Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2021 1:45:21 PM EDT
So I have an Arsenal SLR-101S (same exact gun as the SAM7R-61) and cannot get the front pin removed from the gas block.  I got a new muzzle brake for it and had to take the old one off.  When I pressed the muzzle brake detent pin into the gas block it got stock inside of it and I can't get it out.  I know the front gas block pin is what holds it in there so I was planning on putting the new brake on then tapping the front sight block pin until it releases tension on the muzzle brake detent pin so it can come out into the opening on the new brake, then I'll press the gas block pin back in.  But the issue is I cannot get the damn front gas block pin out.  I've hit it with a punch and brass hammer, then tried the punch and regular hammer to get some more force behind it and it hasn't move an inch.  I don't want to mess up the finish anymore.  It looks like when Arsenal applied their BBQ paint over the gun they also applied it over the gas block pins.

I did get some shims and a crush washer in case I can't get the gas block pin out, but I'd rather get the detent released and use that to hold the brake on than the shims and crush washer.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Here is the pin in question:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I have an Arsenal SLR-101S (same exact gun as the SAM7R-61) and cannot get the front pin removed from the gas block.  I got a new muzzle brake for it and had to take the old one off.  When I pressed the muzzle brake detent pin into the gas block it got stock inside of it and I can't get it out.  I know the front gas block pin is what holds it in there so I was planning on putting the new brake on then tapping the front sight block pin until it releases tension on the muzzle brake detent pin so it can come out into the opening on the new brake, then I'll press the gas block pin back in.  But the issue is I cannot get the damn front gas block pin out.  I've hit it with a punch and brass hammer, then tried the punch and regular hammer to get some more force behind it and it hasn't move an inch.  I don't want to mess up the finish anymore.  It looks like when Arsenal applied their BBQ paint over the gun they also applied it over the gas block pins.

I did get some shims and a crush washer in case I can't get the gas block pin out, but I'd rather get the detent released and use that to hold the brake on than the shims and crush washer.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Here is the pin in question:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467814/1907_3__jpg-1799171.JPG
View Quote

I'm a little confused...are you trying to get the pin out of the gas block or the FSB? I'm assuming you mean the FSB. And which pin is stuck, the detent pin or the pin securing the FSB to the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
First I would get a plastic dead blow mallet and try whacking the FSB with it to release the detent pin... I would also try lightly tapping the detent pin with a punch to see if it will release whatever is holding it back - there is probably a burr in the detent pin channel that it's stuck on. Then if that doesn't work, proceed to pushing the pin.

If you cannot get the pin to budge with a punch and if you do not have a press the next best option is a bench vise. Here is how I have done it: you will need a small socket set, small brass washers, and a socket driven allen head or hex head set. Stack the washers on one side of the FSB so that the pin will pass through the hole in the center of the washer. You may need to cut off part of the washer to get the washer stack to fit flush against the flat side of the FSB once placed in the vise. Then place the socketed allen/hex head on the other side against the face of the pin to use as a push pin. Carefully tighten the vise until all components are square, then slowly tighten. The vise should push the pin out easily and smoothly. Wear eye protection

Once you have pushed the pin out far enough that it contacts the other side of the vise, you can swap the washers out for a socket - just make sure the socket is long enough to "catch" the pin, and place a brass washer between the socket and the FSB so that the finish is not damaged. Brass is very soft and will deform before the metal ever does

Trick works for small and big pins alike.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First I would get a plastic dead blow mallet and try whacking the FSB with it to release the detent pin... I would also try lightly tapping the detent pin with a punch to see if it will release whatever is holding it back - there is probably a burr in the detent pin channel that it's stuck on. Then if that doesn't work, proceed to pushing the pin.

If you cannot get the pin to budge with a punch and if you do not have a press the next best option is a bench vise. Here is how I have done it: you will need a small socket set, small brass washers, and a socket driven allen head or hex head set. Stack the washers on one side of the FSB so that the pin will pass through the hole in the center of the washer. You may need to cut off part of the washer to get the washer stack to fit flush against the flat side of the FSB once placed in the vise. Then place the socketed allen/hex head on the other side against the face of the pin to use as a push pin. Carefully tighten the vise until all components are square, then slowly tighten. The vise should push the pin out easily and smoothly. Wear eye protection

Once you have pushed the pin out far enough that it contacts the other side of the vise, you can swap the washers out for a socket - just make sure the socket is long enough to "catch" the pin, and place a brass washer between the socket and the FSB so that the finish is not damaged. Brass is very soft and will deform before the metal ever does

Trick works for small and big pins alike.

https://i.imgur.com/RiUJ11e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jzjEBru.jpeg
View Quote
^ Solid advice!

I have done many of them and just use a puck and starrett punch and hammer and pretend to be Thor and it has worked every time so far.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a little confused...are you trying to get the pin out of the gas block or the FSB? I'm assuming you mean the FSB. And which pin is stuck, the detent pin or the pin securing the FSB to the barrel?
View Quote

Trying to get the front pin out of the FSB that is securing it to the barrel to release the detent pin which is the one that is stuck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks mancat and SScot.  I'll give the bench vise thing a try later today and see if that gets it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Couldn't even get it out with the vise

I'm just going to torque the brake onto the crush washer.  I've already marred the finish pretty (trying to use the hammer/punch) good so I will need to put a dab of BBQ paint on it.

I appreciate the help guys.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#7]
sometimes oil and powder gets mixed up in there. stand it on the butt, and put some penetrating oil on it. Let it soak over night and see if that will loosen it up.

That has worked for me in the past.

Some pins are just horrible to remove. I debanned a Chines AK for one of my COs a few years ago and ended up just cutting the front site off the pins were so stuck.

Another option may be to add some heat, if you have a torch. Only think I'd worry about is the paint. Heat and oil may work too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top