BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/9/2018 9:36:42 PM EDT
The AR world started out with the Shockwave, which looked and still looks like a piece of garbage.

Since then there are a bunch of very decent AR braces as well as PDW braces.

The AK however seems to have very few choices and from what I've seen, most look awful IMO.

I get function over form and all that. Function and form don't need to be mutually exclusive however.

For clarity, IMO, these look like shit:

Are there alternatives that don't look like shit, don't look "orthopedic" and yet function well?

Something that looks  like it actually belongs on an AK, like a triangle style stock or really anything that doesn't look like the above?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Id go with a brace that utilizes an ar15 pistol tube and run a KAK
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you have a link or a photo that shows what a KAK is?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's the shockwave.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Indeed. Get an AR tube and attach any brace you want. This is the SB Tactical SBA3.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Following for interest.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Currently, the buffer tube + whichever brace make you happy.
Coming soon (tm), palmetto state has their own braces being made by SB that are purpose built for their AK pistols.  They look close to regular triangle folders, but they're a brace.  They have said that as they have extras, they'll sell them without having to buy the whole gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Currently, the buffer tube + whichever brace make you happy.
Coming soon (tm), palmetto state has their own braces being made by SB that are purpose built for their AK pistols.  They look close to regular triangle folders, but they're a brace.  They have said that as they have extras, they'll sell them without having to buy the whole gun.
View Quote

Great news, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Indeed. Get an AR tube and attach any brace you want. This is the SB Tactical SBA3.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/362914/E77D6E28-B881-4698-90E5-74EF6DCC6785-700351.JPG
View Quote

That's not a bad option at all.

What's the process involve for attaching an AR tube/brace to an AK pistol?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's the shockwave.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the shockwave.
Apparently BIGSHOOTER is big on shootin', not so big on readin'.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anyone?  ^^^^^
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm guessing price will keep most people away from this one, but at least it's different.  You have to buy the Stinger and then add your own Tailhook Mod1 and a folder hinge if you want that.  
KGB Stinger47

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
It depends on the type of rear trunnion that you have installed on your pistol. You can use the US Machinegun adapter that's shown in the first two pictures that you posted, which doesn't require any drilling or tapping, but looks like shit. Or you could drill and tap your rear trunnion for an ACE style stock adapter or one of the many clones that utilize the same hole pattern.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It depends on the type of rear trunnion that you have installed on your pistol. You can use the US Machinegun adapter that's shown in the first two pictures that you posted, which doesn't require any drilling or tapping, but looks like shit. Or you could drill and tap your rear trunnion for an ACE style stock adapter or one of the many clones that utilize the same hole pattern.
View Quote

Great info, thanks.

I wondered about the type that places a wedge between the grip and receiver. Seems awkward to me.

How technically savvy does one need to be to drill/tap the rear trunion? Never did that before but if it's not a big deal, that would be good to know.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Shockwave Blade

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Great info, thanks.

I wondered about the type that places a wedge between the grip and receiver. Seems awkward to me.

How technically savvy does one need to be to drill/tap the rear trunion? Never did that before but if it's not a big deal, that would be good to know.
View Quote
I looked into it a while ago but never got around to doing it.  I ended up just buying a pistol with a fixed rear trunnion already installed.
From what I remember of what I saw, if you could accurately mark where to drill and then accurately drill where you marked, you should be fine.

You should be able to find videos on YouTube of it being done.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the one that PSA is using on their prototype 9mm AK is pretty cool

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I kinda like it too.

Anyone know who makes it? PSA?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 3:20:59 AM EDT
[#18]

The AR world started out with the SB15, the AK got the SB47 and they were gross compared to the Shockwave Blade

Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I kinda like it too.

View Quote
The Brace is also a prototype made out of wood.  You can see the woodgrain in the finish and also note that its a solid piece - It looks great and I too await it to be emerged!
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
In an effort to make a non-S#!tty  brace for an AK, I modified a n SBA3 brace to fit a Yugo M85 Pistol with a StormWerkz hinge.

Sort of mixed, It isn't as bad as the original Sig Brace style, but lacks in looks like a triangle folder would - Interestingly enough its comfortable and works well.  I can shoot very well with it.  
" />
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I kinda like it too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I kinda like it too.

I’ve heard SB Tactical is making them
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've heard SB Tactical is making them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I kinda like it too.

I've heard SB Tactical is making them
Very interested.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#23]
SBA3 FTW. Awesome brace.

For a fixed brace, checkout the Doublestar Strongarm brace, so brute tough it makes every other brace look weak by comparison.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I started off with the SB47 but switched to the Shockwave blade just because I think it looks a lot better.

ak1 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

ak3 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I started off with the SB47 but switched to the Shockwave blade just because I think it looks a lot better.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4207/35758077075_6955b84e62_b.jpgak1 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4068/35588454622_6f8673aa1d_k.jpgak3 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr
View Quote
IMO, both of those are awful.

