Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2023 8:01:45 PM EDT
This is an AK I assembled but it’s a general question I have seen before.

Got a headspaced barrel with Egyptian barrel parts and front trunnion in a package deal.  Front sight base was not pinned...

Anyway, put it together on an old ITM arms receiver I had.

Shoots way left.  I generally centered the front sight post and whacked it a couple of times to get it zeroed.  It is slightly canted now but shoots perfectly.

Probably going to pin it like it is because windage way left or right triggers me something fierce.

Anyway, what would the root issue of this be?  Bent barrel?  Something else?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I mean it’s probably just the picture but disregarding the Front sight assembly the barrel looks bent to the left to me(left looking at it from the muzzle end)
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks bent.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I long ago gave up on ever trying to ID bent parts based on pictures on the internet since there is so much potential for camera lens distortion and other POV mirages.

First off: that barely even registers to me as canted. That wouldn't bother me at all. But different strokes and all...

ETA: let me clarify... If the rifle is zeroed with the front post at its current position I would consider it good. The post tower itself LOOKS canted slightly in one of the photos, but again, it can just be the way I'm looking at it or the way your photo is shot.

There is a sort of tolerance stacking game with AK barrel components and sights. If the RSB is canted, it can affect the sight picture and make it appear that the FSB is canted when it actually is not - at least in relation to the trunnion.

I have also seen where the rear sight leaf elevation ramp is either ground unevenly, or the sight leaf sits unevenly in the RSB because one of the sight leaf pegs is misshapen, or the hole drilled in the RSB for the sight leaf pegs has an issue like a small burr on one side. Any one of these things can cause the sight leaf to tilt to one side when seated on the RSB, giving the appearance of a canted FSB, and possibly affecting zero as well, requiring that the front post be moved.

Above all else... It's a mix master Egyptian AK. It looks good to me as it is. I would be very likely to pin it the way it is, enjoy it, and move on to other things in life.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#4]
this is why I use RPK rear sites on some rifles. If I have to push the front site "too far" for my OCD one way or the other, I just slap an RPK site on it and put the front site back to center.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this is why I use RPK rear sites on some rifles. If I have to push the front site "too far" for my OCD one way or the other, I just slap an RPK site on it and put the front site back to center.
View Quote

Good idea. Centerfire Systems has RPK style sights for like $10. I suspect they are old IO Sights, but they are still serviceable.

https://centerfiresystems.com/product/new-rpk-windage-adjustable-rear-sight-leaf-complete-002-0041

The finish sucks but they look better after some cold blue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good idea. Centerfire Systems has RPK style sights for like $10. I suspect they are old IO Sights, but they are still serviceable.

https://centerfiresystems.com/product/new-rpk-windage-adjustable-rear-sight-leaf-complete-002-0041

The finish sucks but they look better after some cold blue.
View Quote

I bought a couple of these. They are fine and yes I cold blued the slider.

The first thing I noticed is that the leaf blade is installed backwards. Doesn't really affect function but it is different than the one on my AES10B and every photo I've checked online. It could be flipped around easily removing a small pin, for anyone who this offends
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#7]
That front sight is pretty well centered (for an AK).  Don’t worry about it if it is zeroed good there.

My OCD hates canted sights, have fixed one or two guns, left others.  

But I do always make sure to rotate the front sight so I have just the narrowest section showing.  Having that almost turned enough to be there would probably drive me nuts.  I might turn it with the large size facing me only of that works best for zeroing.  Regardless, my AK sights only have 4 spots where I stop on rotation, but realistically only 2 most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]

If the FSP is adjusted to one side or the other as is shown in OP, then any line you draw from the FS back will obviously be skewed right or left.  IF the rifle can't be zeroed useing the built in adjustment parameters, then you may have a problem.  If you can zero it, it is fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
There are multiple parts that have to be perfectly aligned so that the front site post is even between the ears.
Front site base, Rear site base, Rear site leaf, and barrel relationship to the front trunnion.

Any of these being off can make it appear the front sight is canted (whether it is or is not).  The front site can be actually be canted but one other part is out of alignment and the front post still may be perfectly centered in the ears.  

Rear sight leafs can machined off, I've swapped them before to center the front sight post.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I think your lucky it is as good as it is considering the parts used.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top