Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/23/2016 9:10:43 AM EDT
So, I decided to switch to gun grease, but I have a few questions.  After shooting, do I clean the firearm with gun oil and then cost with grease?  Do you guys coat the bore in grease as well?  Which holds up better baking in the sun, oil or grease?  Thanks in advance guys.  I know these might seem like simple questions to some.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't coat the bore with grease.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bills2961] [#2]
on an AK  I just light grease the bolt and on the rails and no oil or grease in the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
Don't coat the bore with grease.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I add very small amounts of grease to the rails and keep rubbing it in until the roughness of the finish smooths out, then wipe away any excess. I also add a small amount to the bolt tail and the bolt camming-lug. Lubrication is sort of counterintuitive - because most lubes are high in viscosity, more lube is a bad thing. Less lube mean less friction, not more (as long as "less lube" =/= "no lube").

As far as cleaning, there's no problem with using an oil- or CLP-based cleaner then using grease as a lube. That's what I do. Just make sure you wipe away all the oil from the areas you plan on greasing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Dear God please NO grease in your barrel!

My rule of thumb is above freezing AK gets grease, below freezing AK gets oil.  Not a lot of either on the rifle, just a film.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
And keep the piston dry too! No oil or grease inside the gas system.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
And keep the piston dry too! No oil or grease inside the gas system.
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Anytime you clean a gun, you remove the old lubricant during the cleaning, so you just replace it. If you use some kind of fast-drying solvent for the cleaning, the gun is ready to oil when you finish. If you use a CLP for cleaning, you should wipe it dry where you plan to place grease. When using grease in a gun, apply it in a thin layer and remove excess.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, my rule, which has been working for many years, is to give every metal surface in/on the gun at least a film of lube/preservative. For the barrel/chamber, which I usually clean using the CLP of choice at that time, the last thing I do is to run a brush through it with a patch on the brush with the CLP on it. This leaves just a film of lube. Its for this reason that I never have problems with extraction. On an AK, the 'film' treatment naturally includes the gas piston, gas block and piston tube. 'Every metal surface' means just that. I never get rust and the gun is always easy to clean after shooting. And if something were to happen after cleaning/lubing the gun so for some reason I didn't get back to it for an extended period, I know it would be okay.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The only time to grease a gun barrel is for long term storage to prevent rust.
If the bore is hard chrome lined, a thin coat of CLP Breakfree works perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
The old grease will have powder fouling and whatever dirt its picked up in it. It's best to remove the old grease and apply fresh.

You can grease the bore but it is a very good idea to remove the grease before shoooting.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on what sort of grease you use to coat the bore. Something thin like tw25b will work great and just a very small amount such that it doesn't look like anything is there.

If you insist upon using grease in the barrel, take a bore snake with you and simply run it a few times through the barrel before shooting.

Can't imagine you having any issues with this unless you are storing your ak in a very dusty environment.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Oil on the piston or piston guide tube doesn't hurt anything. Just don't use lubricants in the actual gas port. You can shoot brake cleaner spray through it if you want. When cleaning a gun on which you've used grease, its good to use a 'dry-cleaning' solvent such as Naptha or brake cleaner spray to get the old grease/dirt off before re-lubing. 'Dry-cleaning' in this case means the solvent contains no oil and leaves no residue to speak of. On an AK I will grease the bolt tail in the carrier and the carrier guide rails.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:55:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: America-first] [#14]
I lube my AKs with TW25B including the bolt, the rails, the carrier rails and tail, and  a very light coating on the gas piston.

Cleanup is easy with only  a rag and Q-Tips and the only place I use any solvents is in the barrels and on bolt faces which I clean with a solvent soaked Q-Tip.

I don't see the need for any protectant to be left inside of Chrome lined bores, but I leave a very, very light film of Breakfree LP in the unlined barrel of my NPAP during storage and I run a boresnake though before shooting although there's too little to cause any problem.

My AKs have been treating me great and I need to buy another one soon.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top