User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
One way to mount a magnified optic on an AK is to put a small red dot on the sight block, and a magnifier on a rail on the top cover.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I can bang a 12” steel gong at 200 with mine with irons.

Acceptable
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
My recollection is that my WASR10 would shoot 4 MOA groups at 100 with wolf back when I had a red dot. Maybe even better.

I'm hoping to get it below 3 MOA when I finish my communist deer rifle (suppressed 12.5'' Saiga conversion in 7.62x39).
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a new SA85M in 1996 and kept it until about 4 years ago. One reason I sold it was I never could hit shit with it. I also had bought an AMD65 that I had to work on quite a while for various reasons including the stupid 2-piece 'barrel extension' broke loose and was drooping. I replaced that with the great Tapco one-piece extension. The sights were canted on the damn thing too which didn't help. Eventually I took off the rear sight blade, installed a cantilevered rail that extends back over the action cover and a small SIG red-dot sight. The object of the cantilevered rail and small sight is to allow sighting while keeping one's head down. Might be on a 2-way some day, you never know.
Anyway, I took it to the 25 yd range and centered it 1" low, which should be a 50 yd zero. Then I went to the 50 yd range and took my first shot. Checking it with the binoculars, I saw that it was in the 3" bull I had prepared, on the horizontal centerline but about 1/2" right. I unloaded the gun and left. I use GT FMJ and HP.
So with the AK, assuming a genuine military chrome-lined barrel in excellent condition, I think you're getting 'barrel whip' with the 16" but much less with the 10" to 12". You can clearly see it in slo-mo movies all over You Tube. Also, as you mentioned, on a traditional AK there is no place to mount a scope or dot sight. I improved my AR shooting the same way, taking off the carry handles and putting on good dot sights. I guess with my old eyes, the dot sight allows for more accuracy.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a good video that is relevant to this subject (not mine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wod9PvfaSEE

They use Barnaul 123gr FMJ, the ammo that many people claim is the best. I have 100 rounds on order so hopefully I can add my 2c.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Here is a good video that is relevant to this subject (not mine).

They use Barnaul 123gr FMJ, the ammo that many people claim is the best. I have 100 rounds on order so hopefully I can add my 2c.
View Quote

Why you no click the embed button?  Like this:

How accurate is an AK47 - Kalashnikov? | Russia v. China v. Bulgaria v. Romania v. Israel v. Czech
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I finally found some current production Barnaul 123gr FMJ ammo to test.

Rifle is a current production Arsenal SAM7SF. Optic is a Nightforce NX8 mounted in an MI Gen1 30mm mount.

5 shots from a sandbag rest at 100 yards.

Barnaul 123gr FMJ
3.6"
3.95"
4.1"
4.5"
3.15"
3.8"
4.8"
3.00"
4.00"
3.75"

For comparison, Belom Brass cased from Serbia (new 2021 production)
4.5"
5.3"
2.45"

I believe that the Barnaul 123gr FMJ shot consistently fairly accurate in my gun.  It averaged under 4moa (3.8" combined average for all Barnaul groups) which for this gun and X39 ammo is pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why you no click the embed button?  Like this:

View Quote

I saw that vid. It's very good. I guess me and my rifle would be maybe 8th or 9th place
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Minute of cargo ship is adequate.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top