Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2018 10:40:36 AM EDT
I pulled these from the AK forum and brightened them up with some contrast so you can see the details:

1970 Tula (Apparently the last AKM with bottom sling swivel location on the stock)

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
1972 Tula (source says 1971 Tula parts were sent to Egypt for the Maadi AKMs)

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
1973 Tula

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
1975 Izhmash AKM

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
1976 Tula AKM

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
1977 Tula AKM

Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:27:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was wondering if you were going to do any others.

Thanks!

I still need to make an Afghan Wallhanger...but most of the ones we find/capture are actually Chinese.
View Quote
The reason for the predominance of Chinese Type 56 rifles in Afghanistan is mainly because of the Agency's efforts in the mid-1980s to funnel boat loads of them into Pakistan for the training and logistics camps, along with the Pakistani ISI.

There was a former SF E-7 who had gone the O route, then went to the Agency, who helped mastermind the small arms mix scheme, along with the UW training program for the Muj.  It was part of a major series of policy changes from the Agency's previous posture of barely giving minimal support to the Muj to just harass the Soviet effort without any discernible hand from the US.  That was in the days of .303 Enfields from old British inventory, where British MI6 had found a way to pawn off old war stock that was no longer really viable in the 1980s.

When the new Central Asian station chief came in, he wanted blood, and had the ear of a particular Congressman who also wanted to ratchet up the UW effort against the Soviets.  These guys listened to the advice of the SF folks, and built a logistics feed that was backed with Saudi money, matching US and other Islamic nation donations dollar-for-dollar.  They went around shopping for weapons, and got the Chinese Type 56 rifles along with that effort.

I have a book on Afghanistan in Russian that is really cool, meant specifically for Spetsnaz GRU veterans of that conflict, showing all the different types of small arms they encountered.  There are several pics in it of captured weapons caches that the GRU Spetsnaz interdicted, as that was their primary operational profile, focusing on intercepting shipments coming in through the mountains along the Afghan-Paki border.  Most of the AKs are ChiCom Type 56s with the under-folder spike bayonets.

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
looks like Robs pictures.
if you go to lulu.com he has 12 volumes of picture books w/ great color photos.
search "rob stott"
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looks like Robs pictures.
if you go to lulu.com he has 12 volumes of picture books w/ great color photos.
search "rob stott"
View Quote
I pulled them from another forum and brightened them up.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top