Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2020 6:34:25 AM EDT
If I like them I'll buy more.  Hoping that PSA also brings their version to market next year.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AK-30RD-5-56x45MM-WINDOW-MAGAZINE-AC-UNITY-392p7087.htm
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely post a review when you get them!
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I got four; been looking forward to trying them. I’ve been generally pretty happy with their mags.

They also had the 45-rd 5.45 mags so I got four of those as well. Can’t ever have too many!

The 45-rd 5.56 mags are due in another month or two, hopefully they are good too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
My four showed up today.

No shooting review unfortunately, but I did test them a bit with my 106FR and 106UR SBR.  They lock into the guns just fine.  The rear lug is maybe a hair bigger than Bulgarian and Polish ones, but it does give a good "click" on locking in.  After doing it a couple times it wears in a bit.  Both lugs are metal reinforced, which is nice.  Feed lips are not reinforced, but I'm also not entirely sold on that being a make-or-break issue.  Polish Beryl mags are entirely un-reinforced anywhere, and the Beryl is usually held up as the pinnacle of 5.56 AK design.

I put a couple Magpul dummy rounds in them and hand cycled, no issues stripping them from the magazine.  These have the newer (for lack of a numerical designation) generation AC-Unity bolt hold open follower, which makes very solid contact with the bolt.  No concerns about it chewing the edge off or anything.  Holds open when empty, bolt snaps forward when you pull the mag.

AC-Unity has gotten dinged online for very "flexible" magazines that supposedly compress very easily if you squeeze on the sides.  They do have a hair of flex to them, but nothing like what I've heard described.  I generally try to avoid crushing the sides of my magazines. I think it's a non-issue.

I generally like the AC-Unity product line so I'm happy with the AK 5.56 flavor and I'll order another 4 when they come back in stock, as well as the 5.56 45-rounders when they hit.  I wish someone would start making some small-bore RPKs already!  (Help me Obi-wan PSA, you're my only hope!)

Link Posted: 9/5/2020 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My four showed up today.

No shooting review unfortunately, but I did test them a bit with my 106FR and 106UR SBR.  They lock into the guns just fine.  The rear lug is maybe a hair bigger than Bulgarian and Polish ones, but it does give a good "click" on locking in.  After doing it a couple times it wears in a bit.  Both lugs are metal reinforced, which is nice.  Feed lips are not reinforced, but I'm also not entirely sold on that being a make-or-break issue.  Polish Beryl mags are entirely un-reinforced anywhere, and the Beryl is usually held up as the pinnacle of 5.56 AK design.

I put a couple Magpul dummy rounds in them and hand cycled, no issues stripping them from the magazine.  These have the newer (for lack of a numerical designation) generation AC-Unity bolt hold open follower, which makes very solid contact with the bolt.  No concerns about it chewing the edge off or anything.  Holds open when empty, bolt snaps forward when you pull the mag.

AC-Unity has gotten dinged online for very "flexible" magazines that supposedly compress very easily if you squeeze on the sides.  They do have a hair of flex to them, but nothing like what I've heard described.  I generally try to avoid crushing the sides of my magazines. I think it's a non-issue.

I generally like the AC-Unity product line so I'm happy with the AK 5.56 flavor and I'll order another 4 when they come back in stock, as well as the 5.56 45-rounders when they hit.  I wish someone would start making some small-bore RPKs already!  (Help me Obi-wan PSA, you're my only hope!)

http://www.findsman.com/arfcom/106pair.jpg
View Quote

Cool!  Let us know when you get a chance to shoot them.  Magpul mags don’t have metal either so it’s not a make or break issue, but they have to be put through their paces.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Took two to the range today and fired 30rds out of each.  Both functioned perfectly.

Rifle used was a SLR-106F.

Only two minor things that bother me just a bit.  1) I don’t think the window is needed.  They should save the time and money and go without.  2) Very slight travel back and forth of the baseplate.  Again very, very minor.

Would I buy again?  Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Took two to the range today and fired 30rds out of each.  Both functioned perfectly.

Rifle used was a SLR-106F.

Only two minor things that bother me just a bit.  1) I don’t think the window is needed.  They should save the time and money and go without.  2) Very slight travel back and forth of the baseplate.  Again very, very minor.

Would I buy again?  Absolutely.
View Quote

@0351

Thanks for the update.  Order placed for the 5.56 30 rounders.  I'm also excited about the 45 rounders as well @Findsman.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered a 40 round 7.62 and a 45 round 5.45 mag today. Excited to try them out.  Will follow up when I get to shoot with them.  The recoilweb.com video seems cool and the prices are smoking cheap.  We will see.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a Zastava Z-PAP85 pistol and have tested the mags us know your findings.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you have a Zastava Z-PAP85 pistol and have tested the mags us know your findings.
View Quote

@0351

Are these mags supposed to fit the M85?  I have a couple of M85 SBR's.  I will try these mags in them when I get the order from RTG.  I don't think they will fit but you never know.  I bought so many factory M85's that I'm all set there.  My last order was when the price was at the bottom, $7.99 per mag.  I was going to order 20, but when I placed the order, I accidentally bought 40 of them!  I was fine with it because they had originally cost 35 to $40.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@0351

Are these mags supposed to fit the M85?  I have a couple of M85 SBR's.  I will try these mags in them when I get the order from RTG.  I don't think they will fit but you never know.  I bought so many factory M85's that I'm all set there.  My last order was when the price was at the bottom, $7.99 per mag.  I was going to order 20, but when I placed the order, I accidentally bought 40 of them!  I was fine with it because they had originally cost 35 to $40.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@0351

@C-4

Glad to hear you'll be testing them in your M85's.  Looking forward to the results.

I'm thinking of picking up a M85 so that's what prompted my question.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@C-4

Glad to hear you'll be testing them in your M85's.  Looking forward to the results.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@0351

@C-4

Got it.  The M85 is very cool.  I bought pistols and had stocks put on them, both CNC Warrior sidefolder and also an underfolder stock.  I’m sure you can do a brace as well.  I almost bought a parts kit a decade plus ago from Ohio Rapid Fire but it was $999.  Then I would have had to source a receiver for it, have it built, and the magazines were 35 to $40 each.  I ended up not buying it and then the M85 pistols came out.  I was super happy about that!
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top