Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear. I do have a drill press, even though it's a cheapo Ryobi.

I'm going to add what all I have in my carts at various places to make sure I have what I need to do this.

AK-Builder (plus I would pick up a 3mm reamer from somewhere):
Attachment Attached File

Then everything on this page - Robert Forbus (or would I be better off with the ak builder barrel press kit?0
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't use a press for my FSB, just dropped it on there and used my hammer and a piece of wood IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't use a press for my FSB, just dropped it on there and used my hammer and a piece of wood IIRC.
View Quote
Gotcha. I'm going to get the toth tool "press " and barrel populating kit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Scratch the toth tool, insert hammer.

Attachment Attached File

Couldn't get it on any further, but I've got air/gas flow.

Attachment Attached File

I found out the rear 2 tabs on the upper handguard are going to take some tweaking too. The gas tube is too fat back there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Spamming my own post.

As much as I wanted to save that tab, I only had 2.5mm of clearance between the gas block and lower rail. Had to go. The rear needed some dremel relieve, nothing big.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Next up, B33 top cover.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#6]
And all put together. Three things left to do:
- Drill and pin gas block (McMaster-carr order incoming)
- install plunger in gasblock
- chop barrel when eform1 comes back

Attachment Attached File

Oh, and paint
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#7]
so close! Gonna be pimp man.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]
looking good!!

ive heard those eforms are coming back in under a month right now. in the Vityaz FB group some guys are getting them in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks. I'm pumped about it for sure.
Quoted:
looking good!!

ive heard those eforms are coming back in under a month right now. in the Vityaz FB group some guys are getting them in a couple weeks.
View Quote
Yea I wish that was my case. Mine is pending research. I'm almost 2 months in now. Haven't gotten my cover letter yet to send in prints.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

this x100!

Welcome to the best club within the club
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

this x100!

Welcome to the best club within the club
View Quote
I really think this is going to be my favorite gun.

On another note, I cannot seem to get the RP-1 ext charging handle to stay on. No matter how tight I get it, it just falls off after couple bolt slams.

eta: Now that I am looking, what is the difference from an akm vs a "straight" charging handle?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:42:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice rig man, I'm jelly. I tried getting an SLR104 before the prices surged to $3000, but I missed out. I guess my 7.62 and 5.56 AKs will have to do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice rig man, I'm jelly. I tried getting an SLR104 before the prices surged to $3000, but I missed out. I guess my 7.62 and 5.56 AKs will have to do.
View Quote
Thanks man.

I am way late to the 5.45 game, so I picked up the above PSA ak74. Don't even want to think about the combined costs of the build, ammo, and surplus mags.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Got the gas block pinned. At least I think.

I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out if it actually got the barrel. I think it did.

Just need to install the plunger and put it all back together. I plan on running at least 500rds through it this weekend. Want to get it hot.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget, the plunger pin goes all the way through also
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't forget, the plunger pin goes all the way through also
View Quote
Uhh whoops. You know I was wondering about that. I ended up drilling and reaming it out to 3mm, but only went to where it stopped. I used 3mm coil spring pins, so it would be nothing to drill it out and drill through for a longer pin I i end up deciding to do that. I don't think it is going to go anywhere as it is right now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
No worries man, I did the same thing on mine and it hasn't budged in over 2k rounds.

They say great minds think alike....
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Made it to the range today to test the new gasblock. Shot about 300 flawless rounds.

I will say that I find the stock quite uncomfortable. I can only assume the triangle folder is the same. I really don't want to put a buffer tube on it so I'll need to learn to like it.

I got my Modlite in today for it. Waiting on the Arisaka mount, which I am hoping it works with the rail systems geometry.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I find that interesting,  as the poly folder is basically a regular stock. But everyone likes their own thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I find that interesting,  as the poly folder is basically a regular stock. But everyone likes their own thing.
View Quote
Maybe I should've said compared to an AR stock like a sopmod or a ctr. It's hard to explain but I'm so used to ar's, and ak's def have different ergos and cheek welds. It's just something I need to get used to.

The zenitco pt-1 is a nice looking stock, but damn the thing is expensive. I made the mistake of adding up what I've spent on the build including ammo, mags and other accessories since I bought the rifle 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe I should've said compared to an AR stock like a sopmod or a ctr. It's hard to explain but I'm so used to ar's, and ak's def have different ergos and cheek welds. It's just something I need to get used to.

The zenitco pt-1 is a nice looking stock, but damn the thing is expensive. I made the mistake of adding up what I've spent on the build including ammo, mags and other accessories since I bought the rifle 2 months ago.
View Quote

yea, cost doesn't matter man. As long as you have what you want, and you still have $ for food, that's what matters.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Got my modlite and Arisaka mount in. Was glad to see the Arisaka worked well with the zenitco geometry.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I will say that I do not like the rmr on there. Just feels too small. Def sits too low for me. Thinking about an eotech.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think I know what you mean. Standard AK stocks feel kind of skinny and slippery to me, especially the metal buttplate, after shooting M4s / ARs for so long. I think that's part of the reason that Rob Ski puts what he calls a "puss pad" on his stocks during testing. He explains that the pad keeps it from slipping off his shoulder when he's testing the rifle. Kind of funny, when he's shooting a high number of rounds through them, he needs an improved, more stable stock, but then when he's done testing, I guess he reverts the stock back to its traditional (skinny and slippery?) configuration.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can’t stand the poly folders, to me they feel different than a regular stock.

The triangle folder is my favorite AK stock.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I personally prefer the look of the triangle for sure. That's why I have both, 1 each for my AKSU and my 105.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea I think I'm going to try out a triangle folder. I was thinking about the PT-1 but can't bring myself to spend that much coin on a stock. At least not right now.

