Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/9/2020 8:11:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#1]
Stay with the military contract magazines if you can PMAGS are ok for range use you are not missing anything.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My glock pmags are junk. The rifle ones seem to work better. Factory mags are the best.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
AK MOE PMags dont have the metal locking lug.
No different than the Tapco mags, (better looking, but just as durable).

The PMAG 30 AK/AKM GEN M3 has the metal locking lug and should be as durable as the AR15 PMags.
But I dont have any long term experience with them.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/pmags/ak-akm/pmag30ak-akmgenm3-7-62x39.html?mp_global_color=118

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I missing anything by not trying PMAGS?
View Quote

you aren't missing out on anything
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with AC-Unity mags.  Very good quality.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
My opinion, don't waste your time on plastic lug mags, so avoid the MOE. The Gen M3 will be better since it uses metal, but for the same price I would personally go with Xtech mags.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tony6171991] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HWI:
My opinion, don't waste your time on plastic lug mags, so avoid the MOE. The Gen M3 will be better since it uses metal, but for the same price I would personally go with Xtech mags.
View Quote

I got an original Magpul MOE AK magazine in my WASR-10. It works but I like the steel magazines better. I did buy a few Magpul G3 AK magazines which are a lot nicer than the original MOE ones.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Go with AC-Unity mags.  Very good quality.
View Quote

How many have you tried? I bought one as a sample and it does what it is supposed to. Pondering buying a few more at the good price.

@TontoGoldstein
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MaxFenig:

How many have you tried? I bought one as a sample and it does what it is supposed to. Pondering buying a few more at the good price.

@TontoGoldstein
View Quote

I’ve used two each on my .223 AK74 and my 5.45 AK75.  No hiccups. Nice lock up.  BHO works.  No feeding problems.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:

I’ve used two each on my .223 AK74 and my 5.45 AK75.  No hiccups. Nice lock up.  BHO works.  No feeding problems.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:04:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: the_professional] [#12]
Are steel locking lugs on magazines just as important as steel reinforced feed lips, about the same importance, or less relevant? All the complaints I read on the Magpul AK mags are about cracked feed lips. Would one be better off using all-steel mags (metal feed lips and locking lugs) or are reinforced feed lips all that is really necessary?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Meh. They’re alright. The M3s are much better as they have metal locking lugs. None of the PMAGs clear the dong without sanding down the rear of the magazine. I’ve heard the X-techs with the steel liner are probably the best polymer mags out there right now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#14]
metal lug PMAGs obviously better than plastic lug PMAGs, but chances are you are like most and do not run this stuff hard.  If you do, go with something even sturdier.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By the_professional:
Are steel locking lugs on magazines just as important as steel reinforced feed lips, about the same importance, or less relevant? All the complaints I read on the Magpul AK mags are about cracked feed lips. Would one be better off using all-steel mags (metal feed lips and locking lugs) or are reinforced feed lips all that is really necessary?
View Quote

Steel reinforced feed lips are beneficial in one circumstance, if you drop the magazine while loaded on a hard surface, if it lands on the feed lips it will probably break unless it has steel reinforcement.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Steel reinforced feed lips are beneficial in one circumstance, if you drop the magazine while loaded on a hard surface, if it lands on the feed lips it will probably break unless it has steel reinforcement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I once destroyed a loaded Norinco ‘Bakelite’ magazine by dropping it on a concrete floor, and rounds flew everywhere when the spring shot out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I am currently trying to decide whether or not to roll the dice on a couple Magpul 10rd mags. As they would only be used for bench shooting/zeroing and hunting (deer, hogs, etc.) and not any serious defensive use, I'd like to think they'd be okay for the money...
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I am currently trying to decide whether or not to roll the dice on a couple Magpul 10rd mags. As they would only be used for bench shooting/zeroing and hunting (deer, hogs, etc.) and not any serious defensive use, I'd like to think they'd be okay for the money...
View Quote

They would be fine for that, they don't have feeding issues, they just aren't as robust as some other options on the market.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#19]
View Quote

This "torture test" is a little silly, but it demonstrates how the rear plastic locking lug can fail if the magazine strikes something while it's inserted in the rifle. I don't think many people are going to be banging their magazine on a table or other surface like this, but it could be similar to the force on the tab if you dropped the rifle on the magazine or hit the ground hard while going prone. Mrgunsngear does a similar test when he drops a loaded AK on a hard surface so the base of the magazine impacts the ground, but the angle of impact is different. The Magpul MOE, Bulgarian commercial non-reinforced, and Tapco lugs survived this test - they caused the mag release lever to pop forward with the lug stuck behind it. While the exact nature of this test may not be that realistic, it gives you an idea of the amount of force that could break the polymer locking tab. Personally, I only buy magazines with metal locking lugs just to have that extra bit of reinforcement. Obviously, if something like the 10-round PMAG isn't made with metal reinforcements, you have to go with what's available. I agree that those would be fine for range use. I have a 20-round Hungarian steel tanker mag that I use for the bench, and the shorter length make it a lot more convenient than a full size mag.

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]
If you get Pmags for a low price, get some!  

