Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/27/2021 11:13:29 AM EDT
Looking to pickup a ZPAP 92.

Looking at either this model with a triangle brace:

Classic ZPAP 92

Or the "Tactical Pistol Package"

Tactical ZPAP 92

Anybody have any advice or recommendation on either of the two?

1) How do they shoot and how are the braces?

2) Do these use "standard" handguards or are the ZPAP handguards different?

3)  Also, if somebody wanted to go the SBR route, how hard/easy is it to swap out the brace for a stock?   I'm guessing I'd need to replace the trunnion?  Anything else?

4)  How are they with surplus steel commie mags with the spine down the back?  Fussy or do they take any mag?

5)  How is the build quality?  Are they reliable enough for home defense?  I've had mixed quality AKs over the years.  50% I've had are built like tanks and 50% weren't worth the space the occupied.

Note: I've got a bunch of AK mags and 7.62x39, thus going that route over 5.45 or 5.56.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By sharkman6:
Looking to pickup a ZPAP 92.

Looking at either this model with a triangle brace:

Classic ZPAP 92

Or the "Tactical Pistol Package"

Tactical ZPAP 92

Anybody have any advice or recommendation on either of the two?

1) How do they shoot and how are the braces?

2) Do these use "standard" handguards or are the ZPAP handguards different?

3)  Also, if somebody wanted to go the SBR route, how hard/easy is it to swap out the brace for a stock?   I'm guessing I'd need to replace the trunnion?  Anything else?

4)  How are they with surplus steel commie mags with the spine down the back?  Fussy or do they take any mag?

5)  How is the build quality?  Are they reliable enough for home defense?  I've had mixed quality AKs over the years.  50% I've had are built like tanks and 50% weren't worth the space the occupied.

Note: I've got a bunch of AK mags and 7.62x39, thus going that route over 5.45 or 5.56.

Thanks!
View Quote

All depends on what you want.
1. I bought the first one but replaced the triangle brace with a CNC Warrior brace. CNC is much better than the SB triangle. Minute of man at 200 with Golden Tiger FMJ
2. Hand guards are Yugo pattern. Different than other stamped AK’s.
3. It depends. CNC Warrior stock is available and easy utilizing the pic rail. If you want an under folder, finding the parts can be difficult. The existing trunnion will work but will need to be cut by a competent person for an under folder.
4. Not sure. I’ve only used Zastava mags.
5. Build quality is excellent IMO and I’ve owned them all at some point.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the classic- the tactical handguard is junk
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSU:

All depends on what you want.
1. I bought the first one but replaced the triangle brace with a CNC Warrior brace. CNC is much better than the SB triangle. Minute of man at 200 with Golden Tiger FMJ
2. Hand guards are Yugo pattern. Different than other stamped AK’s.
3. It depends. CNC Warrior stock is available and easy utilizing the pic rail. If you want an under folder, finding the parts can be difficult. The existing trunnion will work but will need to be cut by a competent person for an under folder.
4. Not sure. I’ve only used Zastava mags.
5. Build quality is excellent IMO and I’ve owned them all at some point.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
I wouldn't go for an underfolder in any event.  I don't like the way the handle.  Triangle or wood.
I've got a M72 that takes any mag I've put into it without issue.  I just want to do my due diligence.  I don't need another firearm that isn't 100%.

Would you feel comfortable using a 92 for self defense?

Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Alicorn:
Go with the classic- the tactical handguard is junk
View Quote

How so?  Crap metal or shakey fit?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Yes but I would add a RDS or switch out the iron sights with better sights.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This, a red dot is almost mandatory unless you plan to file open the rear sight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I vote for the classic, because I think the tactical handguard is too much. The handguard already isn't very large, just big enough for a large hand, so it won't feel nice having all those rails biting into your skin.

I have a classic M92 like that, but bought it in the basic model without the brace, top rail, or muzzle brake. I SBR'd it with a fixed stock, added a US palm grip, 4-piece flash hider, and vented top handguard. Then I sanded and stained the lower wood handguard, and coated it with spar urethane. Its pretty sweet now. The black on the wood handguard can easily be sanded off, but you would want to stain it or something because its an ugly pale wood underneath.

Here it is:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ZMV:
I vote for the classic, because I think the tactical handguard is too much. The handguard already isn't very large, just big enough for a large hand, so it won't feel nice having all those rails biting into your skin.

I have a classic M92 like that, but bought it in the basic model without the brace, top rail, or muzzle brake. I SBR'd it with a fixed stock, added a US palm grip, 4-piece flash hider, and vented top handguard. Then I sanded and stained the lower wood handguard, and coated it with spar urethane. Its pretty sweet now. The black on the wood handguard can easily be sanded off, but you would want to stain it or something because its an ugly pale wood underneath.

Here it is:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269116/AK_JPG-2238685.JPG
View Quote

Nice!  I agree and those things look like prime SBR material.  I'm tall so would go with a Magpul folding stock, but that's just my preference.   Kinda sucks they don't offer them with a side rail scope mount as that would probably be a sick red dot or reflex optic SBR.  https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/AK-Drop-In-M-Lok-Handguard-M92M85-p/mi-akmdi-m92m85.htm if that has bottom M-Lok slots to install a VFG, it would totally be worth the cost to put on an SBR for an insanely fun firearm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spider] [#9]
I'll also recommend the classic over the tactical version.
Then just mod it to your own needs/tastes.

1) How do they shoot and how are the braces?  They shoot just fine, but I SBRd mine.

2) Do these use "standard" handguards or are the ZPAP handguards different?  Yugo pattern handguards are different, but others can be modded to fit.

Adapters are pretty easy, but a trunnion swap is more invasive.  I went with Stormwerkz.

Mine runs everything I've tried.  My personal faves are the windowed Gen2 AC Unity windowed mags with BHO followers.

5)  How is the build quality?  Are they reliable enough for home defense?  I've had mixed quality AKs over the years.  50% I've had are built like tanks and 50% weren't worth the space the occupied.  These rifles are no shit way overbuilt!  I don't see how you could break it.

Mine's now got a blackened carrier & is wearing a Krebs safety & Arisaka light, with a Wolverine PBS1 pending...
Also highly recommended is a KNS adjustable piston.  (It was easily chunking cases 20'.)
The ALG trigger wasn't really necessary as the factory one was actually pretty good.  I just lurve Geissele triggers.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sharkman6] [#10]
Thanks for all the advice,

I picked up the classic model.  It looked good right out of the box.  The night sights were interesting.  First AK I've ever seen with those.  
The weapon was sturdy and definitely "overbuilt" as stated above.  Very solid.  Front heavy.

Shot it and it was very accurate out of the box.  Only slight adjustments made for the BZO.  Fired a variety of ammo through it and no issues.

Used a bunch of different magazines too without issue.  Worked great with steel Warsaw surplus magazines.  I also used some steel bolt-hold-open magazine and they functioned as they were supposed to
The factory polymer mag was a tight fit into the mag well.

The brace was alright but no substitute for a real stock.  Very happy with it overall.

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top