Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2020 1:28:38 PM EDT
I picked up some of this ammo,besides what info is on the side of the boxes,is there anything different about this ammo compared to what is currently on the market? [Golden Tiger,Silverbear]
Thanks in advance.

Barnaul made in Russia
59 gr. FMJ
Non corrosive
Import date 99

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Barnaul was my favorite 5.45 back in the day. Lacquered steel cases, sealed at primer and case mouth, non-corrosive, accurate enough and 100% reliable. I have no experience with any 5.45 made in the past 5 years or so, but the ammunition you show should be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Barnaul is silver Bear, Brown Bear
Academy all same exact load just different cases
Great stuff
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I had some of the blue box Sporting Rifle Ammunition of that vintage that was, I believe, 55 grain soft point. It would fail to feed every round in my CUR 2 purchased in 1997 that has been reliable with many thousand rounds.

You note that your blue box is 59 grain though but don't note whether its the soft point or not.

I've shot lots of the Barnaul though and as mentioned by others its good quality.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had some of the blue box Sporting Rifle Ammunition of that vintage that was, I believe, 55 grain soft point. It would fail to feed every round in my CUR 2 purchased in 1997 that has been reliable with many thousand rounds.

You note that your blue box is 59 grain though but don't note whether its the soft point or not.

I've shot lots of the Barnaul though and as mentioned by others its good quality.
View Quote

Both cases are FMJ 59 Grain.
I would never buy any soft point or hollow point for my AK,too unreliable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Both cases are FMJ 59 Grain.
I would never buy any soft point or hollow point for my AK,too unreliable.
View Quote

cwalkin,

As frequently seen on the forum "reading is fundamental"  and I failed to see FMJ  in your post .  My apologies.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top