A few years ago, I scored some 20 round AK Pmags for $6 each.  It was a Black Friday deal.  Haven't damaged any lugs yet.  
The polymer seems more durable than other manufacturers'.  

My order of preference:
Chicom
Surplus Eastern Europe
Current production Eastern Europe metal
Pmags metal lug
Pmags polymer lug
Tapco (softer plastic, not quite as durable as Pmags)
Polymer European mags
Korean/Thermold
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got about 10 Magpul mags with the steel reenforced lug and feed lips I use in my Galil Ace. No issues whatsoever. I wish Magpul would make their 20 round mags with steel reinforced lug and FL.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
I've got about 10 Magpul mags with the steel reenforced lug and feed lips I use in my Galil Ace. No issues whatsoever. I wish Magpul would make their 20 round mags with steel reinforced lug and FL.
View Quote

This ^^
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By kenzo:

This ^^
View Quote

Everything is relative.  I think that the best deal is and always has been mil surplus steel mags.  However, once you get into composites, I think PMags are very good unless you just have to have foreign mil spec like Circle 10 waffles etc.  Forget about russian bakes these days - the deals on those are long gone. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I use mostly 20 round MOE PMAGs just cause options are limited for 20s and more Hungarian Tankers are just too pricey.

I think I paid $13 for my MOEs, no issues, but the reinforced versions aren’t (or weren’t anyways) available.

I will say that PMAG feed geometry is slightly higher than any of my surplus mags. Not an issue in any of my AKs but only PMAGs fed high enough to work in my PTR32. Most ‘non-AK’ platforms that run AK mags are designed around PMAGs.

Last I looked the reinforced PMAGs were twice what an MOE costs. No thanks. I like cheap poly mags when I’d rather not lose a surplus steel mag in the weeds. Ran a lot of Tapcos without issue, now ACUnitys fill the role of a ‘disposeable’ mag...

And MOEs seem to fit every AK I’ve tried without mods. But I’ve heard the reinforced PMAGs are just a hair bigger...
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a couple
Give them a try
Worse that happens is you
are out a little bit of money
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:37:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#26]
I bought a couple of the Magpul pmags for my Zavasta, just to try them. I literally was loading one just 10 minutes ago and halfway down the follower got all hung up. Wouldn't bulge it's still stuck in the magazine. The rounds all came out because they fell out of the top, but the follower is still stuck down in the magazine
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:52:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PewPewPew1212] [#27]
Not that I’ve used a ton of ak mags, but of the ones I’ve used the only one that was a complete pos is the single Pmag that came with the weapon when purchased new.

For AR, Pmags are my preferred mags; but for AK, anything metal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I have one of the Pmag 20 rounders I use for hunting in my KS47 pistol.  While I haven’t broken off the locking tab yet and it performs well, it doesn’t get beaten around either. For serious work, I’d stick with my Hungarian 20 round tanker mags or if I want polymer mags, my batch of Circle 10 mags.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I've used them in my Galil ACE and they were fine.  I only did it because the magazine had to be used for 922r compliance.

I'd get the Bulgarian magazines from GunMagWarehouse... those are pretty much all I use in my Arsenal SAM7.  Both the full steel mags, and the steel reinforced polymer mags are great.  They usually have them on sale too!  I've gotten the Bulgy steel mags for like $14 a pop.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Tried a couple moes today.  Only put 30 rds through each and they worked.  Want to try the psa ak 103 mags
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I decided to try the MOE AK PMAGS when I got one with my PSA Gen 4 AK about a year ago. Haven’t had any problems with them and agree they are good range mags.  I just picked up to if the Gen3 AK mags and had to fit them to my PSA AK and my Romanian G build. The metal tabs are definitely on the large size. Haven’t shot them yet.  

I have Eastern European Mags from the days and cheap surplus mags and decided to try the AK PMAGs since I use them for my ARs and the Magpul mags are lighter.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
AK MOE PMags dont have the metal locking lug.
No different than the Tapco mags, (better looking, but just as durable).

The PMAG 30 AK/AKM GEN M3 has the metal locking lug and should be as durable as the AR15 PMags.
But I dont have any long term experience with them.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/pmags/ak-akm/pmag30ak-akmgenm3-7-62x39.html?mp_global_color=118

View Quote

Well he'll, I just bought a 10-pak for my PTR32 because they work great in it. I've tried various steel AK mags and they're all too tight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Sometimes i use mine as hammers doing projects around the house or drive up on a stack of them with my truck to get a little heigth to crawl under and change oil before i go to the range. But mostly i just put ammo in mine, stick them in the gun and shoot. Mine have always ran 100%. Just saying.with or without steel lugs i like them. Never had one issue with ar or ak pmags.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:

I'd get the Bulgarian magazines from GunMagWarehouse... those are pretty much all I use in my Arsenal SAM7.  Both the full steel mags, and the steel reinforced polymer mags are great.  They usually have them on sale too!  I've gotten the Bulgy steel mags for like $14 a pop.
View Quote
+1.  The GMW bulgy steel reinforced mags are GTG
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top