Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone notice surplus mags working better after a break in shooting period?  How many rounds?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of the ATI rifles and the Tapco mag get stuck in it first thing. I broke the locking tab off trying to remove it. Tried surplus mags and the same thing and had to tap on the mag to get it out. Noticed that the tab at the front of the mags were not going into the recess under the bullet guide and this is why they got stuck. Filed the top of the front lug on each mag until they fit and this cured that. Ended up doing what others have done and removing metal under the locking latch until the mags fit. Now all the mags fit as they should, level and as high as they needed to be.

Took it to the range yesterday and shot around 250 rounds through it without any problem. Used several different mags and all ran great, not one jam. Sights were dead on at 100 yards and soon I was hitting steel targets out to 300 yards. I have the bipod on mine and used it for shooting at the 300 yard steel target. When shooting, the front sight post was bigger than the steel target but was still able to hit it most of the time. Brass ejected 10 to 15 feet forward at 1:30 to 2:00 and most of the brass had a slight dent.

These rifles shouldn't need to be worked on to get them to run but they can be fixed. I'm happy with mine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By heathen:
I bought one of the ATI rifles and the Tapco mag get stuck in it first thing. I broke the locking tab off trying to remove it. Tried surplus mags and the same thing and had to tap on the mag to get it out. Noticed that the tab at the front of the mags were not going into the recess under the bullet guide and this is why they got stuck. Filed the top of the front lug on each mag until they fit and this cured that. Ended up doing what others have done and removing metal under the locking latch until the mags fit. Now all the mags fit as they should, level and as high as they needed to be.

Took it to the range yesterday and shot around 250 rounds through it without any problem. Used several different mags and all ran great, not one jam. Sights were dead on at 100 yards and soon I was hitting steel targets out to 300 yards. I have the bipod on mine and used it for shooting at the 300 yard steel target. When shooting, the front sight post was bigger than the steel target but was still able to hit it most of the time. Brass ejected 10 to 15 feet forward at 1:30 to 2:00 and most of the brass had a slight dent.

These rifles shouldn't need to be worked on to get them to run but they can be fixed. I'm happy with mine.
View Quote

Thank you for providing such a detailed report, that really helps the rest of us out!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to modify my ATI Galeo as per instructions on page 1 of this thread. But seeing how I currently only have 2 Galil mags,
I modified them instead. The attached pic; on right I filed away where arrows show. Mag on left done too, but I liquid blued it.
I kept filing until both mags fed dummy rounds..but during live fire only one worked.
I had to go back and take even more metal off one mag. So hand cycling dummy rounds not sufficient to see if you have done enough.
And the amount of material needed to take off each mag varies.
The goal, to get mag to sit in line horizontally with the rails bolt runs. Unmodified mags the back sits way too low. Hence bolt not picking rounds up.
If I was just going to shoot Galil mags I think I would modify the ATI. But I have a stack of Tapco mags too and they all run great.
" />  
" />
Overall very happy with the purchase, accuracy is good between 2-3moa at 100yards (Shit thats better than most X95s that cost way more)
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
^I modified 4 steel mags but stopped there, I have 8 Tapco so I will probably mess around with just 4 of the factory to get them working and use them along with
the Tapco as well. I'll just leave the 8 other factory mags alone for now, thanks for the heads up on the dummy rounds, that was my benchmark but now I may have
more work ahead of me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Range report. Ok all magazine functioned flawless. My rifle function with 55gr great. I ran Genco 55 and Federal 55 with out a fail.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Range report. Ok all magazine functioned flawless. My rifle function with 55gr great. I ran Genco 55 and Federal 55 with out a fail.
View Quote

Which kind of mags? Milsurp or Tapco?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Which kind of mags? Milsurp or Tapco?
View Quote

Milsurp
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Just to be clear is that the only area of clearance that people have been having a problem with? ATI recently released barreled receivers and I was thinking of going that route with the kit I already have. Then I won't need to do a bunch of barrel machining.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just to be clear is that the only area of clearance that people have been having a problem with? ATI recently released barreled receivers and I was thinking of going that route with the kit I already have. Then I won't need to do a bunch of barrel machining.
View Quote

Please read my previous post
 That will help. Also read DillyCleos post. It's on
The 3 rd page
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I tested out a Dremeled magazine at the range the other day: Flawless operation. Time to Dremel some more magazines.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I just worked another 5 of my Galil steel mags, good god the specs are all over the place.
Some required very minor filing while 2, I had to really take away material to get it seat and function.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just worked another 5 of my Galil steel mags, good god the specs are all over the place.
Some required very minor filing while 2, I had to really take away material to get it seat and function.
View Quote

So...you got some calipers so you can take a measurement of the bottom of the receiver at the mag well (where the locking tab should go)?

