Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2020 9:50:40 PM EDT
My ATI Galeo was having feeding issues
The nose of rounds were getting stuck on the feed ramp.
I contacted ATI they sent shipping label, to return to them for repair.
It came back stated "head spaced fine and test fired works".

Problem is I still had rounds getting caught on feed ramp
" />

So I contacted ATI again, looking at the chamber it seems the feed throat is a little short and nose of rounds get stuck just below feed ramp.
But...it only happened with certain ammo (hence it ran fine during ATI test fire)
Diagnosis
It seems if bullets had a flatish tip or sharp tip they would get stuck, only 5.56 with rounded tip would feed, in my case
PMC Bronze ran fine but not PMC Xtac, Federal M193 55gr. or Remington 55gr.  

So I spoke with ATI again, the rep seemed to understand the issue poor chamber/feedramp or bad barrel.
So ATI took it again for repair.
Disappointment
They sent it back stating again it head spaced and ran fine they suggested I only run Tapco mags
Really? I can replicate the jam with Tapco mags all day long, clearly its not the mags.

So what to do? I firmly believe any firearm that cost over a grand should run just about all off the shelf commercial ammo. In my case of the 4 types of ammo I have,
it only ran 1 type, so 1/4th reliability is pretty weak.
Well I decided I would try and fix the feed ramp myself. Now I am well trained/versed in working on AR15/M4s, but AK pattern rifles I have never worked on before.
THE FIX  
Searching the interweb I found zero info on Galil fixes, however there is lots of info on WASR built AK47s that seem to have the same issue.
So following directions on some AK forums, I set about polishing the feed ramp/throat
" />  

I could only get in at a 30 degreeish angle, so I used a large rounded bit for about 10 seconds, followed by at least 1000grit sand paper in dremel for about 30 seconds.
I had no phelt wheels small enough for fine polish with metal polish so I stuck Q-tip in Dremel and that worked pretty well.
Not the prettiest job but .....Now it works with all ammo in any magazine!
The Take Away
Sure I could have ruined it, but it already did not run well, so if I did botch it up. Just would have been a good excuse to order a new barrel.
I don't think its a ATI assembly issue, but just a poor feed ramp cut into barrel so a manufacturing issue (So if they get the barrels from another vendor) Which I've heard they are from Bear Creek
Its a Bear Creek issue.

I do however, think its lame of ATI that once it passed a headpsace check and test fire with one type of ammo (they stated Aquila)  
they washed their hands of it and suggesting I use Tapco mags, was a ignorant answer to my issue.
This Shows ATI are assemblers and not real gun builders.

Do I like my ATI Galeo?...Yes now it feeds...and I plan on running this rifle hard.  The reality is, seeing its not a chrome lined barrel, I expect to only get a couple years out of it before its shot out
from bore erosion anyways. By that time hopefully I can secure a higher quality barrel.

Before anyone asks, after it came back from ATI the second time still not feeding. I contacted Jeff at Hillbilly Firearms,
to see if he could just re-barrel it for me with a better barrel. That was a dead end...Lets just say his response was less than enthusiastic with ATI and seemed to have little desire to work on it.
Basically stating they are no better than Century Golani.
Personally I disagree, ATI is using real Israeli parts, while Century built theirs using South American made Galil parts.
Fit and finish the rifles are nice, I just think I had bad luck, and got a lousy barrel on mine. I don't see any reports online of others having feeding issues. (aside from steel mags which there are well known fixes for)
Now regardless of the vendor (Colt,LWRC etc) every once in awhile gun makers have quality control issues.
I just hope ATI steps up their game a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Now my Galeo runs fine
I also just switched out Galil front sight for South African R4.
The Galil hood bisected the lens of my Elbit Falcon red dot making dot hard to pick up.
R4 hood much larger so does not block Elbit lens as much and has better field of view.
Front sight post is thinner, better for long range shots
" />
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the detailed write up, my ATI Galeo is much better made than any of the Century guns I own or have owned, that said, Good builders don't necessarily make good troubleshooters.
ATI should be aware of this and listen better to the customers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same issue and fixed mine by drilling out the rivet for the bullet guide, then cut several pieces of a beer can and slid them between the bullet guide and receiver to shim it up higher, then riveted the guide back in.  It feeds flawlessly after raising the guide up, which gets the nose of the bullet nicely into the chamber instead of colliding with the 6 o'clock position of the barrel below the chamfer that it has from the factory.  I may polish up the chamfer on the barrel as well but it doesn't seem to need it with the guide position adjusted.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had the same issue and fixed mine by drilling out the rivet for the bullet guide, then cut several pieces of a beer can and slid them between the bullet guide and receiver to shim it up higher, then riveted the guide back in.  It feeds flawlessly after raising the guide up, which gets the nose of the bullet nicely into the chamber instead of colliding with the 6 o'clock position of the barrel below the chamfer that it has from the factory.  I may polish up the chamfer on the barrel as well but it doesn't seem to need it with the guide position adjusted.
View Quote

Yes the bullet tip was just barely too low on mine to chamber, I can see a adjustment to bullet guide working
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top