Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/23/2020 7:05:45 PM EDT
I just got my parts kit from Apex and my Tortort receiver will be at my FFL on Friday.

I’ve checked every place I can think of, there are a couple of IMI barrels on GB for $495 which is way out of my budget for this rifle.

Question, does it matter if I buy a used barrel and it’s already got a gas port drilled?

I’m not familiar with how these things are assembled so I need to know if a used barrel can even be used in a new build.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got my parts kit from Apex and my Tortort receiver will be at my FFL on Friday.

I've checked every place I can think of, there are a couple of IMI barrels on GB for $495 which is way out of my budget for this rifle.

Question, does it matter if I buy a used barrel and it's already got a gas port drilled?

I'm not familiar with how these things are assembled so I need to know if a used barrel can even be used in a new build.
View Quote
Are you doing the building or are you having it built by a smith?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m giving it to Jeff at AZ Armory, he’s built a lot of these rifles.

I think I got a line on a barrel, Jeff at Hillbilly Firearms is chambering some Green Mountain blanks and I’m now on the wait list.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm giving it to Jeff at AZ Armory, he's built a lot of these rifles.

I think I got a line on a barrel, Jeff at Hillbilly Firearms is chambering some Green Mountain blanks and I'm now on the wait list.
View Quote

That's the way to go.  Jeff Miller built my gun.  It's a stellar shooter.
 Your barrel should be great.  Is he having it nitrided?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on how much that adds to the cost LOL

We haven’t even discussed what he wants for the barrel yet, all I know is I have one reserved out of his current batch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Did Hillbillyfirearms say those green mountain barrels are chromed lined?
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did Hillbillyfirearms say those green mountain barrels are chromed lined?
View Quote

Couple weeks ago he advised that the Sar barrels are out of stock. Are they back in stock?
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn’t even ask if they were chrome or not, and I haven’t heard anything back from him yet.

I’ll update this thread if/when he contacts me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up my Tortort receiver, I knew it was going to be heavy but damn:

I understand why most of these rifles came with carry handles now LOL
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics for the OP since I can't IM them.

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I didn't even ask if they were chrome or not, and I haven't heard anything back from him yet.

I'll update this thread if/when he contacts me.
View Quote

I had Jeff source  1 in 9 for me.  We had it Nitrided with the rest of the gun.  It's a fantastic shooter.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I reached out to Jeff for an update, he’s still waiting on another shop to finish that batch of barrels.

I ended up buying that 1:12 barrel from DriftPunch because I’m an impatient bastard.

When Jeff has a 1:7 barrel for me I might just build another gun out of it, two is better than one LOL
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I need a barrel myself
Emailed hillbilly never heard back.

I need an Sar barrel.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top