The finish on mine is original, but it looks horrible.  I think it's some type of soft shellac.  You can just about scrape off the top layer with your fingernail. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

^ this. 

Yours looks like a nice specimen.  I would just clean it, and shoot it.
Around this price, I think these SKSs are a good investment.  Prices aren't going any lower. 

It looks like the wood has been refinished or perhaps replaced.  Most of the old Russian SKSs have been refinished. 
The finish on mine is original, but it looks horrible.  I think it's some type of soft shellac.  You can just about scrape off the top layer with your fingernail. 
View Quote
I plan on shooting it this weekend if the weather holds out.

I'm calling it a light refinished SKS. Or thats what most of the things I've been reading online point to.

My stock had the shellac that rubbed off in places, but was thick as a penny in others. Last night, I rubbed some denatured alcohol and got most off the finish off, then re-shellaced the stock.  While it's bit lighter and may make purist's heads explode, at least it isn't going to stain my hands like the old finish did.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
There is much that can be done to the sks trigger by someone who knows what to do...

Kivaari
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one for $189 in better shape than that.  In my mind, that is all they are worth, but apparently others don't think so.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought one for $189 in better shape than that.  In my mind, that is all they are worth, but apparently others don't think so.  
View Quote
I agree but I bought mine for $89 w/ a case of ammo years ago
I like mine but it's a club that shoots bullets for the most part. I have never had any trouble with it and it was my introduction to surplus/assault weapons so I have a soft spot for the SKS. If you're good with the deal that's all that matters
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The bayonet isn't supposed to be sharpened.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Would include in any bug out plans . Edge to the Russians over China .
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
OP. The date and factory will be stamped on the receiver cover.

Bug the guy till he finds it.

It's worth way more with the matching cover.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I definitely am trying to do that.

I ended up buying an unmarked sks cover for the interim so it looks more factory.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked up an unmarked receiver cover for $20. All it needed was a bit of fitting and reblueing. I think it turned out pretty well. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Picked up an unmarked receiver cover for $20. All it needed was a bit of fitting and reblueing. I think it turned out pretty well. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187224/IMG_4174-299805.JPG
View Quote
@GAZ32 looks great! Where did you get the unmarked receiver cover?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@GAZ32 looks great! Where did you get the unmarked receiver cover?
View Quote
@Alicorn I actually picked it up at a LGS/pawn store. It was just coincidence that I saw it.

There was a guy on eBay selling Tula covers from Russia for $40 that was my first choice before finding this.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Same problem with my Russian; the former owner installed a crappy scope mount & lost the original Russian cover.

Now it's worthless for anything beyond a shooter.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#19]
You have a nice SKS there.  You should be happy with the deal.  They are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is true--call him everyday I think what you have is called a 'bright bayonet' Russian.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top