Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2018 7:40:49 PM EDT
Went out with the AK74s.  One is a Bulgarian and the are Waffen Works bought by classic firearms.  Warranty is supposed to be cover by DDI.
We where shoot Red Army Standard ammo.
All 3 rifles got cases stuck in the chamber at around the 120 round mark.
All rifles are always cleaned and lubed.
I am leaning toward the ammo.  
Rifle were dirty but I kinda expect an AK to run dirty.
So is the Lacquer getting built up in the chamber?  Is that ammo just that dirty?
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely. If you aren't having repeated problems with stuck cases, I'd probably blame the ammo.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Lacquer doesn't build up in the chamber. This is BS and has been proven many times over. The lacquer isn't melting off the case, enough already. Oh and don't try to BS me because I have been shooting AKs since the early 80s. I have AKs with more rounds fired through them than most of you will ever shoot through all of your firearms in a lifetime.

Waffenwerks put out a few good rifles and then went to shit. If you do some research you'd see a couple threads on the subject pop up at the akfiles. DDI is non-existent, Dave ran his piehole like a good used car salesman, made his money off us AK suckers and then sold the company and screwed employees right after Christmas. Don't expect any help from them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Went out with the AK74s.  One is a Bulgarian and the are Waffen Works bought by classic firearms.  Warranty is supposed to be cover by DDI.
We where shoot Red Army Standard ammo.
All 3 rifles got cases stuck in the chamber at around the 120 round mark.
All rifles are always cleaned and lubed.
I am leaning toward the ammo.  
Rifle were dirty but I kinda expect an AK to run dirty.
So is the Lacquer getting built up in the chamber?  Is that ammo just that dirty?
Any suggestions?
View Quote
Lacquer isn't melting, you can take a blowtorch to a lacquered case and it won't melt in the amount of time a cartridge sits in the chamber.

I have had many stuck cases with Red Army Standard 69gr in rifles that cycle 7n6, Tula, Wolf poly and lacquer, Golden Tiger, and Monarch without issue.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How fast were you firing?  Not mags dumps but 4-8 seconds between shots.  Then the rifle sat for 5-7 minutes while other shot.

How hot was chamber?  At the end of shooting they where getting pretty hot
You were shooting steel cases lacquer ammo.  yes

Was chamber clean when you started range session? yes
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Galil that hates poly coated 223. Eats the mil-spec stuff without any failures. I thought the rifle had a bad extractor, but the same thing happens in my AR15a1. Those two rifles don't like it.

My Yugo m95 and other ARs haven't had an issue with the poly coated.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have gave up with steel case in my AR.  Same problem with case stuck in the chamber.  
Now my sks and sar-1 ak47 eats up everything.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have gave up with steel case in my AR.  Same problem with case stuck in the chamber.  
Now my sks and sar-1 ak47 eats up everything.
View Quote
The 5.56 case is not tapered enough for steel case to reliably extract in every rifle.  7.62 and 5.45 case is much more tapered so it does not have problems
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
My 74 hates Red Army ammo, and would stick cases like no other.  The only failures it has had is with that stuff

Even my p64 hated RA 9x18.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Try some Silver Bear
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
That will be the next thing on my list.
Hows silver bear work in the AR?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#12]
First, strip the bolt and make sure the extractor isn't and spring aren't damaged. Also check that there isn't so much crud built up that that extractor can't move freely.

While you have the bolt out, check the chamber for machine marks or pitting from corrosion.

AKs should run fine on steel case ammo.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 5.56 case is not tapered enough for steel case to reliably extract in every rifle.  7.62 and 5.45 case is much more tapered so it does not have problems
View Quote
...And steel doesn't expand to seal the chamber the same way brass does, so the chamber gets a bit dirty and the next rounds fired add to the effect until the straight walled case begins to grip the crud causing problems with extraction. Some chambers are more sensitive than others due to tolerances in both the chamber of the rifle & ammo being shot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#15]
The only time I've ever had cases stick in a chamber have been with my Saiga .223, shooting Tula (Ulyanovsk) that had some mild corrosion and wildly varying case neck lengths. You could put a bunch of cases in a row and see some where the neck was not trimmed to the proper length.

I have never bought Tula .223 ever again after that.

Thousands of rounds of Barnaul .223 in ARs and AKs alike, no problems. I have never scrubbed the chambers either, just snake them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I had stuck cases in three different  74's all with red army standard ammo.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top