Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/18/2021 1:24:12 PM EDT
I am not very familiar with AKs and their variants and am sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or a silly question.  

I have an AK that seems to have an unusual upper handguard and way of retaining the upper handguard.  My AK does not have the rounded metal piece coming off the gas block/receiver that would typically hold the upper handguard in place.  I’ve looked through tons of photos of AKs and can’t seem to find a variant set up this way.  My handguard has a little extension that links directly with the gas block/receiver.  I am not very good with identifying the parts of an AK but the equivalent area on an AR 15 would be parts 85-88 of this diagram (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/category/manufacturers/ar15/ar15-parts-list), which are the pieces that retain the upper half of a standard A2 handguard.  If anyone can please help I would appreciate it.  I’m trying to change out my handguard and without that piece or knowing what to look for I’m having a hard time.  I can email pictures to anyone willing to help.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you take a pic of it?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Off the top of my head it sounds like a Polish Tantal/Beryl upper handguard:

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top