Or...you got some calipers, so you can take a measurement of the magazine tabs themselves?

I have a hard time believing that the mags or the mag catch varies that much. So help us out?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So...you got some calipers so you can take a measurement of the bottom of the receiver at the mag well (where the locking tab should go)?

Or...you got some calipers, so you can take a measurement of the magazine tabs themselves?

I have a hard time believing that the mags or the mag catch varies that much. So help us out?
View Quote

I do have calipers yes, but not going to measure now after the fact
Here are some pics to show the difference in metal taken off, all the mags but 2 I also shaved down the tab on the mag also.
Check out the difference of amount of metal I had to take off with these two mags note one has tab filed one does not both feed dummy rounds now....
" />
" />

My 1st mag pic posted up top mag on left needed just smallest amount filed compared to mag on right.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Why don’t you all make the  adjustment to the receiver like I did.  It’s not the magazine people!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I initially was going to but instead went safer route. Plus in dustry forum ATI debating retro fit services. Their 2020 rifles supposedly already changed to fit steel mags.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, so it appears mag seating depth wasn't the main problem, rather the length (front to back) of the magazine well needed a little opening up (assuming you wanted to touch the receiver at all).

If it was me, I would get someone to open the receiver just a bit, but without the tools myself, I can definitely understand preferring to take a minor amount from the mags instead. I am surprised at how little it actually appears to be.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#18]
For my rifle, I first had to fit every magazine's front lug before I could the rear lug. On mine, the space under the feed ramp was too tight and every mag I tried got jammed. The Tapco mag broke the rear locking lug off first thing.

There is no way that ATI function tested my rifle after building unless they had special magazines made to fit. Good news is that it now runs 100% so far (400+ rounds) with surplus mags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 4:58:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Out of all my surplus mags (10+) only two get stuck and one will not insert at all.  One of my rifles has a tight mag well for most mags and the other is loose for most mags.  Both rifles will start off good with surplus mags, but end up jamming by partially stripping a round (damaging the case).  Most of the mags lock up fully and I am afraid that if I file on the mag it will just fall down in the rear.  I hope ATI offers a solution to help us out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Out of all my surplus mags (10+) only two get stuck and one will not insert at all.  One of my rifles has a tight mag well for most mags and the other is loose for most mags.  Both rifles will start off good with surplus mags, but end up jamming by partially stripping a round (damaging the case).  Most of the mags lock up fully and I am afraid that if I file on the mag it will just fall down in the rear.  I hope ATI offers a solution to help us out.
View Quote

Not saying that ATI doesn't have an obligation to make good products, or support the ones they put out, but consider the scope of the problem here:
1) The rifle is what it is (whatever ATI put out at the time).
2) You say 3/10 (or fewer) of the mags has trouble on insertion.
    Q: What kind of stoppages are you getting? Bolt over bullet? Nose-dive into the bullet guide?
    Q: With the top cover off, do the mag feed lips align with the receiver rails?
    Q: How many rounds into the mag do you begin to experience mis-feeds?
    Q: If you swap a spring from a known-good mag into a malfunctioning mag, does that correct the problem? What about a completely fresh mag spring?

Again, not defending ATI QC without knowing more about your rifle, but it's logical to assume that there is a WIDE variation in the condition of surplus mags, even if they appear to be in the same overall condition (remember how supposedly the Galil hand guard retainer was meant as a bottle opener, so that the IDF reservists would stop using mags for that purpose?).

This is probably a large part of the reason that they ship with a new mfg Tapco mag.

We need to be a lot more scientific about our error logging if we're going to be able to draw any conclusions about the problems we're seeing.

Has anyone found a new manufactured spring that will work in a Galil mag body (whether that is the source of the malfunctions or not)?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Wolf Spring will start making them in next couple months from what I understand.  Contact them. The will advise.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@Stukas87

What optic is that on your Galil?  Is that one of the old school Elbit Falcon optics with some sort of gas tube mount?  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Yes Mark I Elbit Falcon with super, unobtanium Galil Mount. Bottom of Mark 1 Falcon rounded to sit around gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got one of the ATI prebarreled receivers a week ago, and test fitting steel Galil mags the were a bit to tight to fully rotate up into the locked position (before installing a trigger guard)

About 5-10 minute of careful work with some round and flat needle files on the rear round corners and rear edge to remove around 0.010-0.020" of material and the mags rotate up into position with no wobble.

We will see if I need to tweak the mag catch at all, but so far things look good.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Ok, that is pretty definitive, sounds like an easy fix. Thanks for describing this so clearly Sven!

