Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2021 6:22:33 PM EDT

Took a new AK47 to the range today. I know ammo types will create some differences but is there a general guesstimate of where I can expect POI to be at 100 yards if I’m zero’d at 50 yards?

I tried the shooterscalculator.com site but I have no idea what ballistic coefficient is appropriate. It was just cheap 123 grain steel case ammo I zero’d with.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I used these instructions
and it worked!
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Zeroing the American Way!
NEW VIDEO - Zeroing AK47: The American Way!

Old Russian Way
Zeroing AK: The Russian Way

25 Yard Quick Way
AK 25 Yards Express Zero: how to zero your AK fast and be on target up to 300 Yards!

Rob Ski & the AK Operator's Union are a wealth of AK info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for taking the time to post those links. The zero procedure I understand but I only had access to a 50 yard range today so that’s what I zero’d at. I’m curious if my point of impact will be over or under at 100 yards and by roughly how much?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you read it?

25 Yard / 200 Meter Setting Procedure: Simple = WIN!When a 7.62x39mm Kalashnikov is properly zeroed, and when the sights are set to the 200 meter setting ("2"), the bullet will initially cross the point-of-aim at ~24-25 yards (not meters!). The bullet will again cross the point-of-aim again at 200 meters. More on this ballistic trajectory is discussed below.

Procedure:
Set your target a precisely at 24-25 yards (not meters) from the muzzle of the rifle. With ammunition that advertises a muzzle velocity of 2450 FPS muzzle velocity, the near zero of the 200 meter zero trajectory is 25 yards. With ammunition that advertises 2350 FPS, you may find that the near zero is 24 yards rather than 25 yards.
Set your rear sight to the "2" position.
Fire three to five carefully aimed rounds at the center of your target.
Using your AK sight tool, adjust the front sight (technique discussed above) and make three to five carefully aimed shots until your bullet holes bisect the top of the front sight post.
Your final test to verify the rifle's zero will be to set the rear sight to the 100 meter setting and finely adjust the bullet's impact at 100 meters distance using the front sight. Remember, moving the front sight left, right, up, or down 1mm changes the point-of-impact 26 centimeters at 100 meters from the target. One full turn of the front sight post moves the point-of-impact 20 centimeters when firing at 100 meters. You can still use a 100 yard range as technically speaking the rounds should impact a mere .15 above point-of-aim, which practically speaking is much less than the expected variation from the shooter or ammunition.
Once zeroed, you can leave the rear sight as it is and enjoy the 200 meter ballistic trajectory discussed further below, or move the sight to any other numbers or the "Battle Sight" setting and expect hits based on that number's respective trajectory (discussed further down).

It looks like Rob Ski is now teaching this method!
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you read it?
View Quote

Yes, I did read the site you linked. But either you're not understanding my question or I’m not understanding your answer.

The zero procedure I understand but I only had access to a 50 yard range today so that’s what I zero’d at. I’m curious if my point of impact will be over or under at 100 yards and by roughly how much?

Thank you for taking the time to try and help.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Found my answer in another thread. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/25-or-50-yard-zero-with-irons-and-red-dot-on-AK-/56-163941/
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Snidely and Ironhandjohn.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Dunno, glad OP found his answer.

Me i'm a simple shooter that hates sighting in because bench-shooting is boring, so I only do it once.

I don't adjust sight ladder to 200, just leave it at bottom. Zero at 25. Done.

Shots will hit an 8" gong at 100, 200, and 300 every time, and if i want more range I aim higher,lol. Redneck windage.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top