BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2022 12:02:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a suppressed Draco in 2 gun (not real competitive but it’s fun) and both the Griffin Armament rail shield and the regular old Magpul type two covers work well.  Magpul has the sandpaper texture covered, Griffin Armament is a lot smoother.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Only thing I can think of is add a fwd grip. I ran into the same thing with my mlok so I took it off and installed a hogue and like it better. The only reason I had the mlok was for a light but the hogue has slots I could knock out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
AK's do that. We've all seen the videos where guy catches handguard on fire.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, its a downside to how the SLR rails clamp to the chamber end of the barrel, they become big heat sinks.  I use a short VFG as a handstop to keep my hand forward on the rail since the hottest part will be back by the receiver.

As mentioned, polymer or soft rubbery rail covers can help.  There is also this rail-wrap product I've seen some people use.  https://www.burnproofgear.com/product/bpg-rr/

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
That's kinda why I personally ditched gas tube rails. I wanted to like them, but they just seem to get hot pretty quickly during use. I just stick to the side rail anymore, or maybe one of the Zenitco dust cover rail systems.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah they get super hot.   Get used to gripping by the mag.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Recently switched from an ultimak and wood handguards to the SLR Ion, and I could not believe how much hotter it was. The wrap looks interesting, but the price is kinda off putting. I am in for any remedies as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I found a really nice VFG made by UTG of all companies. Its an overmolded plastic similar to hogue.

Some handguards may need longer set screws but its solid. The surface the screws butt up against is also metal.

Attachment Attached File

No issues with Magazine changes either. Part of the reason I picked them up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The SLR handguards looks cool, but are not so great for doing a lot of shooting.
For handguards that go to the gas block, I've found the most comfortable for a lot of shooting are the RS Regulate GKR-10M (with heat shield insert) and Magpul Zhukov-U. I use both with an Ultimak.
For standard length handguards, I like the factory polymer with heat shield, but there are a lot more good options for the stock length since most of those do not clamp to the barrel but use the handguard retainer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
OP -  as has been noted, welcome to AKs on some level.  What are you using for rail covers.  If you are not using anything, get some.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top