Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/11/2021 4:47:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RotorWash109]
Question for anyone who has installed a KNS adjustable gas piston in a 556 Galil. My old roll pin fit the hole very precisely on the piston, I know the new one is smaller but its the length that bothers me. I have it as centered as I can get it with just the smallest amount protruding on each side of the threads. It still seems to stop the piston from unscrewing but I have to ask, anyone with this setup have any issues with the roll pin? Not able to take it to the range until next week.

Crappy pic for reference....

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]

I've got this going on a 556 sbr and I've got about 500 suppressed rounds through it so far. The roll pin hasn't come out, and mine is the same situation where you can wiggle it a bit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hoodfu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8IYmzIKe5g

I've got this going on a 556 sbr and I've got about 500 suppressed rounds through it so far. The roll pin hasn't come out, and mine is the same situation where you can wiggle it a bit.
View Quote

Nice video!

The rotation doesn't bother me as much as the small amount of the pin that's actually preventing the rotation.

How do you like the KNS so far??
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
When I added the wolverine, the action was so violent it was ripping the 5.56 cases in half and leaving chunks of it in the chamber. With the KNS in full open port mode, it cycles gently and works great. It won't cycle the action if I take the suppressor off, but I haven't spent the time yet to dial in the KNS so that'll work too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hoodfu:
When I added the wolverine, the action was so violent it was ripping the 5.56 cases in half and leaving chunks of it in the chamber. With the KNS in full open port mode, it cycles gently and works great. It won't cycle the action if I take the suppressor off, but I haven't spent the time yet to dial in the KNS so that'll work too.
View Quote

I believe that. These things were made to run HARD.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Received the KNS piston.

8 clicks out was the final setting that worked before SS with the next round. Really great product in my opinion. Completely brought down the jarring recoil and trigger slap I once had.

I still think the roll pins are just a bit too small, but I’ll run it and see if issues arise.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I have read elsewhere KNS recommends more engagement on one side of the pin to control rotation. My OCD wouldnt allow me to just leave it that way, found the correct diameter pins. The were a little long so after cutting a few mm off they are the exact length as the OEM pin.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jp660605:
From what I have read elsewhere KNS recommends more engagement on one side of the pin to control rotation. My OCD wouldnt allow me to just leave it that way, found the correct diameter pins. The were a little long so after cutting a few mm off they are the exact length as the OEM pin.
View Quote

What pins are they? I need to buy some.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I just had a gunsmith install a KNS piston the Gen 1 7.62x39 rifle I just picked up. I was concerned about the same thing, as the roll pin is biased to one side. My ACE pistol does not have that issue with its KNS piston. I'll try to get pictures.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Leonidas777:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
The pins they supply are definitely too short for my liking.
I have a roll pin assortment from Rural King that has plenty of what i need in it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a local Access Hardware or equivalent I'd try there first. If not, McMaster will get you sorted: https://www.mcmaster.com/roll-pins/heavy-duty-coiled-spring-pins/system-of-measurement~metric/

AJ
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AubrayJ:
If you have a local Access Hardware or equivalent I'd try there first. If not, McMaster will get you sorted: https://www.mcmaster.com/roll-pins/heavy-duty-coiled-spring-pins/system-of-measurement~metric/

AJ
View Quote

Thanks, I’ll check my local ACE.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Sorry, never saw the reply post. Was actually looking for the size today again. Just picked up a Gen 2 x39 rifle. And of course I can’t find the roll pins that I’d bought previously. Once I figure it out again I’ll post size and where I got them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Sorry, never saw the reply post. Was actually looking for the size today again. Just picked up a Gen 2 x39 rifle. And of course I can’t find the roll pins that I’d bought previously. Once I figure it out again I’ll post size and where I got them.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally got the right size again. It is 3mm x 14mm long. I found them through MSC Industrial Supply, part #R57900573. The smallest pack is count of 100. So if you want a few I can mail them. I have plenty now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I was in the same boat. I cut some to length. But honestly just like kns stated leave a little more on one side. It ain’t going anywhere.  The threads take the impact. But it bothered me to.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Still have any roll pins left?
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top