Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/24/2019 12:01:53 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I bought this can of ammo last year at an estate sale and I’m having a difficult time figuring out certain markings. I know it’s 550 rounds on stripper clips for the Type 56 SKS, but I don’t know which sequence of numbers denotes date of manufacture.

It’s obviously steel core and almost certainly corrosive as hell, as I’ve shot many thousands of this ammo back in the early 90s when a case of two tins was a hundred bucks or so.  I figure this stuff is good ‘World gone to hell, pull tab’ ammo for an SKS or AK.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Long-story short, the ammunition in the can was manufactured in 1975 at PLA Factory 31, Lot 83.  The powder used to load the cases was manufactured in 1973 at PLA Powder Factory 25, Lot 104.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

Now why couldn’t the Chinese have written all of that in English?

Link Posted: 9/27/2019 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
emmetf is correct.

and

The Chinese characters basically say what you already know.

From memory, since all of my cartridge reference material has been passed on to other collectors:

line 1 - steel case (steel core ball), 2/1 powder type

line 2 - 56 type  (Type 56, referring to their designation for the 7.62x39mm cartridge)

line 3 - 550 quantity (in clips)
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top