Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2022 12:02:03 PM EDT
Has anyone that owned a Arsenal Milled receiver AK ever removed the lower tang on said AK, and were you able to somehow re-install it?

With the brevity of options for stocks on the arsenal milled receivers, and of those options, some require removing the lower tang that holds the stock. It looks to be simple enough, with just grinding off the heads of the rivets or drilling them out, as oppose to just cutting the tang off at the base of the receiver.

But that still is a more permanent modification then I would care to commit to, at least without checking all options, and finding out if it is easily reversible, or if I should start looking for a new gunsmith if im going to go this route.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are the only one that can really answer the question, how good are you at replacing the rivets? That is what needs to be done to replace the tang piece, so if you can do it easily then it's easy, if you can't then it isn't.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn’t do it. Milled Bulgy guns are only going up in value.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GRMGR1:
I wouldn’t do it. Milled Bulgy guns are only going up in value.
View Quote

Listen to this guy.  Milled AKs are already rare and if imports ever get banned then the milled Arsenal prices will skyrocket.

You'll tank the value if you cut off that tang.  If you plan on keeping the gun forever and that's what you want to do then go ahead and do it.  If you plan on ever getting rid of it just know that the value will be decline drastically from that sort of mod.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Modify the cheaper part...

You can always replace a stock. Getting the lower tang back in might present problems.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Years ago, I had a gunsmith add the lower tang to my SLR-96 and it seemed like a straightforward job.  He had to drill the holes and smash the rivets.  Fortunately the groove was already machined, some of the Bulgarian milled receivers in the ban configuration weren’t.

I’m not recommending you saw off your lower tang BUT Arsenal Inc has lower tangs in stock with two rivets for $9.39. .

In your situation the holes are already there so it shouldn’t be too hard to put right if you sawed off the tang and wanted to add it back later.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You’d be a fool to make any permanent modification to a Milled bulgy especially right now when we’re so close to loosing even more imports.. what kind of stock are you looking for anyway..? There are quite a few options for milled rifles.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]
While I wouldn't do it, removing the LOWER tang on a Soviet pattern milled receiver isn't permanent (so long as you remove the rivets cleanly).
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top