Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2020 7:10:08 PM EDT
Well I think I have my gas tube/piston situation finally figured out.

Things are a bear to find.

Anyway, looking at getting an aftermarket stock. I don't prefer folding.

What does everything think about the Kicklite, or Archangel stocks?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Everybody thinks modifying an SKS is kind of silly at this point.  Maybe Techsights if you plan to shoot it much, but dressing up an SKS to look like an AR costs as much as a cheap AR now.

You'll generally see people looking for the factory parts to restore a modified SKS.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everybody thinks modifying an SKS is kind of silly at this point.  Maybe Techsights if you plan to shoot it much, but dressing up an SKS to look like an AR costs as much as a cheap AR now.

You'll generally see people looking for the factory parts to restore a modified SKS.
View Quote

Yeah if I had an original stock/original parts gun I'd leave it be.

However, given the stuff I was missing etc. it would cost me more to get this original than modify it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JoWkh-0aSQ

What are those cheek rest/sling point deals at the rear on this video?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Ram-Line syn stock for my SKS, because I wanted the additional length-of-pull over OEM.  Other good stocks, be they wood or syn, have different lengths of pull. User preference.

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
You raise a very good point.  Unaltered firearms have a way of retaining their value, or even becoming more expensive over time.

Many examples of firearms once cheap, now expensive in unaltered state.

I've made some changes to my all-matching Russki SKS.  All of them are reversible, since I have retained all the original parts, and have also made no permanent changes to the SKS.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have owned my SKS since about '88 or so, and have tried a lot of different stocks.
My favorite is the Tapco. It has been on my rifle for many years now.
Also have the Tapco bolt to facilitate mag changes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have owned my SKS since about '88 or so, and have tried a lot of different stocks.
My favorite is the Tapco. It has been on my rifle for many years now.
Also have the Tapco bolt to facilitate mag changes.
View Quote
Everyone has the right to alter their firearm to better suit their needs.  Your money, your property.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked mine up uber cheap at a yard sale in an ATI Monte Carlo stock.

Would like to put it back original but more $$$ than I want to drop in a run of the mill Norinco.

There’s a guy on Etsy that does have nice wood stocks in a lot of different configs in the $125 range.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought a Ram-Line syn stock for my SKS, because I wanted the additional length-of-pull over OEM.  Other good stocks, be they wood or syn, have different lengths of pull. User preference.

View Quote

IIRC the Yugo sks has a slightly longer LOP to it although not all stocks interchange depending on bayonet and still may require some fitting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IIRC the Yugo sks has a slightly longer LOP to it although not all stocks interchange depending on bayonet and still may require some fitting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folks say that a a slightly short stock is easier to use than a slightly too-long stock.  With winter garments, what seemed a too-short stock might do well.  It is always possible to install a carefully-selected slip-over butt pad, and then remove it, as conditions demand.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Choate makes a decent one. Standard milsurp is best.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Choate makes a decent one. Standard milsurp is best.
View Quote

+1 on the Choate

I picked up a Choate off of GB a few years ago. It’s pretty sweet but I’m planning on swapping it out for a Lucky Gunner wood stock.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top