I did speak with the head of the pending research dept about my eform1. She says they were on mid September forms and mine should be about another 30 days before I can send in prints. Then I would guess another 30 to approval.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally received my cover letter. Just mailed the prints and they should be there Friday. Here's to hoping for a quick approval.

Anyone got some pointers or tips for chopping the barrel? I've seen YouTube videos, and I know if a guy using a vise on an ammo can on the ground can do it, I can too.

Also have a triangle folder that should be here this week. Then it may be time for paint!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#29]
when I did mine, I scored the barrel around the GB/FSB end. Then removed the GB/FSB and took a brand new blade on my hack saw and slowly started the cut. When it was done, I got it up in my vise, and then took my 11 degree crowning tool and crowned the end. Just make sure you make that cut as perpendicular to the barrel as possible.

Reinstall GB/FSB, and pin.

I suppose you could leave the GB/FSB on and use it as a guide for the hack saw.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
when I did mine, I scored the barrel around the GB/FSB end. Then removed the GB/FSB and took a brand new blade on my hack saw and slowly started the cut. When it was done, I got it up in my vise, and then took my 11 degree crowning tool and crowned the end. Just make sure you make that cut as perpendicular to the barrel as possible.

Reinstall GB/FSB, and pin.

I suppose you could leave the GB/FSB on and use it as a guide for the hack saw.
View Quote
Nice. Nothing to it then. I will pick up some crowning tools to make my life a little easier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#31]
worth the cost. I've done every AR barrel, AK barrel and even a few FAL barrels. Buy the kit that has the multi cal alignments with it. Just make sure you cut the crown with even pressure, it can cut uneven.

Can't wait for finished pics!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Got the triangle folder in today. Russian Izzy Izhmash. The hinge took some filing to fit, which I was glad because it is rock solid. Way more so than the psa polymer.

For whatever reason I like it a lot more than the polymer folder.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Triangle is definitely sexy. I ise a poly on my 105 and a triangle on my AKSU
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Triangle is definitely sexy. I ise a poly on my 105 and a triangle on my AKSU
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote
Not much. Fingerprints were delivered on the 15th. My hopes are to have a stamp in hand within 30 days. Then I'll chop the barrel.

I've added a trex sling. I don't like the way I have it mounted though. Pic rail on the b30, then DD qd, then the sling mount. Way too thick. I'm going to change it out to utilize the built in sling mount.

@FinSlayer83

Whats the trick to get the qd on the triangle folder?

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Drilled/pulled out the middle piece / loop.

Counter sunk the hole slowly until the qd loop snapped in.

I’ll get pics tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:00:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Triangles are so much better looking than those silly AR stocks on a AK.
View Quote
I agree.

I recently came across ak19 stocks...and now I want one.

Attachment Attached File

bandito Bill says he will have some soon for $500 a pop. I believe through sureshot armament.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#40]
gonna be one heavy AK
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I agree.

I recently came across ak19 stocks...and now I want one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308934/B8675021-3A2E-47F7-A5C5-BD2DD1406F98_jpe-1793413.JPG

bandito Bill says he will have some soon for $500 a pop. I believe through sureshot armament.
View Quote

Fairly similar looking to the Magpul Zhukov stock aside from being for a 5.5mm hinge. I'm a fan.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Fairly similar looking to the Magpul Zhukov stock aside from being for a 5.5mm hinge. I'm a fan.
View Quote
Yea I forgot that it is probably 5.5mm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#43]
No real update, just want to keep this out of the archives. Fingers crossed to have my eform 1 back any day now. Going on 19 days since my prints were delivered.

I did see that PSA is close to releasing their ak104 pistol. That means that an ak105 pistol isn't too far behind. Hopefully the krink is coming after that. I dont think I will be able to resist picking one up, as that was the whole reason I even got into the 5.45 game.

I did pick up a sig romeo 5 and adm low mount to replace the rmr, until I feel like swinging a t1 or 2. That will get put on and zeroed after the barrel is cut down.

eta pic:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#44]
It should come for you pretty soon I think.  I submitted a form 4 for a 74U back on December 18, mailed the prints the next day, and got the approved email back on Jan 19, so basically 30 days.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It should come for you pretty soon I think.  I submitted a form 4 for a 74U back on December 18, mailed the prints the next day, and got the approved email back on Jan 19, so basically 30 days.
View Quote
Yea I hope so. Ready to get this thing finished then paint it up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I think I am really close to getting the stamp back. Got an email from Carol Ripley asking for pics of the serial number on the gun, as well as to reupload photos and responsible persons forms. Of course I had one more doc to upload and eforms went out. So close.

eta: shiiiiittttt. Nevermind I am not close:

- The NICS Section has experienced unprecedented high volumes of incoming transactions requiring the escalation and reallocation of NICS employees as we strive for the timely resolution of incoming NICS transactions. As a result, backlogs in other areas of processing have occurred. One of those areas is the processing of the National Firearm Act (NFA) background checks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#47]
suck. It will happen though, and then you will be GTG. At least you have the weapon, unlike my 1st SBR that took 13 months.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#48]
That's weird.  I wonder why they asked for that stuff.

I never got that email about the NCIC load either when I did mine in Dec.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea I thought the request for the serial number engraving was weird. My only guess is that it was the first form one on a PSA AK47 sidefolder? I have no idea.

I just picked up a Benelli M4 yesterday, and I will most likely be doing a form 1 on it as well. Be interesting to see which came back first.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yea I thought the request for the serial number engraving was weird. My only guess is that it was the first form one on a PSA AK47 sidefolder? I have no idea.

I just picked up a Benelli M4 yesterday, and I will most likely be doing a form 1 on it as well. Be interesting to see which came back first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The serial number pic requests might be normal. They asked for pics on my M92 a few years back.
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top