Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2020 9:09:33 PM EDT
Want to add a 12.5 "alpha" inspired 5.45 am to the safe this year.

PSA already said 12.5 is probably not gonna happen so I'm looking elsewhere.

Any factory 12.5s to look for? Or any 16" guns that can easily be chopped? If so, who should I look to for doing the work?

Budget isnt really a problem, just want a good quality gun that wont shit the bed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Lee Armory
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well, it wasn't cheap but i bought a Rifle Dynamics 504 SBR,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lee Armory
well, it wasn't cheap but i bought a Rifle Dynamics 504 SBR,
Another great option.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm doing this as we speak.

SLR-104fr

Bulgarian C/R gas block

stamp

cut barrel.

thread
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:33:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Want to add a 12.5 "alpha" inspired 5.45 am to the safe this year.

PSA already said 12.5 is probably not gonna happen so I'm looking elsewhere.

Any factory 12.5s to look for? Or any 16" guns that can easily be chopped? If so, who should I look to for doing the work?

Budget isnt really a problem, just want a good quality gun that wont shit the bed.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
nice.

i asked and was told there were only plans for the 10.5"

oh well.

If not then i guess ill get a 16" 5.45 from them and just have it converted.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

nice.

i asked and was told there were only plans for the 10.5"

oh well.

If not then i guess ill get a 16" 5.45 from them and just have it converted.
View Quote
Well if they do the entire 100 series they have no choice. 3 out of the 5 is 12" and then you have Ak74-m and the counter balance models. So I'm hoping with you bud. Want a 104.

Eta
I think kalishnikov USA will build what you want eventually. I hope they are successful to the point of getting a hammer forge
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
If money is no object get an SGL31 and have it converted to a proper AK105, then add ZenitCo rails, lights and lasers

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If money is no object get an SGL31 and have it converted to a proper AK105, then add ZenitCo rails, lights and lasers

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20190927_165814-1104628.jpg
View Quote
what a braggart! Like we're impressed. I know for a fact that you wouldn't even have that if someone hadn't convinced you how awesome the 105 is.

I like others converted mine from a 16" OP. 2 ways to do it, Russian or Bulgarian. Russian is more work, and probably more expensive parts wise. Bulgarian is easier and may be a bit cheaper. The 104/105 FSB/GB combos aren't getting an easier to find. There is someone making aftermarket ones though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're going the Russian route, there is an SGL21/71 in gunbroker with a buy it now price of $1,200, the SGL31s and SLR104s are more expensive, and there is also a guy selling Russian 104 gas block combos for $300 , that leaves you with just getting the 5.5 folding rear trunnion that if I'm not mistaken is available on almost all the AK oriented websites.

But if you go the Bulgarian route, SLR10X and plan on doing an Alpha clone with the correct rails, and you use the bulgy gas block/front sight combo, it might not be compatible with the zenitco rails. Mine would bind because of the front sight detent tube on the bulgy FSB/GB combo, so here I am wasting more money on a russian 104 FSB/GB combo and paying someone else to do the retro fit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what a braggart! Like we're impressed. I know for a fact that you wouldn't even have that if someone hadn't convinced you how awesome the 105 is.

I like others converted mine from a 16" OP. 2 ways to do it, Russian or Bulgarian. Russian is more work, and probably more expensive parts wise. Bulgarian is easier and may be a bit cheaper. The 104/105 FSB/GB combos aren't getting an easier to find. There is someone making aftermarket ones though.
View Quote
Throw a WTB ad up on the files or here. They are selling for $50-100 over MSRP ($200-$250) if you are looking for a Bulgarian option.

I know where a GBC-13 might be that's not being used as well depending on how "correct / cloneish" you want to go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're going the Russian route, there is an SGL21/71 in gunbroker with a buy it now price of $1,200, the SGL31s and SLR104s are more expensive, and there is also a guy selling Russian 104 gas block combos for $300 , that leaves you with just getting the 5.5 folding rear trunnion that if I'm not mistaken is available on almost all the AK oriented websites.

But if you go the Bulgarian route, SLR10X and plan on doing an Alpha clone with the correct rails, and you use the bulgy gas block/front sight combo, it might not be compatible with the zenitco rails. Mine would bind because of the front sight detent tube on the bulgy FSB/GB combo, so here I am wasting more money on a russian 104 FSB/GB combo and paying someone else to do the retro fit.
View Quote
I'm not too into the 100% clone correct and I'm definitely not a "must be made by boris the drunk factory worker' mouth breather.

It gets exhausting wading through the beat to shit aks people try to sell...but wait, it's not beaten up...its a "battlefield pickup"

That's why I was originally hoping psa would make one or k usa.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not too into the 100% clone correct and I'm definitely not a "must be made by boris the drunk factory worker' mouth breather.

It gets exhausting wading through the beat to shit aks people try to sell...but wait, it's not beaten up...its a "battlefield pickup"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's much easier if you use a Venom, JMAC, or Similar "not clone correct" fsb/gb and just want that "style" setup.

Cloning even like the AR side gets pricey quick depending on how accurate you want to/can be.

@bryan_aim are you using 7n6 with the can? If so do you just dunk it at the end of the day?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
so I shoot wolf/tula/silver bear from my gun, i have 4k of 7n6 but I am saving it for the boogaloo
View Quote
thank you - kind of the consensus with everyone else shooting 5.45 suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Went to the lgs today to pick up a usp9 and on the wall I noticed a ak74..figured I'd take a look at it and see if it was a worthy candidate for a conversion.

Do you guys remember when the wasr was considered a massive piece of shit 10 years ago because of all the problems they had?

This made those wasrs look like art.

Idk who put this parts kit together but it was very obvious it was done at home with the primary tool being a heavy rock.

