Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/9/2021 9:32:52 PM EDT
Sometime this year I might look into getting an AK74 and due to the fact that they are not easy to come by compared to the leaps and bounds more popular big brother the AK47 I might be forced to get one with a folding stock. Anyway my question is if I were forced into getting one with a folding stock would I be able to replace it with a fixed stock? I want to put red or orange wood on it so that is why i ask? And when I say folding stock I am referring to the ones that have a receiver with a button to fold the stock to the left. Like the ones with the solid folding plastic stock on it. Or is that a case where a fixed stock like a wood one wouldn't work with that kind of receiver with the button on it and all? Or would it still be possible to put one on it and the button just isn't used for anything? Just curious so I don't buy one and regret it later if that is all there is at the time at PSA or Gun Broker for that matter? Thanks in advance for any info!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would strongly recommend against doing that. First, and this is personal, why would you not want to take advantage of the full length folding stock? You get the benefit of the folding mechanism to make it shorter and the ability to instantly convert it to a standard length. I guess it would be desirable if you want it to look like the first generation AK74s.

Anyway, the receivers for the fixed stock and folding stock are not the same, especially the extra holes for the folding mechanism at the back, on both sides. There's also a hole in the left front for the locking mechanism when folded. Then there's the rear trunnion you'd need for the fixed stock. If you were going to do such a conversion, you'd have to find a good welder to cover the holes and grind them flat. Then you'd need a good AK builder to drill new holes, install the fixed trunnion and refinish the receiver. By then, you could have simply bought a new receiver.

This is like buying a new convertible Camaro and wondering how hard it would be to make it a hardtop.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would strongly recommend against doing that. First, and this is personal, why would you not want to take advantage of the full length folding stock? You get the benefit of the folding mechanism to make it shorter and the ability to instantly convert it to a standard length. I guess it would be desirable if you want it to look like the first generation AK74s.

Anyway, the receivers for the fixed stock and folding stock are not the same, especially the extra holes for the folding mechanism at the back, on both sides. There's also a hole in the left front for the locking mechanism when folded. Then there's the rear trunnion you'd need for the fixed stock. If you were going to do such a conversion, you'd have to find a good welder to cover the holes and grind them flat. Then you'd need a good AK builder to drill new holes, install the fixed trunnion and refinish the receiver. By then, you could have simply bought a new receiver.

This is like buying a new convertible Camaro and wondering how hard it would be to make it a hardtop.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I talked to Rob Ski of the AK Operators Union via email and he said the same that it is more trouble than it is worth. Yeah I want one that looks like a first generation one since I am more interested in looks than anything else. Since it is not going to be my go to rifle anyway. I think what I will do is if I can't find one when the time comes that is fixed then I will get a folder and then just by a Nodak Spud receiver for it that is for fixed stocks and just take all the parts off of it like the barrel and pretty much everything else minus the folding stock so then I can have one with a fixed wood stock and handguards.  But if I ever get a second one then I might go with one with black furniture and a solid folding stock that time around. Thanks once again for letting me know so I don't make any mistakes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Just out of curiosity, what is the gun's origin, Russian, Bulgarian? Of course you do as you wish, but if it were me, I'd keep the folding stock one and just get another with a fixed stock or try a trade with someone.

I personally like the look of the first generation Russian AK-74s too and I have a Saiga Legion fixed stock in 5.45x39. Last month I ordered a complete Russian wood furniture set from Russia...just waiting for the set to arrive via the proverbial slow boat.

I also have a Saiga Legion fixed stock in 7.62x39 but I may keep that one with the plastic furniture to look more "correct", even though I don't believe the Russians made a 100-series in 7.62 with a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, what is the gun's origin, Russian, Bulgarian? Of course you do as you wish, but if it were me, I'd keep the folding stock one and just get another with a fixed stock or try a trade with someone.

I personally like the look of the first generation Russian AK-74s too and I have a Saiga Legion fixed stock in 5.45x39. Last month I ordered a complete Russian wood furniture set from Russia...just waiting for the set to arrive via the proverbial slow boat.

I also have a Saiga Legion fixed stock in 7.62x39 but I may keep that one with the plastic furniture to look more "correct", even though I don't believe the Russians made a 100-series in 7.62 with a fixed stock.
View Quote

Actually I don't even have one yet. I am not even 100% sure I will get one this year. I have a list of rifles I want to get and it is going to be based on what is available when I have close to three grand available by the 3rd or fourth quarter of this year. It will either be a AK-74, Styer AUG, a vintage Armalite, Howa or (preferably) Sterling AR-180, Bushmaster M17S, IWI X95, a CETME 5.56mm or a Tommy Built Tactical TG36 (Heckler And Koch G36 clone).

That sounds like a nice rifle alright! That Saiga Legion you mentioned. Hope you get the wood furniture for it soon man. You'll have to post photos of it in one of the gallery threads when you have the Russian wood on it!

And yeah I am sure like alot of my guns i will probably have several AK-74's down the road.

I always like to plan way ahead so that is why I decided to start this thread. Checked a few out on Gun Broker and there are some tempting ones if I had the money. There are 2 Circle 10 one's on there for under three grand and a Century Arms for two grand even and a folding stock PSA for two grand five hundred. If I do get a AK-74 by the end of the year I will let you know and post some photos. Thanks again for the kind replies!

"You'll Regret This My Lady... That I Promise." Albert Wesker in Bio-hazard: Umbrella Chronicles
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top