Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2018 9:16:12 AM EDT
Here the thread about the MAK-90

1000rds of Ulyanovsk 7.62x39mm 8m3 Effect

160rds of 7.62x39mm HP L.C.B.

480rds of Norinco 7.62x39mm

Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The first 2 pictures are nothing special, good cartridges to plink or small game hunt with.  The last picture of the Norinco ammo is probably standard lead core ball ammo, but without any headstamp info, it's hard to tell.  The Chinese back in the peak of flooding the American market with millions of rounds of ammo, the overwhelming majority of which was steel core ball, were notorious for throwing anything in a wooden case.  Stories of tins of tracer, and API as well, were common, with most people not knowing exactly the mother lode that they had just purchased for $120 or so.  The good ole days for sure.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually that first picture is the most special. That’s Uly 8m3 effect. The best hollow point Ammo for 7.62x39 ever Imported in quantity. Don’t waste it on plinking as it makes for a excellent hunting and defensive Ammo choice. Save it or sell it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You can buy new 8m3; just keep in mind that the chinese ammo is corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The Norinco silver box was corrosive?  I shot thousands of rounds of that through my Chinese SKS and never knew that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Norinco silver box was corrosive?  I shot thousands of rounds of that through my Chinese SKS and never knew that.
View Quote
I treat all ChiCom ammo as if its corrosive and clean appropriately. That being said, I shot the living snot of the copper washed ChiCom 60s dated x39 with no ill effects.
Just clean it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have shot cases of the 8m3 back in the day.  It is corrosive for sure but shoots well.
Still have a case from the 80s.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The Chicom ammo is corrosive or non and the label has no value. I have shot Chicom .223 that was corrosive as well. It was labeled as non-corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Chicom ammo is corrosive or non and the label has no value. I have shot Chicom .223 that was corrosive as well. It was labeled as non-corrosive.
View Quote
+1 lost a mini14 to chicom yellow box 223.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all great ammo.  Good score, especially the 8M3 "Effect", I still have some from years ago.   Depending when it was made the Chinese may be non-corrosive.

Quoted:
I have shot cases of the 8m3 back in the day.  It is corrosive for sure but shoots well.
Still have a case from the 80s.
View Quote
Are you saying the 8M3 is corrosive?  I shot a lot of it and never cleaned like corrosive and never had any issues with corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The Chinese is lead cored, identifiable by the knurled cannelure around the projectile above the case mouth. If the primer sealant is red, it is non corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Still have a case of Chicom yellow box,also have some green box. Never had any problems with corrosion. Was some damned good shooting stuff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The first 2 pictures are nothing special, good cartridges to plink or small game hunt with.  The last picture of the Norinco ammo is probably standard lead core ball ammo, but without any headstamp info, it's hard to tell.  The Chinese back in the peak of flooding the American market with millions of rounds of ammo, the overwhelming majority of which was steel core ball, were notorious for throwing anything in a wooden case.  Stories of tins of tracer, and API as well, were common, with most people not knowing exactly the mother lode that they had just purchased for $120 or so.  The good ole days for sure.
View Quote
All kinds of wrong in this reply.

The Effect is top notch ammo and very collectable and effective.Very rare to see a entire case intact.I would grab this stuff over the new 8M3 all day everyday.Its made in the UlY plant in Russia

The LCB is damn good ammo as well in HP.I just snagged a full sealed case of this for $199 from a gunshop.This stuff was made in the early 90's usually 1994 or so.

The Norinco is just blasting or collecting ammo,accuracy is shit and its dirty.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
The Lead Core Ball is pre-Wolf Russian and was coming in 1360-rd cases for around $90 in about 1990. It is non-corrosive and basically good ammo except it is not particularly accurate. Does anyone else think it's interesting that it can be hollow-point and 'ball' ammo at the same time? :)
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All kinds of wrong in this reply.

The Effect is top notch ammo and very collectable and effective.Very rare to see a entire case intact.I would grab this stuff over the new 8M3 all day everyday.Its made in the UlY plant in Russia

The LCB is damn good ammo as well in HP.I just snagged a full sealed case of this for $199 from a gunshop.This stuff was made in the early 90's usually 1994 or so.

The Norinco is just blasting or collecting ammo,accuracy is shit and its dirty.
View Quote
T18B40's knowledge of 7.62x39mm ammunition is solid. Nothing wrong with his information.

"Effect" is not "top notch", but it is good for cheap Russian ammunition. Nothing magical about it.

The generic "HP LCB" is just plinking grade ammunition. The hollow point is just there to satisfy the import requirement at the time for hunting ammunition.

Lots of folks have varied experiences with Chinese x39. I've been shooting AKs since Chi-Com ammunition was 99% of what was available. I would not call it inaccurate or dirty. I've had more problems with Russian made x39 than Chinese. Actually zero problems with Chinese...
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I was wrong - the 'L.C.B.' is actually 'Lead Core Boat tail'. I knew that but forgot. People bought this stuff by the ton and guys are still out there shooting it. It used to be stacked up at the gun show in white plasticized paper 'battle packs' that are great for storage without using an ammo can.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top