Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/3/2020 8:45:28 PM EDT
So I have decided it would be smart to have some non 4473 guns here in New York, and not being able to socialize what better time then now. I have familiarized myself with the AK build process but the majority of the flats, pre-bent 80% receivers and jigs and templates are designed around the standard AKM pattern, who would want to build up a bastardized sporter variant? Well I live in NY and will for at least the next 3-5 years.

The help that I need is to help better understand the orientation of the saiga sporter FCG, and for someone who has a saiga sporter to either mic out with calipers or make a tracing of the receivers side that I can use as a template. I've bought a handful of sporter FCG's and a sporter buttstock. Apparently there is a sort of lever that interacts between the trigger and the hammer/disconnector and none of the FCG's included that lever, so I need details of that part as well.  

My build plan is to use standard surplus AKM kits with US barrels and either the threads rounded down or muzzle nuts tacked on. For the receivers I like the idea of using the AK builder pre-bent 80% with already welded in guide rails and heat treated ejectors. I might get some flats and a trunion to practice my riveting on since the prevent/welded/treated 80% frames are a lot more expensive.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I am using this thread to locate information both for myself and for others who might follow in my footsteps.

I found the following on calguns after some deep digging:

"The rear hole is 1.283" from the rear of the receiver, this is the center of the hole BTW. The distance between the 2 holes is .655" center to center. The holes are .319" from the bottom of the receiver to the center of the hole."  The following post identifies the two holes as being 4mm

Calguns link: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1466794

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I may have some left over Saiga parts.
I do have another butt stock for sure ,maybe some others ,I will need to look.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll pull the unmod'ed Saiga out of the safe tomorrow and see what I can get for you as far as dimensions.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top