Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/26/2021 3:23:10 PM EDT
I have a SLR-106.  Each winter I deep clean each weapon, even if it hasn't been shot much or at all. Last winter I clean the 106. I put Outers gun grease on the treads and, over the summer, just shoot a couple magazines of brass ammo, Federal, through it.  Now I go to get the muzzle break off, and it won't budge.  I try several things, finally soaking the muzzle break in a vat Kroil and, still nothing.

It just hit me, unlike the 107 or others I have with muzzle breaks, forget not coming off.  This one won't budge.  It won't wiggle at all.  I've never had that happen before.

I'd welcome ideas.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had sticky brakes on my 106 as well after some extended use.  It's an AK.  With that said you can stick a wood dowel through the gas ports to achieve some leverage and give it, the dowell, a whack with a mallet.

Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I heated up a stuck brake slightly with a propane torch to expand it and break it loose. As said above use a wood dowel for leverage
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Farmer-Ted:
I heated up a stuck brake slightly with a propane torch to expand it and break it loose. As said above use a wood dowel for leverage
View Quote
This.....Try some anti-seize compound on the threads for the future.
This is just one brand.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 4:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The threads on these are pretty course and I cant imagine a carbon lock, but

Try some Kroil or other penetrating oil.

Remember, these are threaded left handed and turning counter-clockwise will tighten.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bradley5050:
The threads on these are pretty course and I cant imagine a carbon lock, but

Try some Kroil or other penetrating oil.

Remember, these are threaded left handed and turning counter-clockwise will tighten.
View Quote

The 106 has right hand threads and he's already soaked in Kroil.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm -  I had this happen with an old SA-85M I bought a long time ago - the gun had obviously been shot and put away wet and the slant brake is still seized on there when I bought it from a gun show dealer (didnt know until the first time I cleaned it after shooting -  live and learn) - its a shooter and IDC so I left it as is after fussing with it for a while - does the job.  Interested to know what ends up working...
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top