The lgs actually had to put painter's tape around the magazine to keep it from falling out when it was "locked in"
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know for a fact that you wouldn't even have that if someone hadn't convinced you how awesome the 105 is
View Quote
That's actually true. I was a fullsize 74 guy and had no use for the 105, so for many years I thought it was a gucci gun for people that liked to look cool

Admittedly I still love the fullsize but I was wrong about the 105. It is quite the handy rifle
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so I shoot wolf/tula/silver bear from my gun, i have 4k of 7n6 but I am saving it for the boogaloo
I still don't understand the logic of not shooting corrosive through a suppressor

If it rusts, is it actually going to be worse than all the blast erosion? Add to that the million layers of carbon caked over all the internals and then think about how likely water can get to the surface of the metal

On a couple of my suppressors I have been observing for rust after shooting 7n6 and still haven't seen an evidence yet

I'm also not the smartest guy I've ever met but to me again corrosive seems like the boogeyman rather than a real risk
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I still don't understand the logic of not shooting corrosive through a suppressor

If it rusts, is it actually going to be worse than all the blast erosion? Add to that the million layers of carbon caked over all the internals and then think about how likely water can get to the surface of the metal

On a couple of my suppressors I have been observing for rust after shooting 7n6 and still haven't seen an evidence yet

I'm also not the smartest guy I've ever met but to me again corrosive seems like the boogeyman rather than a real risk
View Quote
I've got an old YHM 5.56 can that might make a good host on the soon to be 105. Then again I actually prefer to shoot the SBR's unsuppressed as they are so handy/light vs with a can on it.

If I decide to suppress might as well get a DA Wolverine so I can use it on all the AK variants
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I shot some 7n6 through a Huntertown arms can, rinsed it out and let it sit for a couple months without taking it apart.
It's pretty much fucked. Some day I'll get it apart without ruining the baffles.

ETA: was mounted on a 545AR upper, not a 74 variant.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#22]
interesting. Had you ever shot it with anything else before? Zen and I have put corrosive through his and I do not believe he has ever had an issue. Of course it was as he had mentioned, already had plenty of carbon buildup on it IIRC
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think any of those two even have 12.5s in their radar, yet. PSA is focusing on their 8inch BBL krinks and their full size "klones". PSA's post in their "klone" thread also said their 74s might be available by later this year and this might be the best/cheapest route to take considering all you'd have to do is a gas block swap and barrel chop and not deal with those 1k+ "battlefield pickup" 74s.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
interesting. Had you ever shot it with anything else before? Zen and I have put corrosive through his and I do not believe he has ever had an issue. Of course it was as he had mentioned, already had plenty of carbon buildup on it IIRC
View Quote
@nictra

I believe it was a combination of shooting 7n6/ rinsing the can/ not letting it dry out thoroughly/ letting it sit without taking it apart. Had I completely dissembled it and dried it out before putting it away I think I might have been fine. Still works alright, but it's pretty much fucked in its current state as far as taking it apart. I figure this spring/summer when the new garage is set up I may try to take off the end caps and drive out the baffle stack using a press or something.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I shot some 7n6 through a Huntertown arms can, rinsed it out and let it sit for a couple months without taking it apart.
It's pretty much fucked. Some day I'll get it apart without ruining the baffles.

ETA: was mounted on a 545AR upper, not a 74 variant.
View Quote
I’m on my third 5.45 AR barrel.  Lots of suppressed fire.  My Saker gets rinsed heavily with water and dried out in the oven, I can’t see any corrosion.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’m on my third 5.45 AR barrel.  Lots of suppressed fire.  My Saker gets rinsed heavily with water and dried out in the oven, I can’t see any corrosion.
View Quote
I skipped that step and stuck in the safe and forgot about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@nictra

I believe it was a combination of shooting 7n6/ rinsing the can/ not letting it dry out thoroughly/ letting it sit without taking it apart. Had I completely dissembled it and dried it out before putting it away I think I might have been fine. Still works alright, but it's pretty much fucked in its current state as far as taking it apart. I figure this spring/summer when the new garage is set up I may try to take off the end caps and drive out the baffle stack using a press or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@nictra

Send it to be recored by 66deuce/Ecco machine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Send it to be recored by 66deuce/Ecco machine.
View Quote
I had them recore my AAC and Griffin suppressors over to Dead Air KeyMo and the work was fantastic

Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had them recore my AAC and Griffin suppressors over to Dead Air KeyMo and the work was fantastic

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20191023_174128-1135376.jpg
View Quote
interesting, I shot him a PM to see if he can work with the ole pig of a 5.56 can I have (YHM Phantom).
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#30]
This! This right here is perfect and what i have been wanting for an AK. Unfortunately money is the issue at the moment.

lets hope it doesn't take PSA too long to get around to the 12.5 inch barrels.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This! This right here is perfect and what i have been wanting for an AK. Unfortunately money is the issue at the moment.

View Quote
If the ak-e comes out in 5.45 before a real 12.5 factory gun I'll probably get the ak-e and chop it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If the ak-e comes out in 5.45 before a real 12.5 factory gun I'll probably get the ak-e and chop it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know that were planning on making the AK-e in 5.45. That should be pretty nice to have a 5.45 with an FN barrel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I didn't know that were planning on making the AK-e in 5.45. That should be pretty nice to have a 5.45 with an FN barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d get one just to have it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I asked PSA about this and they said they have no plans for a AK-E in 5.45.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I asked PSA about this and they said they have no plans for a AK-E in 5.45.
View Quote
Lame.

Why is it so difficult to make a 105 or something easily turned into a 105...but then they go and make a billion other things.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Rifle Dynamics
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top