Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/21/2020 10:52:02 PM EDT
Who has experience with these barrels? Worth a damn? Who manufactures these barrels?  Life expectancy?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one but unfortunately the rifle isn’t built yet, the receiver should be here tomorrow. I’ve read good things on the recent barrels, the earlier ones from a couple of years ago were hit and miss due to worn out cutters. I’ve read the current production barrels are really accurate but they are not chromed lined or nitride. I’m thinking of having mine nitrided though....
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one but unfortunately the rifle isn’t built yet, the receiver should be here tomorrow. I’ve read good things on the recent barrels, the earlier ones from a couple of years ago were hit and miss due to worn out cutters. I’ve read the current production barrels are really accurate but they are not chromed lined or nitride. I’m thinking of having mine nitrided though....
View Quote

When you say the ones from a few years ago, you aren't referring to the nitrided IMI barrels are you? I have one that is unbuilt still.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I’m talking about the GM barrels from about 2 years ago or so I’ve read.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The Green Mountain barrels were from a run they did a long time ago when Century was building Golani rifles.  The channels for the handguard retainer and gas block pins were pre-cut into the barrel and would not automatically align in the correct position in most receivers.  They were 1 in 9 twist and unfinished(in the white).  I bought a kit and I chose the 1 in 9, not knowing that they were from that old lot, and sure enough, the cuts were about 45 degrees short.  Since I didn't want to have to start performing surgery on the barrel, I exchanged it for the 1 in 7 twist parkerized barrel that they offer.  That barrel headspaced perfectly when torqued into position, and then I was able to mill the cuts for the gas block pins and handguard retainer in the proper position.  I had so much fun that I purchased a second receiver(Tortort 80%) and kit, and the second barrel also torqued into proper position and headspace without alteration.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#5]
We shall see how the current crop of apex barrels does. Got one in & got the rifle put together. Hope to get out to the range this weekend and give it a go.  Hoping for good things, I've got a SAR kit coming & will be needing a barrel for that as well. Even if it is going on a crappy old orf receiver.  

Point of interest though. Drilled the gas port in the apex galil barrel at the same time as an ak builder M64 barrel. Seemed like the apex barrel was more dense.  Used a #25 bit through the gas block to get started then a #50 to do the actual port.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Matt, I take it that you did the work yourself? What size is the gas port?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Started with the recommended #50 / .070 drill bit.

I did this one, but am thinking about sending the next one out. Haven't decided yet, since I like building my own guns.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/Yugo-M64-reweld/51-166470/
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I just dropped all my stuff at the smith today, I’m 15th in line so the wait begins. He is recovering from the Kung Flu so I hope I will get it in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Looking forward to seeing it.

Starting with the next one now. Gonna be a pain in the ass though. Mucho work to get it there.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Status?
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top