Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/1/2017 9:22:54 PM EDT
I've been searching the net and supposedly the TRS 25 is made in the same factory as the PA Microdot.

Is this true, are they roughly the same, or is the PA better?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know about that but I have both and from a cursory glance they are very similar. I just received the PA though so I need to mess with it a little more to see how the quality is.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used both for years and both are dependable dots that never gave me any issue. I've seen the trs around $44 lately on Amazon and that is a great value. So with both being great dots I will say that the Sig Romeo 5 that come with low and hi mounts with 50k life, motion activated on and off plus lifetime warranty all for about 130 shipped is a best buy in my eyes. I have some Sig 5s and 4s, and some holosuns. Only dots among all these brands that I've owned that's given me trouble are the holosuns.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used both for years and both are dependable dots that never gave me any issue. I've seen the trs around $44 lately on Amazon and that is a great value. So with both being great dots I will say that the Sig Romeo 5 that come with low and hi mounts with 50k life, motion activated on and off plus lifetime warranty all for about 130 shipped is a best buy in my eyes. I have some Sig 5s and 4s, and some holosuns. Only dots among all these brands that I've owned that's given me trouble are the holosuns.
View Quote
Thanks for the good info. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I run more than a few TRS-25s on ARs & AKs, no issues. To me the biggest difference is that the PAs have more features like auto-off while the TRS-25 is just a no frills dial switch. I think both are good choices for budget optics.

Last TRS-25 I bought was during the Black Friday sales for $45 shipped from Amazon. I think normally they're about $70 shipped.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I run more than a few TRS-25s on ARs & AKs, no issues. To me the biggest difference is that the PAs have more features like auto-off while the TRS-25 is just a no frills dial switch. I think both are good choices for budget optics.

Last TRS-25 I bought was during the Black Friday sales for $45 shipped from Amazon. I think normally they're about $70 shipped.
View Quote
I just bought a TRS 25 for $44.00 from Amazon..

It seems like a decent optic. I
bought a generic 28mm flip cap for the objective ( for less than $5), made a home made Kill flash from black fiberglass mosquito screen and  replaced the crappy mount screw with a flat head one.

Didn't know PA has auto shut off?
Not crazy about that feature......
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The new $149, 50,000 hour battery life, LIFETIME WARRANTY (no questions asked) PA Microdot makes it really, really hard to buy anything else these days. Even an Aimpoint.

It has a dial, no auto-shutoff, uses regular Aimpoint Micro mounts, etc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The new $149, 50,000 hour battery life, LIFETIME WARRANTY (no questions asked) PA Microdot makes it really, really hard to buy anything else these days. Even an Aimpoint.

It has a dial, no auto-shutoff, uses regular Aimpoint Micro mounts, etc.
View Quote
This is good to know because I definitely do not want auto shut off and much prefer a dial.

As much as I love Aimpoint, they are nuts for what they are charging for their micros.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#8]
PA makes some good quality stuff, but read up on the auto on/off feature. There are some complaints of how it works in low light situations.
I don't know if PA & Bushnells come out of the same factory, they're both clones of the same optic so yea, they're gonna look similar.

There's another thread about someone's TRS-25 lens flying off. If that happened to me, I'd look at another optic. But the design is pretty solid, even the $20 Redfields seem to be pretty tough. I took a chance on one of those and stuck it on my Beretta 9mm Storm carbine and it's held up well so far, which is more than I can say for my Sightmark Ultra Shot Plus sights.

I'm really disappointed in the Sightmarks, they're the ones with the digital switches. First one I bought runs great, on a 7.62x39 carbine so it sees some recoil. very clear optics for the price. So I bought two more for ARs and both of those would shut off under recoil. Which probably wouldn't be that big of an issue if they were mechanical switches, but with the digital switch when it's off, it's off. Has to manually be turned back on. So they're on rimfire rifles, but if they act up again they're in the trash if they can't perform as well as a $20 Redfield.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What $20.00 redfield are you talking about?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Field Sport, not Redfield, sorry. Available from Amazon for $21.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Field Sport, not Redfield, sorry. Available from Amazon for $21.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I've researched the field sport and found that one problem with some of them is the brightness knob coming off. However it's supposedly an easy fix by taking apart and lock tightening the screws underneath. There is a you tube video on this.

The housing looks to be identical to the PA microdot.

In all likelihood made in the same factory.

It may be worth a try for $20.00 to mess around with?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both. Both work great. PA is noticeably brighter in daylight at higher settings. Never cared about NV capabilities but being able to see the dot tracking clay pigeons on a sunny day...PA hands down. TRS still gets it done though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a TRS 25. It sits on my Sig 522. I has worked well for the last 5 years, but it feels cheap. Glass has lots of green to it. Mounting option is zero. Mount is bulit into the sight body unlike the Aimpoint style. Adjustment knob is at a stupid angled position.

Given the options available today I would skip the TRS 25.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top