Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2022 5:44:10 PM EDT
So I purchased a Mini-Beryl at Atlantic Firearms.  Love it.

Its really a nice handling gun especially with a Bonesteel Brace.  But I wanted to have the option to also do a traditional looking Krink.  Having a 1913 rwail allows me easy to convert.  Swapped out the top cover for one that has a CETME sight welded to it to replicate a Krink rear sight on the top cover.

I cut off the sling loop on the back and added a JMAC Customs 1913 rail adapter by drilling and tapping the rear trunnion on the back - it was relatively easy with drill and tap.

With the 1913 rail, I can convert to the Triangle brace and remove the Beryl sight base and add the Krik style cover.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks the only downside is the front sight is a square post and very stiff, (No AK sight tool fits) must have some sort  square wrench that goes to it!

Needle Nose Pliers are useless and don't turn it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if a small socket may fit it or security bit or similar?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if a small socket may fit it or security bit or similar?
View Quote

I've been trying exactly that - either sockets are too large to fit between sight ears or don't grab it.  Its approx 5mm square or 0.196"

I'm looking at specialty 5mm square open tools and it would appear that European clock winders / keys are of the same size.  Curious  if that was the inspiration of the design was a clock winding tool - seems like it would be handy except this is stubborn.

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't find anything I can just tig up a square I am sure. I don't have any rotary broaches, that would be the ticket.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you can't find anything I can just tig up a square I am sure. I don't have any rotary broaches, that would be the ticket.
View Quote

OG1 - Thanks for the offer - I appreciate it.

I ordered a 5mm (Swiss Clock Size #11) clock winder key - I will give that a try and report back with how it works.

From reading around F B Radom didn't supply kits or tools and they are scarce in the US.  
The clock tool looks like it might work - if it fits.  We will see.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OG1 - Thanks for the offer - I appreciate it.

I ordered a 5mm (Swiss Clock Size #11) clock winder key - I will give that a try and report back with how it works.

From reading around F B Radom didn't supply kits or tools and they are scarce in the US.  
The clock tool looks like it might work - if it fits.  We will see.

View Quote
Awesome! I have that same triangle brace on my 5.56 build and love it, it so soft shooting it is crazy. I wish it did not have the gap but I have learned to ignore it lol. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Awesome! I have that same triangle brace on my 5.56 build and love it, it so soft shooting it is crazy. I wish it did not have the gap but I have learned to ignore it lol. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
View Quote

Yes, But only when I picked it up at the FFL (No brace at that time) (they have a range) and I was there to pick up the gun and do some shooting with a friend with other guns.   I shot 20 rounds through it, no problems functioning, but it really is awkward without "bracing" : )
Recoil impulse is more mild than my other 7.62 SBRs (I have a Yugo M92 SBR, and a Draco done as a ROmanian AIMR) both jump a but given they are 7.62.  This Beryl doesn't have the same jump and I'm sure the brace helps a bit.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI -

The Mini Beryl is fun to shoot, it is very accurate.  

An Update to the Front Sight Tool - FYI a #11 5mm Swiss Clock winding tool/key works perfect for front sight adjustment tool.

The Mini-Beryl front sight is unique and no tools are imported with the guns oddly enough.

The Clock tool (Swiss made) was just under $10 delivered from ebay.   It is a nice tool and gives good leverage - the sight post was hard to turn.
EDITED TO NOTE _ YES IT LOOKS LIKE A WIND UP TOY

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
This place once again is costing me money.    Mini Beryl on the way.  Also an Attero Bravo mount inbound to replace that fugly rail.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm glad you got it sorted. That does look odd lol
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This place once again is costing me money.    Mini Beryl on the way.  Also an Attero Bravo mount inbound to replace that fugly rail.
View Quote

I agree on it being ugly. (Athough  authentic to the Polish NATO offering but the earlier ones didn't have a deep trough but a shallow weaver type rail) I did put an SRO type red dot on it I took off of a Glock - I just don't shoot as well with red dots on the pistol as I thought (Against the trend).  Its a high mount and The Attero Bravo is much more in line with a comfortable weld - I want to put an RMR/SRO small profile reflex on it instead of a tube style red dot for compact look.  I'd have to makeshift a Glock RMR plate to the Attero mount.

Frankly I wish Attero would make a version that had a small section of 1913 rail.  anything lower than the original looks so much better.  Even the earlier shallow rail looks better.
I do admit the weird mount is growing on me, it hit where it was aimed at and solid.
US Troops training with Polish in Afghanistan:

Attero Red Dot Mount

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain’t that the Truth!  Mine arrived yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I agree on it being ugly. (Athough  authentic to the Polish NATO offering but the earlier ones didn't have a deep trough but a shallow weaver type rail) I did put an SRO type red dot on it I took off of a Glock - I just don't shoot as well with red dots on the pistol as I thought (Against the trend).  Its a high mount and The Attero Bravo is much more in line with a comfortable weld - I want to put an RMR/SRO small profile reflex on it instead of a tube style red dot for compact look.  I'd have to makeshift a Glock RMR plate to the Attero mount.

