Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 3:09:39 PM EDT
It was only a few years ago that WASRs could be had for a few hundred dollars on the used market. I’m now hard pressed to find any under $650. Has the demand finally caught up with the supply or is there something I’m missing? I wanted to get back into the AK platform but don’t want to spend a fortune doing so.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a dearth of quality imports coming in and a glut of domestically built I.O. and Century crap.

FWIW, I picked up a NIB Zastava N PAP for $475 at a gun show in August and it's been a damned nice gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a dearth of quality imports coming in and a glut of domestically built I.O. and Century crap.

FWIW, I picked up a NIB Zastava N PAP for $475 at a gun show in August and it's been a damned nice gun.
View Quote
An LGS had an N-PAP for $495 recently, and I almost bought it, but I've just always heard to buy a WASR or better.  I never know what to do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I dunno if demand is higher now than it was during Obama's time (for AKs, specifically), but I do know that we are slowly sliding to the point where there are no good import AK options left. Slooowly but surely it's winding down. No mil is interested in 7.62x39mm guns anymore either, which isn't helping. Toss in the 'rise of the AR' as the go-to gun for Americans and I fear we may be seeing the beginning of the end for the type. If the government ever gets around to banning Russian ammo, the AK is doomed. Yes, it's made in a few other places, but not cheaply. Ukraine and Russia were the sources. Ukraine's factory literally got blown up / burned to the ground. Now it's just russian and expensive euro/american shit. Take away the russian and those prices go up even more, and people REALLY won't like the value proposition vs the AR and 556.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been shopping for a wasr myself. Local shop checked all his suppliers and couldn't find one in stock. Another shop has one in stock for $750 plus tax. I just can't talk myself into spending that on a wasr. I'm tempted to buy the paratrooper on Atlantics sight but I have some reservations about it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Even for homebuilders, I used to be able to score parts kits for a hundred bucks. Now decent ones command as much as 500 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at a  gun show recently and the only AKs were those made here in The US by Century and I.O.

There were plenty of them on the tables and they were selling.

Not a single WASR or other imported AK was to be found.

I'm glad I snagged the N PAP back in August of last year; it's proven to be a really nice rifle, it's a pleasure to shoot, runs smooth as silk,  and is exhibiting no improper wear after 1500 rounds.

The fit and finish, both inside and out, is very good and if there's one complaint I have it's that although the furniture is nice looking, it's too soft for a military rifle although it's passable for a range gun.

BTW: Century is using the very same wood on its newly imported WASRs these days.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
steel surp mags, besides the Serb ones that have fitment issues with some guns, are getting harder to find and more expensive too. I dunno. Back in the 90s when I first started buying guns there were stacks of sub-$8 AK mags eeeeverywhere at gun shows and hardly anyone was even looking at them. No interest. Now, they are scarce.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

An LGS had an N-PAP for $495 recently, and I almost bought it, but I've just always heard to buy a WASR or better.  I never know what to do.
View Quote
I'd go buy it if they've still got it and you want an AK.

It takes Yugo specific furniture and isn't chrome lined but other than that, good gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#9]
EVERYBODY is buying guns. It's a good thing. Finally.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Everybody wants what they can't have. Fewer imports and domestic built, for the most part, are junk. Gun culture it seems, has caught on with more people and so therefore more people are buying as well. Production and imports just haven't caught up with demand. Hopefully, more diverse imports will come back from the countries that still can come in and domestic production will step up as well. In a perfect world Century would go back to just importing
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea I think all those "Go get a WASR" posts finally drove up demand. I still recommend one, Mine's been great, but not sure if it's worth $650-$700 when NPAPs are available for $500.

Last I looked Atlantic had the Hungarian AK63 for like $430. Not assembled overseas but made with mostly Hungarian parts like a forged trunnion on a US made receiver & barrel.

If it's as good as the AK63DS underfolder I recently picked up I'd say that's the best deal in an entry level AK.

Locally I still see WASRs pop up for under $600 NIB but they do seem to go fast. But they are out there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It was only a few years ago that WASRs could be had for a few hundred dollars on the used market. I’m now hard pressed to find any under $650. Has the demand finally caught up with the supply or is there something I’m missing? I wanted to get back into the AK platform but don’t want to spend a fortune doing so.
View Quote
I know what you mean,the cheapest in stock dealer I found is Atlantic at $699.
I did some searching,and bought 2 early original owner used WASR's for $400 each.I'm just going use them for shooting lots of ammo thru.
Seems lot of complaints online recently that the 2017 and current WASRS are having problems.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know what you mean,the cheapest in stock dealer I found is Atlantic at $699.
I did some searching,and bought 2 early original owner used WASR's for $400 each.I'm just going use them for shooting lots of ammo thru.
Seems lot of complaints online recently that the 2017 and current WASRS are having problems.
Good luck.
View Quote
Really? Huh, I thought it was the other way around... newer WASR better than older versions. Oh well, we live and learn.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Wasr... blah. I tried one, it wouldn't fire 2 shots back to back. So back it went and it's Arsenal only for me!(unless russians come back) but my Draco has been good to go also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
There's a used one for a good price in the EE.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:57:18 AM EDT
[#16]
if you ever wonder if price sells, look at all these junk being sold for around $700 when you can buy an Arsenal for $900...

look for a used SAR-1, unless something has changed that has always been the best deal for a used AK.  People price them like they are WASRs
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wasr... blah. I tried one, it wouldn't fire 2 shots back to back. So back it went and it's Arsenal only for me!(unless russians come back) but my Draco has been good to go also.
View Quote
I had a WASR once that did similar things...it was just the shitty American trigger parts that had been put in it to make it gov compliant. Swapped an ALG AK trigger in there and the thing has run like a speed-freak Kenyan ever since.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here it is, with free shipping.  N-PAP
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top