Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/29/2021 4:02:39 PM EDT
Being an old hand with AR's I can diagnose some basic problems by watching the ejection patterns: 1:00 over gassed, 3:00 is good etc..

Is there a similar "rule of thumb" for a typical AK? I know they eject a mile away but any patterns to look for? Tell-tale signs of trouble?

I tend to see 1:30-3:00 0'clock patters, typically in a very high arch. I've seen X39 casings literally stick in the wood roof/overhang at the range!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had them all over the place. As long as they're not dribbling out, you should be good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
AKs and G3s compete for the 'I can throw my empties farther than you!' trophy. As long as they are flying out of the rifle you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
[In your best 'FPS Russia' accent]  If brass eject...what is problem?  

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:27:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had them all over the place. As long as they're not dribbling out, you should be good.
View Quote

Unfortunately for those with OCD, this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience has been that a standard factory AK is significantly overgassed and not well-regulated due to the extra diameter of the gas tube compared to the piston size. When I switched to a LAC adjustable gas block the consistency of ejection tightened up BUT the gas tube is still not an efficient gas channel. I'm looking forward to trying out a SAG chassis with a smaller diameter gas tube replacement and I'm curious to see how it changes things.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My experience has been that a standard factory AK is significantly overgassed and not well-regulated due to the extra diameter of the gas tube compared to the piston size. When I switched to a LAC adjustable gas block the consistency of ejection tightened up BUT the gas tube is still not an efficient gas channel. I'm looking forward to trying out a SAG chassis with a smaller diameter gas tube replacement and I'm curious to see how it changes things.
View Quote

The standard AK is significantly over gassed, and has loose tolerances between the gas tube and piston, both for the same reason. Reliable function in all conditions.  

I'm sure with adjustable gas blocks and tighter gas tubes you could regulate the AK to the reliability of an AR, but why?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
If your AK spits out empty cases and you can still see them, something's wrong.  A proper working AK with fling the cases out to the 50yd marker.

Most of mine do about 2:30 and 3:00.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AKs and G3s compete for the 'I can throw my empties farther than you!' trophy. As long as they are flying out of the rifle you should be fine.
View Quote

The XCR flings brass too. Very AK design.

ETA: had to think on it a bit, but I’d say the M70 I built flings right around 3:00. If I’m wearing electronic muffs, it always trips me out hearing the rustle as the cases go into the brush on the side of the berm.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unfortunately for those with OCD, this.
View Quote

It makes me chuckle when an AR owner get's really concerned about ejection pattern as they rip off several full mags without a malfunction.  Same guy drives off in his pickup with a miss on cylinder 4.  There are levels of precision you need to pay attention to that make a machine work.  Guns are on a pretty low end of that spectrum.  There's no need to shit your pants about something so minute until you get up into jet engines.

The same goes for lubricants.  You don't need some magical concoction to make your rifle run.  The fact that you can get almost any rifle to run off anything from Rem-Oil to used crankcase oil or bearing grease should tell you that.  The biggest thing you should pay attention to is metal preservation and how long the oil sticks around.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm sure with adjustable gas blocks and tighter gas tubes you could regulate the AK to the reliability of an AR, but why?
View Quote

Soften recoil impulse, increase efficiency, make the rifle run cooler, etc.

Also, because I can?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[In your best 'FPS Russia' accent]  If brass eject...what is problem?  

View Quote

Da! Teepeekol Amerikan, yes? When people go to space, Amerika spend million dollars make pen for zero gravity. We give cosmonauts pencil. Now Amerikans vant "feex" Kalashnikof, most reliable vepon in world. .
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the responses. I wasnt worried just curious if there is "go or no-go" AK ejection pattern.

My first gun was an AK and the first time shooting it at an over-crowded Fudd range I nearly started a riot hitting everyone with hot, high velocity steel casings.

I would also put the Mini-14 in the violent brass flinging category.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Been shooting AK's for a bit over 30-years, and thought I would add some more on recoil.