Frankly I wish Attero would make a version that had a small section of 1913 rail.  anything lower than the original looks so much better.  Even the earlier shallow rail looks better.
I do admit the weird mount is growing on me, it hit where it was aimed at and solid.
US Troops training with Polish in Afghanistan:
https://txadt.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/110206-a-3855r-002.jpg

Attero Red Dot Mount
https://www.atteroarms.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_5938-scaled.jpg

View Quote

I've had one of their Bravo mounts on my 106 for several years, and I'm really happy with it.  I've got a T2 just sitting around waiting on a home, so the Attero Mini Beryl mount seemed like a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ain’t that the Truth!  Mine arrived yesterday.
View Quote

Hope you post an AAR soon!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

I think I'm going to dig this set-up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

The low profile Red dot sight mount is definitely the way to go.  

I wish they made it to accept an RMR/SRO instead of tube-only red dots.  I have an SRO that I didn't like on a Glock and want it on this pistol instead.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks great.  I've been thinking about sell my regular Beryl and getting one of these.  I just prefer short Rifles.

How hard was the drill and tap.  I usually use StormWerkz that require a hole drilled in the rear trunnion with a threaded allen screwed into the rear of the new back plate attachment.  Is there enough clearance to use something like that?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks great.  I've been thinking about sell my regular Beryl and getting one of these.  I just prefer short Rifles.
View Quote

I've been eagerly awaiting for more full sized Beryls to come back into the Country.  You could always do the ARFCOM thing and "get both".  
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been eagerly awaiting for more full sized Beryls to come back into the Country.  You could always do the ARFCOM thing and "get both".  
View Quote

I got a little crazy with the AP5 thing, so I've been drowning in CC debt. The sell of the Beryl wound help throw some $$ towards the CC.  I've already got a few things for sale to help pay it down, but the gun market is dead right now.

And by the time I make the decision, AofA & Atlantic will probably have their shipments in (although those only last about 20 minutes).
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I got a little crazy with the AP5 thing, so I've been drowning in CC debt. The sell of the Beryl wound help throw some $$ towards the CC.  I've already got a few things for sale to help pay it down, but the gun market is dead right now.

And by the time I make the decision, AofA & Atlantic will probably have their shipments in (although those only last about 20 minutes).
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How hard was the drill and tap.  I usually use StormWerkz that require a hole drilled in the rear trunnion with a threaded allen screwed into the rear of the new back plate attachment.  Is there enough clearance to use something like that?
Thanks.
View Quote

Adding the JMAC adapter was relatively easy

First, I cut off the sling adapter loop on the back - I used a cut off wheel

I used a vernier caliper to measure the distance from the lower shelf  to the center of the hole of the adapter.  I then Marked a line at that height on the trunnion rear and then also marked a line for half the thickness of the receiver at the back - it got me to the center.  Used a center punch to mark the spot. drilled with a 1/8 drill bit first then used an 8.5 mm bit, then used the tap to tap it.  
This is the drill and tap set I used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719DKC8T?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/catalog/rsa-akp_1406_detailnb_1971_detail.jpg

Adding the JMAC adapter was relatively easy

First, I cut off the sling adapter loop on the back - I used a cut off wheel

I used a vernier caliper to measure the distance from the lower shelf  to the center of the hole of the adapter.  I then Marked a line at that height on the trunnion rear and then also marked a line for half the thickness of the receiver at the back - it got me to the center.  Used a center punch to mark the spot. drilled with a 1/8 drill bit first then used an 8.5 mm bit, then used the tap to tap it.  
This is the drill and tap set I used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719DKC8T?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
View Quote

Thanks for the info. & links.   I just let my fullsize go and ordered a Mini.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. & links.   I just let my fullsize go and ordered a Mini.
View Quote

Having both is always a reasonable solution except the cost.

I'd like to think these are still available in the future, but imports is one thing the.gov can play with.

F B Radom barrels and parts are really top tier for Former Warsaw Pact manufacturing, and also have met NATO.  

I was going to get a full size Beryl, but then a Tula AKM parts kit walked into my life.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Damn,  I think you sold me on the Attero mount with Aimpoint Micro, that is a sweet setup for a little AK bang stick.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Got it to the range today to get a rough zero.  The Attero Arms back-up rear sight needed the front post to be screwed ALL the way down to be zeroed.  The optics mount itself seems to work like a champ.  T2 is now dialed in.  Put less than a hundred rounds through it, but was flawless.  Going to get it out to the desert Thursday and put at least a couple hundred more through it.  

This is going to be a great little shooter.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks.
View Quote

@dump1567

Sorry, didn't see this part of your post the first time.  I ordered mine from Krebs with the brace already installed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@dump1567

Sorry, didn't see this part of your post the first time.  I ordered mine from Krebs with the brace already installed.
View Quote

No worries.  I actually added it after you posted.

I think I’ve got a couple of Stormwerkz adapters I’ll try to see if they’ll work.  If not, I’ll order the JMAC rail.  And than another pending Form 1 to go with my others.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@cherenkov  

@AZ5326X2

Do you have to mill/drill out the two rivets that appear to be retaining the OEM mini beryl picaitnny top rail/rear sight to remove that section?

