Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2022 5:55:21 PM EDT
I looked but can’t find the specific info on this long bullet and cartridge name… anybody know of the name of this?

https://imgur.com/a/zWBJnqY
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Sabot type conyraption?
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Suppressed spigot round?
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Suppressed spigot round?
View Quote
I sort of remember the Soviets/Russians had some variety of cartridge that was partially fired by an internal piston?  Image I'm thinking of kinda looks like this, but the projectile in this image kinda looks like the end of an AK gas piston attached to the bottom of a 7.62x39 bullet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I saw that in SOF back in the eighties.

It is basically a self-contained silenced cartridge.  The piston doesn't leave the case.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't look like the captive piston cartridges I'm familiar with.

Edited to add: from a European source of mine, these cartridges are meant to sabotage the weapon they are fired in. The projectile is designed to lodge in the bore so that when the next round is fired it ruptures the barrel. Known in 7.62x39mm,  5.45x39mm,  and 9x18mm Makarov. They are called "Iskra" (Spark in Russian) self destruct cartridges. Reportedly introduced by Russia during the Chechnya-Russia conflicts. The portion of the projectile behind the copper colored "jacket" is hardened steel and the grooves are designed to cut into the rifling, lodging the projectile in the bore. In researching this, I've found both 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm versions made by "539" (Tula) in the early to mid 1990s.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
This is an ISKRA round thats for behind the lines sabotage.  You drop it behind the lines and hope the enemy picks it up and loads it into their weapon.  What happens is that long tail covers the blow back hole on the rifle and it explodes while its still in the barrel.    They just talked about this on the IAA forum, and I sold one for big $ to the CIA spy museum in Virginia.  Cool round.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top