Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/30/2020 5:33:01 PM EDT
the ones SGA is selling, are they GTG? i like the bolt hold open design.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
the ones SGA is selling, are they GTG? i like the bolt hold open design.

View Quote

They are more likely to have fitment issues across rifles than say the cheap Korean mags (that are a good option but have thin-ish steel).  Bulgarian steel are other cheaper steel mags that universally work. (gmw has for $17.99)
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
theres are two versions of the croatian. the first where the locking tab is too big and wont lock. and the revised one that works.

i can confirm the PSA one that just says "croatian" works. the one that says "unissued" is the one needing filing down.

just my experience.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
no, avoid these mags
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
<snip>Yes that's a hijack, start your own thread and ask your questions. Post a pic would be a good idea. dryflash3

Has anyone seen anything like that??
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no, avoid these mags
View Quote

I bought 12 Croatian magazine and none fit my WASR-10. I got out my Dremel sanding disc and did some little grinding above the locking tab. They fit fine and I have tested them at the range and they work 100%. I needed some AK47 magazines and I paid around $11 per magazine. I did buy a few Romanian and later some new Bulgarian magazines and they fit fine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I run only Croation AK mags. I really like the bolt hold open feature. Yes I had to grind down the back of the mag to get them to work but it only took about 3 or 4 minutes each with my grinding wheel.
The Black Friday sales on these was really tempting but I just don't have a need for more of these. I have been shooting these for a couple of years now and have had zero issues after the fix I made
when they first came in. My recommendation is to use these mags.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
theres are two versions of the croatian. the first where the locking tab is too big and wont lock. and the revised one that works.

i can confirm the PSA one that just says "croatian" works. the one that says "unissued" is the one needing filing down.

just my experience.
View Quote

Thanks for this info.

The comments on PSA for each version pretty much echo what you've noticed.

I'm surprised each SKU is the same price, given this info.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

just my experience.
View Quote

Mine as well. Ordered a half dozen 10 round Croats from AIM and got 30s by mistake. I’m not in a ban state so when AIM offered to sell em uber cheap vs returning them, I kept em and got my 10s a week later.

Both batches seemed to be made to two different specs, some fit fine, some needed filing.
They work fine, and they do have steel followers & baseplates.
I pulled the BHO followers as soon as I got em but I have seen pics of the rear of these followers getting chewed up quickly.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I only use them as range magazines.  There are three different AK types I've tried them in.  Croatians fit in C, but not A or B until I filed them down and one still won't work in B.  Of 7 magazines, A & B won't pick up rounds from 1 magazine, but C will.  And 2 Croatian mags will jam in A & B, but not C.   There are more troubles of this type, so I just use them on the range.  FYI, of maybe 5-7 other magazine manufacturers, I don't have problems in A, B, C, or D and E when their owners come to the range.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Just received 12 made in Croatia marked mags from PSA. All fit three different ak’s (WASR-10, DDI Hungarian build, and DIY Polish underfolder build) without any fitment issues. I have another 10 of these that I bought years ago and they have never given me issues.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just received 12 made in Croatia marked mags from PSA. All fit three different ak’s (WASR-10, DDI Hungarian build, and DIY Polish underfolder build) without any fitment issues. I have another 10 of these that I bought years ago and they have never given me issues.
View Quote

I picked 5 up from primary arms I'm planning on getting back into AKs soon (if I can) I always liked the Yugo's bolt hold open and figured I'd start grabbing a little here and there for whenever I do get another AK. Hopefully they work but I paid 60 bucks so I don't think it will sting too bad if there junk.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no, avoid these mags
View Quote

Yep, what he says.  I have seven. Two won't work in 2 of 3 AKs, one won't pick up ammo in 2 of 3, but will in a third.  Even after filing, the magazines still have trouble seating. I finally gave up on "This magazine won't work in that and that, but will in this. The other magazine won't work in only 1.  The third is fine, but the fourth still has trouble seating in this AK, etc.  I got tired of trying to remember which worked there and now have them as only range mags.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought one to try at Rural King for $16.99. Came sealed in a plastic bag with lots of what looks to be a cosmoline type oil/preservative. It has "Made in Croatia" with a maple leaf looking symbol stamped near the bottom of the mag.

It has a steel follower with the bolt hold-open feature that seem to work well at least hand cycling the bolt.

It fits in my Arsenal SAM7 fine with very little play. Not as crazy tight as the Circle 10 mags and locks in easily.  

It looks almost identical to my Chinese Polytech mags with very clean looking finish, seams and welds. If it didnt have the "Made in Croatia" stamp I could believe it was a Mil-issued mag. I'll probably buy a couple more assuming it actually functions in the gun.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like this has been largely covered but here's my experience with the BHO Croatian steel mags (new but in cosmoline) from SGAmmo a few years ago (~2016) in my WASR GP 10/63. I think they were selling 10+ at $10 or $11 per at that time.

First, I had fitment problems. I don't remember exactly what the issue was but I do remember using a piece of wood (per SGAmmo's suggestion when I contacted them) to bend the mag body to get it to fit.

With this problem solved, I went to the range. Every second or third round would not get stripped off the magazine or fed into the chamber. I had 10+ magazines. None of them worked.

I returned them and SGAmmo said it was probably that they were incompatible with my rifle.  Haven't been too interested in trying any new-production non-surplus steel mags since.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like this has been largely covered but here's my experience with the BHO Croatian steel mags (new but in cosmoline) from SGAmmo a few years ago (~2016) in my WASR GP 10/63. I think they were selling 10+ at $10 or $11 per at that time.

First, I had fitment problems. I don't remember exactly what the issue was but I do remember using a piece of wood (per SGAmmo's suggestion when I contacted them) to bend the mag body to get it to fit.

With this problem solved, I went to the range. Every second or third round would not get stripped off the magazine or fed into the chamber. I had 10+ magazines. None of them worked.

I returned them and SGAmmo said it was probably that they were incompatible with my rifle.  Haven't been too interested in trying any new-production non-surplus steel mags since.
View Quote

I bought some Croatian magazines from a different vendor and I used my Dremel tool sanding disc and ground just above the locking tab. Looking a my Romanian magazine you can see that the Croatian magazine is a bit thicker that the Romanian ones. I paid a $11 per magazine and these were the first ones i bought so I took me a few hours make them all fit. No issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought some from another vendor and the bottom plate had so much side to side play that a few popped off and the spring popped out.  I have canned all of them
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Bought some for 12$.
Ground the appropriate area for fit, and bent the floorplate with needle nose pliers to make extra secure.
100% feed and gold open.
pretty simple fix, not like I was doing heart surgery.
5 min per mag, max.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought some recently. Out of the three I bought, two needed minor filing. The floor plates have a minor amount of side to side play, but nothing to be concerned about. I think I will try and use some needle nose pliers on them just in case. Overall, they seem just as rugged as the steel Serbian mags I got with them. Gutted all the mags to clean them up and everything looks solid.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top