Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2017 6:44:04 PM EDT
Moved to Free America last year. Now that I can have them, I want SBRs and cans.
I built an AK rifle from a Polish kit and Childers receiver. Came out pretty good.
I saw an SBR AK at my LGS. Sadly, it's not for sale. But, I want one now.

I'm thinking of going with a 9 inch barrel. I may suppress it sometimes.

So here are my questions...

I found a few rifle parts kits online. If I get one of those kits, what needs to be different for an SBR aside from the barrel?
Do I need a completely different bolt? Or do I just need to change out the piston and tube?
Have any of you built an SBR AK from a kit? What did you run into?

Thanks for any help!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the model it may come with its own quirks. But generally, you'll just need to shorten the piston and shorten the gas tube. At 9", you shouldn't have any issues really. I've found that using a standard size gas port is generally sufficient for SBR'd AKs given they're overgassed to begin with.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I can only comment on what I've done so far with mine...

Cut the pulled Yugo barrel back to 10" and used an L1A1 GB/FSB since it was more "square" and didn't take up as much length on the barrel. Had a dinged up chinese RSB in the parts box along with some other dinged/damaged parts. The masking tape with marks on it indicate where I'll have to remove some metal to get it to fit in the hungarian front trunnion, due to the location of where the RSB mounts on a Yugo barrel. Not sure if I have to shorten the gas piston yet but I do know that the O.D. of the piston head will need to be turned down some  to work with the smaller I.D. of the L1A1 GB. Or I'll have to use an FAL gas piston fitted to the AK BC to get it to work together. I plan on threading the barrel to 5/8-24in. so it will accept .308 AR-10 muzzle devices, possibly a QD/direct thread suppressor mount.

Probably going with the Magpul Zhoukov-U HG and a KAK pistol brace if I can find a mount for the rear trunnion that isn't bulky as hell. I started this build to get some experience on the lathe & do something with the parts I had on hand already. Should have less than $300 in it when done.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#3]
@56type That looks pretty damn interesting. Sadly, I do not have a lathe or mill at my disposal. Please keep me posted on how your build is going!!
And thank you for your input!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say the easiest would be converting a pistol like a Draco or M92.

Never done one, but my bet would be drilling out the rivets of the rear trunnion and swapping to whatever style you want (fixed, side folder, UF). Fixed would probably be easiest. Underfolder will require opening up the receiver for the attachment (3 holes each side). Side folder may need a catch cut out...don't have a side folder so I'm not sure.

So you'll need to be able to drill out rivets, press new ones, probably drill/cut receiver, and I guess depending on the differences in trunnions, welding up old rivet holes.

AEnemaBay I'm sure would know better than I would exactly what would need to be done. But to me, it's easier to mess with the back end than the front.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
@MCW

Got a bit more done to the muzzle. Threaded to 5/8-24 and have a crush washer & A2 flash hider incoming. I guess I'll shoot it with the FAL brake and A2 FH and see which I like built once the build is complete.

Link Posted: 1/17/2018 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#6]
@56type
Looks great! I was eyeing up a few 10.5" pistols at the local gun show last weekend.
I saw a 10.5" pistol parts kit with no receiver for about $400. The guys shop is kinda local and if he still has it in a few weeks, I will pick it up.
I figure I can swap in a rear trunion from a Polish kit and find a good wood buttstock to use on it. Then I just have to decide if I will roll my own receiver or get
a NoDak for it. Probably going to get the NoDak though. Have them mark it up all custom and whatnot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
So...It's been a while. But, I have an update.
I ended up getting a deal on a Draco pistol. It has a 12" barrel and I'm OK with that.
Picked up a wood buttstock on the EE for cheap.
Got a rear trunion, rivet kit, and necessary hardware to SBR this thing.
Waiting on my permission stamp from the ATF.

Once I get the stamp I'm going to need a rear trunion rivet tool. Hopefully I can find one to use locally.

Pics when I start assembly....
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So...It's been a while. But, I have an update.
I ended up getting a deal on a Draco pistol. It has a 12" barrel and I'm OK with that.
Picked up a wood buttstock on the EE for cheap.
Got a rear trunion, rivet kit, and necessary hardware to SBR this thing.
Waiting on my permission stamp from the ATF.

Once I get the stamp I'm going to need a rear trunion rivet tool. Hopefully I can find one to use locally.

Pics when I start assembly....
View Quote
I've had good luck with this tool for pressing long rivets:

http://www.tothtool.com/AK-Long-Rivet-Tool_p_12.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've had good luck with this tool for pressing long rivets:

http://www.tothtool.com/AK-Long-Rivet-Tool_p_12.html
View Quote
That's the exact tool I have sitting at home on my bench.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Just remembered I started this thread and never posted pictures of the new Shorty...

Here she is... All stamped and legal and stuff...

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#11]
nice work!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks great! Love the traditional buttstock SBR's.

My draco SBR is a bit...heavier. I don't recommend the alpha clone its too fat!

Wish I’d kept it simple like yours.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243189/977D7CAE-712B-4D08-AE7C-E2AAB7B12581-1851379.jpg
View Quote

@Norinco982lover Nice!!

What can is that??
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:23:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I started this one last year and kinda stopped when I noticed my X/Y holes are a smidge off.  I’ve got to pull it down and go at a new blank with it then F1 it.  It’s an AMD kit that I got hands on a romy 12” barrel and romy fsgb.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I started this one last year and kinda stopped when I noticed my X/Y holes are a smidge off.  I’ve got to pull it down and go at a new blank with it then F1 it.  It’s an AMD kit that I got hands on a romy 12” barrel and romy fsgb.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/ABBFDECC-6D83-468E-9C28-0F68DFE3C2AA-1795728.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top