The PSA triangle prototype above is what an AK should look like....again IMO.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Brace is also a prototype made out of wood.  You can see the woodgrain in the finish and also note that its a solid piece - It looks great and I too await it to be emerged!
View Quote
Likely 3d printed. Doubt it's wood.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I went with the SBA3 and love it. I think it’s probably the best available at this point.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#29]
For those of you with folding braces, how are you setting those up?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The SB Tactical A3 brace that mounts on the AR15 tube looks and works great . It is mounted below on a Spets 12 shotgun but we have also used these on AK47 Pistol s and more .

https://atlantic-firearms-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/media/sylius_shop_product_original/product/spetz-12-firearm-10-of-20-jpg.jpg
View Quote
With the variety of AK pistols out there coming from various origins, parts and builders, how confident can one be that a given brace and/or receiver extension will be compatible with a ______ brand AK pistol? And by compatible I'm excluding any set up that requires a wedge between the pistol grip and the receiver.

Is this an issue to be mindful of for the consumer? Some AK braces require physically drilling the back of ones AK, others don't. How does one find an AK pistol they like while also having equal confidence that the brace they intend on using will work with that particular gun? And whether or not gunsmithing is necessary?

You guys sell an AK pistol that I'm interested in. The single factor preventing me from buying it pertains to the question above that I can't seem to get consistent answers to. Should have asked you guys first now that I think about it.

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the Shockwave. Cheap, I'm not married to Velcro, and it does what it needs to do. It looks like it works. I got past the cosmetics aspect of things long ago.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
M4 what exact AK 47 pistol model are you considering and we will be glad to offer you input.
View Quote
AK47 PISTOL LYNX POLISH CLASSIC-WBP

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#34]
SBA3, modded Stormwerkz UC adapter, shortened tube (decided against a folder, don't really have any use for 'em):

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M4 what exact AK 47 pistol model are you considering and we will be glad to offer you input.

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS
@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm guessing price will keep most people away from this one, but at least it's different.  You have to buy the Stinger and then add your own Tailhook Mod1 and a folder hinge if you want that.  
KGB Stinger47

https://i.imgur.com/sKGc2gC.jpg
View Quote
Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh. That would look great on a Draco 9mm
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is my Draco with various braces.

Gearhead Works Mod 1 brace, KGB, LLC Stinger47 strut, StormWerkz hinge SFM-UNI-01 and AK pistol adapter SA-PAK-01
Attachment Attached File

Gearhead Works Mod 2 brace, StormWerkz AR type hinge SFM-AR-01 and low profile AK pistol adapter SA-PAK-03
Attachment Attached File

SB Tactical FS1913 brace and StormWerkz 1913 AK pistol adapter SA-PAK-02,
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice! is that the magpul ak handguard? If so how did you modify it for the mini draco? Is it solid?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh. That would look great on a Draco 9mm
View Quote
It does, I have my PAK9 setup with the KGB/Gearhead/StormWerkz combo
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#41]
IMO, I don't like the looks of them...I go the sbr route. I know others don't like paying the tax fee, but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
IMO, I don't like the looks of them...I go the sbr route. I know others don't like paying the tax fee, but you get what you pay for.
View Quote
Many of us already have SBRs and don't want to have to keep asking for permission every year to move interstate with something short, so we do a pistol with a brace and move to a fro like free men. The tax has little to do with it for many.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#43]
This from Echo Nine Three's FB page.......

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd already have an AK with a brace, however trying to figure out what brace would work with any one of a number of AK pistols is extraordinarily unclear.

I asked the question in this thread and there apparently is no one answer. Milled, stamped, Polish, Hungarian, Arsenal, DDI, which comes with what trunion, which doesn't"t, which is essentially plug and play versus drilling and tapping, etc.

Already have SBR's and looking for both an AR and an AK pistol with braces. The AR route couldn't be easier. The AK route, not so much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#45]
An SOB47 is about as ‘plug n play’ as you can get. Not aware of any AK pistol it won’t fit.
I put one on my Draco.

I do like the KGB/Tailhook setup, I’d consider drilling & tapping to run that setup.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
An SOB47 is about as 'plug n play' as you can get. Not aware of any AK pistol it won't fit.
I put one on my Draco.

I do like the KGB/Tailhook setup, I'd consider drilling & tapping to run that setup.
View Quote
Which is where we run in to the "doesn't look like shit" snag.

If you scroll to my initial post in this thread at the very top of the page, there are a few samples of AK braces, that IMO, look like shit.

The SOB47 is among them. There are a few decent looking braces in this thread, but their compatibility/ mounting on various AK pistols is unknown, or at least the pic was not accompanied with any details. Is drilling and tapping how most are attached?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Palmetto State Armory recently stated that Triangle "braces" would be coming soon for their recently released PSA AK-V 9mm pistol.

This is great news for those of use who like the original krink triangle stock look.

Here is hoping "soon" is not a year or more out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Palmetto State Armory recently stated that Triangle "braces" would be coming soon for their recently released PSA AK-V 9mm pistol.

This is great news for those of use who like the original krink triangle stock look.

Here is hoping "soon" is not a year or more out.
View Quote
Agreed, it looks good.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Details please on this AK, it looks amazing!
View Quote
I will go back and edit in some info on the parts
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top