Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/7/2022 3:05:46 PM EDT
My nephew wants to buy my AK-74 and I have no idea what to ask for it.
I don't want to screw him on the price, but I can't afford to screw myself.

Details on what I have..........
The rifle is a Bulgarian AK-74 built from a new, unfired Bulgarian kit as imported in the 2000's by K-Var.
The receiver is an Armory USA stamped receiver, which was one of the best available at that time.
I replaced the Bulgarian butt stock with an Ironwood Designs laminated stock.
It has the chrome lined "zig-zag" muzzle brake and original Bulgarian chrome lined barrel.
All numbers match.

The rifle was bought from Ohio Rapid Fire, but this is a good one.
It's fired one can of Polish 7N6 ammo.
Due to the care I take with my firearms, it's in like-new condition.

Accessories with it........
One 1080 round can of Bulgarian 7N6 ammo.
Sling.
Cleaning kit.
5 East German "Red" magazines.
1 Bulgarian surplus Black polymer mag.
Bulgarian mag pouch with side pocket and slots for stripper clips on the front.
East German "rain drop mag pouch.
5 stripper clips and stripper clip guide.
Tapco type front sight windage and elevation adjustment tool.

Any estimate of a fair value to pitch to him?????

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on your description this is a full import parts gun built on a USA receiver so its not top dollar (as opposed to a Arsenal or Fime  etc. import which has a factory barrel / receiver and are getting $$$$$ these days).   So a fair price taking into a account market AND family is + or - $2,500.00 IMHO.  Your gun is very cool but is not a "factory gun" and since is it already built up it is not commanding the crazy prices of a parts kit or full import gun.  Welcome to the current AK market.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 6:24:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Timeflies] [#2]
IMO top end price, solely due to barrel, would be 2k alone for rifle, 2500 for package.

There is definitely a disproportionate value when looking at kits versus completed builds.  One would think the completed build would be worth quite a bit more, but that is not really the case. That being said you could sell at 1500 any day of the week, assuming it is a 1mm receiver. With the accessories you listed it would sell for 2k+ sometime, but it would not be instantaneous.

Edit: Sometimes the more of a package deal you attempt to market the worse the overall value to yourself, or so I have seen. For example, I may pay close to 2k for what you have if in good condition, but paying 2500 to 3000, regardless of all the accessories/spam can, puts it into Arsenal/Saiga territory and I am not dropping 3 bills on a parts build when that buys me a factory(ish) built instead. Again, regardless of the value of accessories.

Market pricing, not family pricing:

74 = 1700-1800 if you want to sell today, 2k if you want to sit on it for awhile and wait for a needy buyer
Spam can = ~450
Mags = 5x60= 300 for bakes, 40 for the Bulgy

Everything else is moot

That being said, it looks very nice, and I would not give it away without feeling good about what you get for it. They are incredibly difficult to source right now.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top