Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2018 2:31:12 PM EDT
I am planning a hog hunt in Texas next month.  I am testing some ammo and found some stuff that is pretty accurate.  I am using a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39.  The stuff that is the best shooting is FMJ.  I do have some 154gr sp that shoots very well also.  The question is is one really any better than the other for pigs.  I know shot placement is 95% of it but are the sp or hp that much better for stopping hogs?  My "plan" is for head shots.  I also know that what shoots best in your rifle is probably what you should use but wanted to ask you guys that actually use this kind of ammo what I should lean towards.  I have shot the expensive stuff and the russian stuff and in my rifle there isn't much difference.  My best groups are with Wold Military Classic 123gr fmj but the Wolf 154gr sp are also pretty accurate.

thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll probably get better answers over in the hog hunting section, under outdoors.

However a lot of guys here use .223/556, and claim it works fine.  Of course shot placement and the size of the hog is going to play into it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't use FMJ.

You may "plan" to only "shoot them in the head", but you still want something better than FMJ in case you do make a shot to the body on running hogs.

Standard FMJ 7.62x39 is pretty mild with wound cavity compared to 5.56 FMJ

I have found that the Hornady SST load is very accurate and an effective hunting round in my 7.62 x 39 AR...

Might give it a try if you haven't already.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
.458 SOCOM FTW

Link Posted: 3/22/2018 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Long story short I have to fly out of Boston.  AR's are a banned weapon in the commy state of Mass.  I may give the Hornady's a try.  I am also taking a Marlin 336 that I have a pretty good load worked up for using the HST bullet.  
Yeah I know how "plans" go.  If I can't get the Hornady's in time I guess I will go with the Wolf sp 154's. They shoot about 1.5 at 100yards.  My guess is my shots will be less that that. Idono.

I'll try that link if I can find it. LOL tks

Is there a way to get notifications of answered posts on this forum.  Never have been able to get an email with a notification.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Federal Fusion works pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If your rifle will run Tula 154 SP, then use it. You'll be hard pressed to find better for any price. Comblock HP is FMJ, for all practical purposes.
Fusion, PDX1, SST, all work but at a higher price.
Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
7.62 by 39  is really close to being equivalent to the good ole 30-30 ballistic. The 7.62by 39 uses a spitzer shaped bullet while a 30-30 is almost always a round nose, although there are exceptions like the Hornady "Evolution". If your rifle will feed them, there are a fair number of 7.62 by 39 soft points that will do a number on all but the largest of hogs in a lot of normal scenarios. On those monsters you HAVE to pick your first shot wisely because a Large 300 pound plus Hog isn't the same animal as a smaller hog. Those monsters have a inch of tough hide, hair, mud , a gristle plate that will stop a razer head out of all but  heavy arrows. Plus that fat plugs a wound. Large Hogs are not to be trifled with and I know first hand. Head shots are always iffy and the animal doesn't deserve the shot to be a little off. A broad side lung or lung and heart shot are the best approach. Also, the Lungs on a hog are a Lot more forward in the chest then you might think, unlike a deer. a 30-30 or 7.62 by 39 will do the job on most hogs if you do yours. Better  not to shoot then take that risky shot . Just something to think about!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If I remember my brother's experiments correctly, the 154 grn soft points don't have a jacketed base.  I'll ask him what he's using.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Depends on how you're paying for your hunt. Some of the farmers around me let me hunt hogs for pest mitigation. The vast majority of the time I'm not interested in any meat. When I use my x39 and want meat, I use the SSTs with great success, Wolf or Tula hollow paintballs work very well. If I'm going cheap ammo, I'll use 62gr FMJ and it frequently drops them quickly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't use FMJ.

You may "plan" to only "shoot them in the head", but you still want something better than FMJ in case you do make a shot to the body on running hogs.

Standard FMJ 7.62x39 is pretty mild with wound cavity compared to 5.56 FMJ

I have found that the Hornady SST load is very accurate and an effective hunting round in my 7.62 x 39 AR...

Might give it a try if you haven't already.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
I can vouch for Hornady SST... they work great. Used them in the SKS...one to the head....DRT.
To be honest, when you crack them in the noggin, it's pretty much over. Obviously, if you miss -hit (jaw, snout, etc.) your going to need a follow up...(reiterating placement). Pigs are pretty tough.
90% of my shots we're well under 100 yards. Averaged about 50 yds. Made plugging them right behind the ear a no brainer...
I do like the 223, as I prefer to stalk them/get close. For the 223/5.56, I used Hornady 55 gr GMX.
I prefer a lighter rig, and  makes for a nicer hunt,  easier follow up shots (if needed).
Not sure what kind of hunting you're going to be doing, (stand/stalk) but whatever rig you are most comfortable/accurate with = win.
Have a great hunt!
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top