Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/28/2021 1:17:32 PM EDT
About a week ago I took advantage of the Gunmagwarehouse's sale on current production bulgarian steel magazines. They were 15$ vs 20$. I had heard very little about them except "GTG" and some people had said they used thinner steel and cheaper components since they were commercially made. I only had 2 AK magazines so I ordered 15 and smiled on my good fortune.

Okay, let's examine that.

For this comparison I used a Hungarian combloc magazine I bought a few weeks earlier from Apex.

First comparison by hand. They both sound the same, both are made of stamped steel, no difference in function. They appear to be the same thickness with typical exterior differences when it comes to the welding style, placement of ribs and supporting stamped steel reinforcements, Both lock in fine to a SAM7SF with no issues.

First, have to clean both mags to remove excess oil and grease. The Bulgarians come dipped in it.

Bulgarian on the left, Hungarian on the right.

Hungarian

Now the follower, spring, and baseplate insert. First off, the Bulgarian is lighter by a few grams. No big surprise here. The Bulgarian utilizes a polymer follower and baseplate insert.

The Hungarian uses a metal follower and baseplate insert. As a result it is heavier by a few grams.

Next, the base plates.

Both the same.

Now the reassemblied magazines

The Hungarian magazine is heavier by a few grams due to the metal follower and baseplate insert.

Conclusion: there is no difference between current production Bulgarian mags and combloc, save for a few grams of weight due to the polymer baseplate inserts and followers on the Bulgarian mag.

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice review, thank you.

Are the polymer parts an issue longer-term?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice review, thank you.

View Quote

I don’t think so. Pmags have had plastic followers for a long time. It’s not a high stress part.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an interesting experience when I did a similar weight comparison, but I didn't follow up on it in as much detail to compare the components. I initially found that the Bulgarian commercial steel mag was lighter than a random surplus mag I selected, which is not surprising based on the plastic internal parts, as you described. However, when I disassembled them, I found that the Bulgarian mag body was actually slightly heavier than the surplus mag. You can see the comparison I posted here.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had an interesting experience when I did a similar weight comparison, but I didn't follow up on it in as much detail to compare the components. I initially found that the Bulgarian commercial steel mag was lighter than a random surplus mag I selected, which is not surprising based on the plastic internal parts, as you described. However, when I disassembled them, I found that the Bulgarian mag body was actually slightly heavier than the surplus mag. You can see the comparison I posted here.
View Quote

I think that .1 might be related to grease, scale inaccuracies, anything.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think that .1 might be related to grease, scale inaccuracies, anything.
View Quote

Possible, but the more likely simple explanation is that the commercial Bulgarian mag was, in fact, heavier than the surplus mag. Especially considering that I cleaned both mags and weighed them each several times to confirm the measurements.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump to avoid archive
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Great write up man! I'd like to see a similar comparison between the bulgarian commercial and the current Korean (SHK) magazines globalordinance is selling for $4.99 a piece.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don’t think so. Pmags have had plastic followers for a long time. It’s not a high stress part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice review, thank you.

@fadedsun

Great review.

Don’t Bulgarian surplus 5.45 mags also have polymer followers?  I agree it’s not something we need to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Atlantic has been offering these Bulgarian mags for a few years now and have probably shipped out 45 thousand of them in that timeframe. Really not had any complaints other than a few AK Newbies saying they were a bit tough getting into their rifles. Once we explained that new mags VS Surplus mags will have that new mag feel they were good to go .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/ak47-magazine-steel-bulgarian-5-pack-2.jpg
AK-47
View Quote

Your mag are exactly the same as any other steel com block mag.

Pretty much perfect.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@fadedsun

Great review.

Don’t Bulgarian surplus 5.45 mags also have polymer followers?  I agree it’s not something we need to worry about.
View Quote

I think most 5.45 followers are but I cannot confirm because I don’t own a 5.45
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Atlantic has been offering these Bulgarian mags for a few years now and have probably shipped out 45 thousand of them in that timeframe. Really not had any complaints other than a few AK Newbies saying they were a bit tough getting into their rifles. Once we explained that new mags VS Surplus mags will have that new mag feel they were good to go .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/ak47-magazine-steel-bulgarian-5-pack-2.jpg
AK-47
View Quote

That is a crap ton of mags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:43:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is a crap ton of mags.
View Quote

not shocking. mags get sold on a 100-1 ratio to guns... there are probably 10s of MILLIONS of AK mags in the states. MINIMUM.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top