While all of my AK's throw the spent cases much further then any of my AR's, I do monitor my AK's for recoil pulse. If the recoil pulse is very harsh, I will change the recoil spring. AK's with enough rounds fired should have the recoil spring replaced as the springs are a wear item. For me it is a matter of feel not number of rounds shot.

Several years ago I purchased a new AK and fired just three rounds before replacing the recoil spring, and it has been fired many thousands of rounds since and doing just fine. My AK's do have more recoil then my AR's and I expect that, but I do not expect a sharp recoil at the end of the extraction cycle.

Hope this is of some help.

BTW, I tend to like ALG recoil springs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Bolt velocity and a fixed ejector* probably both contribute to the ‘vigorous’ ejection pattern on AKs and the HK roller delayed rifles. The vz58 has a fixed ejector too but the way it and the extractor are arranged most of the case velocity is translated as height instead of distance.

I expect the ejection from a rifle to be consistent in direction and distance. If either changes much your rifle is either getting really dirty or really dry, or both.

AJ

*Yes, I know HK ejectors pivot but from the perspective of the brass moving back the ejector is fixed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
My wasr3 throws brass maybe 50 yards, using cheap steel case 223. The first time I shot it I kept getting hit in the side of the head with my brass. I was confused as to how that was happening so asked my buddy behind me to watch my ejection. He told me the cases were ejecting at like 2:30, flying about 12 yards and then hitting a wooden post that held up the range roof, bouncing off the post, and flying back the 12 yards to hit me, and when they hit me they were moving fast enough to hurt surprisingly bad
After I moved over the cases were literally ejecting 30-40 yards, maybe more. I could pull the trigger, watch my shot, and then turn my head in time to see the brass hit the ground
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the responses. I wasnt worried just curious if there is "go or no-go" AK ejection pattern.

My first gun was an AK and the first time shooting it at an over-crowded Fudd range I nearly started a riot hitting everyone with hot, high velocity steel casings.

I would also put the Mini-14 in the violent brass flinging category.
View Quote

Ever fired a HK93 ? It kills in two directions at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#17]
To the right and around 15 feet max but nothing consistent .If they go to the left,fall at your feet or you never see them again you have a problem. imho
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My wasr3 throws brass maybe 50 yards, using cheap steel case 223. The first time I shot it I kept getting hit in the side of the head with my brass. I was confused as to how that was happening so asked my buddy behind me to watch my ejection. He told me the cases were ejecting at like 2:30, flying about 12 yards and then hitting a wooden post that held up the range roof, bouncing off the post, and flying back the 12 yards to hit me, and when they hit me they were moving fast enough to hurt surprisingly bad
After I moved over the cases were literally ejecting 30-40 yards, maybe more. I could pull the trigger, watch my shot, and then turn my head in time to see the brass hit the ground
View Quote

It sounds like you need a stronger recoil spring. AKs are over-gassed and run wide-open, but 40-50yds is excessive even for a Kalashnikov-pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ever fired a HK93 ? It kills in two directions at the same time.
View Quote

No but I remember my HK91 being kinda aggressive with the brass...

I'm piling up more and more brass with my AK and it seems to land either directly at my 3 o'clock maybe 15' or at my 1:30-2 o'clock 10-15' away. Ammo that is more mild, at least in recoil, seems to go more toward the 1:30. My ZPAP M85 in 5.56 seems to send them more toward the 1:30-2:00 also.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#20]
50 yard ejection ? that i would like to see
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ain’t saying that’s impossible but I’d like to see the video of that one. If it’s really ejecting 50 yards I’d expect the bolt carrier to push out the back of the rifle in pretty short order.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That seems like it operates under the "recoilless rifle" principal, except to the side rather than to the rear

I think anything past 30' would indicate trouble.

I'm putting a tape measure in my range bag for next time at the range so no more guestimating, for science..
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It sounds like you need a stronger recoil spring. AKs are over-gassed and run wide-open, but 40-50yds is excessive even for a Kalashnikov-pattern rifle.
View Quote

50 was an exaggeration, but it is a solid 30-40. I don't shoot brass cased ammo in it anymore cause it beats up the cases so bad
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top