Engineers value precision in all things.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I finally took my galil out to shoot a couple days ago, ran like a top with tapco mags, I fired 180 rounds through them without a hiccup, then I tried the surplus galil mags I got from numrich. They were a little hard to lock in place, only had one FTF with them and after that one not another issue. I fired approximately 245 rounds using those. All in all I was impressed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Everyone is talking magazine fit and function, but no one has mentioned much about accuracy or barrel twist.  I got my ATI three weeks ago - the inspection tag says it was checked out in April.  Luckily I've had 100% functioning until my last range session... more about that in a bit.
Has anyone checked their barrel twist rate?  The reason I did was that I fired a group with Black  Hills 77 grain match at 50 yards and every round keyholed on the target!  Upon checking the twist rate I've found that it isn't 1:7, it's more like 1:9.5.  (I filled out a review on my gun including the difference in the advertised twist rate and submitted it on their website but somehow it didn't make it on the "reviewed list".)
I measured the twist rate very simply, by inserting a rod with a tight fitting patch in the barrel, pushing it in until the rod reached one full revolution and then measuring how far the rod went down the bore.  Before anyone freaks out because of my archaic methods, I have several other AR's that are 1:7 and they both measured right on the money.  Anyone else having trouble grouping match/heavy bullets?  Otherwise I've been getting about 4"/100 yard 5-shot groups with 55 grain.
I had a Galil type rifle years ago as assembled by Century Arms.  I ended up getting rid of it because it would literally cut the spent casing in half during ejection.  Not all the time, but enough so that I couldn't trust it.  I thought I was doing well with my current ATI until my last trip to the range - It happened with this rifle after about 350 total rounds fired.  I just got a new recoil spring in the mail today - it measures just 1/4" longer than the one that came with the gun.  I'll test it out in the next few days.  I want to like this gun!    Give me a hand if you can.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Everyone is talking magazine fit and function, but no one has mentioned much about accuracy or barrel twist.  I got my ATI three weeks ago - the inspection tag says it was checked out in April.  Luckily I've had 100% functioning until my last range session... more about that in a bit.
Has anyone checked their barrel twist rate?  The reason I did was that I fired a group with Black  Hills 77 grain match at 50 yards and every round keyholed on the target!  Upon checking the twist rate I've found that it isn't 1:7, it's more like 1:9.5.  (I filled out a review on my gun including the difference in the advertised twist rate and submitted it on their website but somehow it didn't make it on the "reviewed list".)
I measured the twist rate very simply, by inserting a rod with a tight fitting patch in the barrel, pushing it in until the rod reached one full revolution and then measuring how far the rod went down the bore.  Before anyone freaks out because of my archaic methods, I have several other AR's that are 1:7 and they both measured right on the money.  Anyone else having trouble grouping match/heavy bullets?  Otherwise I've been getting about 4"/100 yard 5-shot groups with 55 grain.
I had a Galil type rifle years ago as assembled by Century Arms.  I ended up getting rid of it because it would literally cut the spent casing in half during ejection.  Not all the time, but enough so that I couldn't trust it.  I thought I was doing well with my current ATI until my last trip to the range - It happened with this rifle after about 350 total rounds fired.  I just got a new recoil spring in the mail today - it measures just 1/4" longer than the one that came with the gun.  I'll test it out in the next few days.  I want to like this gun!    Give me a hand if you can.  Thanks
View Quote

Great first post and good observations. I've only used 55 grain .223 and XM193 in mine so far and achieve similar group sizes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Anybody know of any updates on the Galeo Pistol (SAR version)?
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#32]
If you guys don't mind I'm going to post 5-6 messages instead of one.  I tried the other day to put it all in one post and the aggravation factor was over the top.  I would all of the sudden be typing somewhere in another sentence, jumped to different page or finally just jumped to another topic.  I figure splitting it up might be the ticket, even if just that I have to type a few sentences over and not the whole thing.
This is a follow on to my post above.  I did get a new recoil spring in for my ATI and wanted to let you guys know the results.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#33]
(Cont.)  My intention during this trip to the range was just to test for basic reliability.  During my previous range trip my rifle had taken the opportunity to rip a cast in half width-wise and leave the bottom half in the action to create my first malfunction in about 400 rounds.
Initially I was using a surplus magazine in "Very good" condition loaded with 34 rounds of Federal American Eagle 55 grain.  One thing I wanted to check for was where the empty cases were being ejected on the clock method.  With the direction of the muzzle being 12:00 and the butt stock being 6:00 (Sorry if I'm insulting anyone's intelligence) I divided it up in to forward: 12:00 to 2:00, ejection to the side: 2:00 to 4:00 and to the rear, 4:00 to 6:00.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#35]
While I fired 15 rounds and picked up the brass between each round I noticed that the empties that were ejected forward had a dent in the middle of the case.  The cases ejected to the side had a much shallower dent, and the cases ejected rearward had no dent at all.
The ejection pattern was as follows:  (7) front, (5) to the side and (4) to the rear.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
While I fired 15 rounds and picked up the brass between each round I noticed that the empties that were ejected forward had a dent in the middle of the case.  The cases ejected to the side had a much shallower dent, and the cases ejected rearward had no dent at all.
The ejection pattern was as follows:  (7) front, (5) to the side and (4) to the rear.
View Quote