I know it is dovetailed and slides out the back but when I loosened up the two set screws, it still does not want to come out, and I can't tell what those rivet heads do, so I am assuming the piece is rivetted on to the rear sight housing(?)

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Not at all Sven.  I just backed out the set screws, and tapped it out with a hammer and punch.  It's not riveted into the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nevermind, I figured out the rivest are just holding the steel dovetail piece and the picatinny rail piece together, and the whole assembly slides right off.  All good.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

You got it!

For others;  The big ugly but effective factory rail is removable by loosening two 4mm set scres (2mm allen tool) and easily slides off.  No drilling is needed.

I wish it was quick detach with some spring loaded button then one could easily switch out optics for a variety of needs, (CQB red dot, optical scope for aimed fire at distance, etc etc.)

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm getting mine out in the mountains tomorrow to stretch its legs a bit and turn money into noise and brass.  

ETA:  I think this thread may be responsible for cleaning Attero Arms out of their Mini Beryl mount.  Just checked and they're gone for now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just need to swap the rear trunnion amd mount my Beryl stock and she is done ??

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/368252/BB331F2A-B8EE-4F12-ACBE-34522EC52CB1-2501908.jpg
View Quote

I LOVE the Retro early handguards.  Does anyone have those in stock or are those parts one has to hunt and stalk auctions for?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

Great morning out shooting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Badass picture! I may have to do a beryl in 5.45...
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Just picked it up today from my FFL.  It's a work in progress, but should be pretty shootable in this format.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just picked it up today from my FFL.  It's a work in progress, but should be pretty shootable in this format.

https://i.imgur.com/OnewK4W.jpg
View Quote

Nice.

They are the only close proportional to original Krinkov size except the Arsenal pistols that are $2k-$3K and these are of equal quality.

FYI - AK-74 mags will fit this fine.  You can get 5.56 followers here
Pod Arms 5.56 followers for AK74 mags

I had some spare 5.45 Bulgarian used mags I had picked up many years ago from  Ohio Rapid Fire back in the day (pouch of 4 for $20) so using some of these.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So I purchased a Mini-Beryl at Atlantic Firearms.  Love it.

Its really a nice handling gun especially with a Bonesteel Brace.  But I wanted to have the option to also do a traditional looking Krink.  Having a 1913 rwail allows me easy to convert.  Swapped out the top cover for one that has a CETME sight welded to it to replicate a Krink rear sight on the top cover.

I cut off the sling loop on the back and added a JMAC Customs 1913 rail adapter by drilling and tapping the rear trunnion on the back - it was relatively easy with drill and tap.

With the 1913 rail, I can convert to the Triangle brace and remove the Beryl sight base and add the Krik style cover.https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/a607/X-ray6/IMG_3789.jpghttps://hosting.photobucket.com/images/a607/X-ray6/IMG_3790.jpg
View Quote

View Quote

Those are two bad bitches. Very Nice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally got this out to shoot today.  A couple flawless mags of Tula and BVA.  And the Irons were pretty much already dialed in.  SBR paperwork was sent in yesterday.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Finally got this out to shoot today.  A couple flawless mags of Tula and BVA.  And the Irons were pretty much already dialed in.  SBR paperwork was sent in yesterday.

https://i.imgur.com/ppEmZFj.jpg

View Quote

Great!  I'm thinking of doing an SBR as well.  Can't figure out if this Amnesty rumor is an opportunity to do it or not.

Anytime something is for "free" there's a catch!  Frankly, the more I read about it the more I'm confused and just btte the $200 expense and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Great!  I'm thinking of doing an SBR as well.  Can't figure out if this Amnesty rumor is an opportunity to do it or not.

Anytime something is for "free" there's a catch!  Frankly, the more I read about it the more I'm confused and just btte the $200 expense and be done with it.
View Quote

I didn't want to wait.  I SBR pretty much everything I buy with a barrel length less than 16".  I like short rifles. If this Amnesty thing happens, how long will the waits be?  2 years for approval?  

And one thing I don't see addressed is the 922r issue.  You can't just turn all these foreign built pistols into SBR's without adding US parts.  This will be lost on most people.  Not that anyone seems to comply with 922r.

They're creating a huge mess with all this nonsense.  Not to mention the ADA lawsuits that will follow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I ended-up doing some more mods.  After drilling a huge hole in the back end plate to fit an extra Storm Werkz M4 Stock tube adaptor I had in my parts pin, there was just no way I could get an allen wrench through the rear end to tighten it down.  I also had an extra side folder M4 Stock adaptor that normally threads into an ACE end plate.  I ended-up drill and tapping that onto the end.  Seems to work great, I just hope the rear was thick enough for the threads to last.

I was also thinking about cutting out the rear end and seeing if a Definite Arms M4 adaptor would fit in.  I think it would, but that's the point of no return.

I'm happy with what I added.

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks MUCH more handy with the folding brace.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top