Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/24/2021 3:11:43 PM EDT
Good afternoon,

I recently replaced my bolt with a milled Polish 1960 carrier and bolt. The bolt doesn’t even come close to closing on a no-go, it just barely doesn’t close on a go, but it will close on a live round. I have no competent gunsmiths around me, so before I go driving far or shipping my rifle, thought I’d get some opinions from the pros.

Is it okay that my bolt doesn’t close on a no-go, nor a go, but closes on a live round? A cursory search led me to believe this is okay, but can’t trust everything on Reddit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoMoAMMO] [#1]
How close is  "barely" Did you try different brands of live rounds? Are using a stripped bolt?

ETA Did you use fired cartridges and measure them?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, if it will not close on a no-go, or even on a go, but will chamber live rounds, then that's fine. It's even preferable on new builds for most builders.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of my builds are tight like that, but I have had certain rounds that it will not chamber being that tight.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
How close is  "barely" Did you try different brands of live rounds? Are using a stripped bolt?

ETA Did you use fired cartridges and measure them?
View Quote

By barely, I mean the bolt starts to rotate into the locked position, but doesn’t quite fully rotate as it should on the go gauge. I did not use fired cartridges, I used unfired rounds and I only tried with Wolf which is all I have for my 7.62x39s.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
Yes, if it will not close on a no-go, or even on a go, but will chamber live rounds, then that's fine. It's even preferable on new builds for most builders.
View Quote

This is the consensus I read on a few other forums, but wanted to be sure. A few of them stated that it’s not uncommon for an AK bolt to not close on a go gauge if it’s new, or tight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The bolt is supposed to close completely on a go gage. It's not suppose to close on a no go gage when factory new.

If your ammo feeds, fits, fires and ejects there is enough clearance. Knowing you have a minimum headspace rifle will require that you test any new ammo to insure that the bolt closes and it can be easily extracted without being fired. If ammo binds when loaded you have a problem.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you checking headspace with the bolt in the carrier?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By raverill:
Are you checking headspace with the bolt in the carrier?
View Quote

Headspace should be checked with the bolt stripped of the extractor and firing pin using finger pressure only.

I'd be ok with a new rifle just not closing on a go gauge. It's going to settle in after a few hundred rounds and open up some. It's a better problem to have than a rifle that closes easily on a field gauge.

AJ
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top