Interesting, I've 3 had Action Arms Galils. All of them ejected the brass at 2 o'clock consistently, rather violently.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#37]
The ejection pattern for M855 was (4) front, (5) side and (3) rear.  You'll notice that the total cases picked up while firing the M855 is only 12.  That would be because I had three failures to eject the empty case, resulting in a jam.  I have no idea why this would happen all of the sudden with the swap of the recoil spring.
I also found that the M855 cases which were ejected forward had the dent in the case, but ones ejected right or to the rear had no dent.
Just because, i ran some M855 using the provided Tapco magazine. In 15 rounds I had two failures to eject using the Tapco
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#38]
My final post regarding the ATI.  As I said, I want to like this rifle, but with cutting a case in half and now three failures to eject using factory ammunition, well - pretty hard to swallow.  Any thoughts as to the cause of this?  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 1:58:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FYI, I wanted to update on magazine feed and fitment for the ATI Galeo guns.

Out of 9 mags I had, one fit right in just fine, 4 fit snugly but would at least lock in, and 4 would not rotate in enough to lock.

After reading this thread again and looking at the fitment a, I realized that the mag was not all the way forward.  I filed the top of the front magazine lug so that it tapered from the beginning point of the taper on the front edge  back at a 45 degree angle to the magazine body.  Boom, 6 of the 8 that didn't fit quite right now dropped in snugly and fit.  The remaining two took a little filing on the back face and top of the rear lug to get them to go in.  Of the  9 mags all fit in the magwell now, and 8 of the 9 reliably feed snap caps (no chance to live fire yet).  with one having the bolt override and fail to strip rounds- not sure why, but it was an easy fix.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Can you snap a picture or make an MSPaint or other quick n' dirty diagram for us? I am having trouble visualizing exactly what you meant.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My final post regarding the ATI.  As I said, I want to like this rifle, but with cutting a case in half and now three failures to eject using factory ammunition, well - pretty hard to swallow.  Any thoughts as to the cause of this?  Thanks guys!
View Quote

I agree that is quite odd. Feeding can vary with L or R round in the stack...but shouldn't ejection all be the same? I honestly don't know how to diagnose this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you guys don't mind I'm going to post 5-6 messages instead of one.  I tried the other day to put it all in one post and the aggravation factor was over the top.  I would all of the sudden be typing somewhere in another sentence, jumped to different page or finally just jumped to another topic.  I figure splitting it up might be the ticket, even if just that I have to type a few sentences over and not the whole thing.
This is a follow on to my post above.  I did get a new recoil spring in for my ATI and wanted to let you guys know the results.
View Quote

Where did you get the recoil spring?  Also, is there any update on the Wolf Mag Springs?
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I got the recoil spring from 24 Hour Tactical
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I picked up one of these so this is tag.  I bought some steel to go with the Tapco's.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I picked up one of these so this is tag.  I bought some steel to go with the Tapco's.
View Quote

Steel mags will take some fitting, even then, no guarantee they will work, quality all over the place on original steel mags.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Steel mags will take some fitting, even then, no guarantee they will work, quality all over the place on original steel mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 out of my 3 steel mags fit like an FAL mag...locked up tight.  The 3rd one won't actually go in.  I'll take the 2 steel on the next range trip and see how they run.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#47]
ATI Galeo action starts at 1.52......

MTS How to train 2: Shooting Drill 15rds of Fury for carbine and rifles
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Finished the thread.  

My rifle is ser.# 28xx

On my first range trip I took 2 Tapco mags.   The first mag had numerous FTF from the right side then it ran fine.  Second mag ran fine from the get go.  Reloaded mag #1 and it ran all 30 rounds just fine..  I put around 100 rnds through it.  No issues.

Shooting was all done with some Red Army stuff.

Accuracy was decent.  I could hit tin cans at 50 yards off hand.

Next trip out I will take a couple of surplus mags and see how they work.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#49]
What could be the cause for the bolt overriding a round in a like new steel mag?  Only happens on last 1 or 2 rounds.  Happened in both of my Galeo rifles.  Rounds end up bent in the middle of the case.  No issues with Tapco mags.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Weak mag spring will do that. May be time to order up replacements.
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top