Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 9:33:07 PM EDT
Hey guys!

Got a few things going on here.  Jmac adapter (which didnt wobble previously), Magpul UBR Gen 2.

Is this normal?  This is a new development as the stock was 100% solid just a few weeks ago.  It's kind of annoying when you go to shoulder the weapon and you can literally change your point of aim by pulling back on the rifle causing it to cant at the stock joint.  I put the 100 series polymer folder back on and its still doing it.  The "barn door" part of the latch seems to be moving way too much in its recess.  Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SujTYd6JU
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys!

Got a few things going on here.  Jmac adapter (which didnt wobble previously), Magpul UBR Gen 2.

Is this normal?  This is a new development as the stock was 100% solid just a few weeks ago.  It's kind of annoying when you go to shoulder the weapon and you can literally change your point of aim by pulling back on the rifle causing it to cant at the stock joint.  I put the 100 series polymer folder back on and its still doing it.  The "barn door" part of the latch seems to be moving way too much in its recess.  Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SujTYd6JU
View Quote
All of my AK-100 side folders are rock solid, but they are all military ones with military trunnions, not aftermarket. It looks like your rear trunnion latch is...different?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a PSA AK.  Their latches are of their own make, ie they're not hollowed out like the originals.

This used to be rock solid.  After coming back from PSA, its wobbling.  I dont see anything bent or broken.  I was wondering if there was a way to "adjust" this.

I was also wondering if honestly I was being overly prissy or picky.  I'm not new to AK's but im new to 100 series side folders and have very little experience with this style of gun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a PSA AK.  Their latches are of their own make, ie they're not hollowed out like the originals.

This used to be rock solid.  After coming back from PSA, its wobbling.  I dont see anything bent or broken.  I was wondering if there was a way to "adjust" this.

I was also wondering if honestly I was being overly prissy or picky.  I'm not new to AK's but im new to 100 series side folders and have very little experience with this style of gun.
View Quote
One of the main selling points of these stocks is they don't wobble like other styles of side or under folders.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:
Its a PSA AK.  Their latches are of their own make, ie they're not hollowed out like the originals.

This used to be rock solid.  After coming back from PSA, its wobbling.  I dont see anything bent or broken.  I was wondering if there was a way to "adjust" this.

I was also wondering if honestly I was being overly prissy or picky.  I'm not new to AK's but im new to 100 series side folders and have very little experience with this style of gun.
View Quote

How many rounds do you have through it?  Why did you have to send it back to them in the first place?  I personally wouldn't be happy with the wobble.  I have a PSA-AK as well and there is no wobble.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By -GuNuT-:

How many rounds do you have through it?  Why did you have to send it back to them in the first place?  I personally wouldn't be happy with the wobble.  I have a PSA-AK as well and there is no wobble.
View Quote

The gun had a major issue with its gas piston/bolt carrier being out of spec or...I dont even know.  It was sent back for this without any stock wobble and came back to me with stock wobble.  Awesome.  I'm starting to sound like a PSA hater...which im not but...this is absurd.  At least it shoots now after its return?  I guess that's a win?  I'm probably going to end up selling it with full disclosure to the next buyer.  I'm tired of this.

I've fired a handful of rounds.  The prior owner stated he fired 75.  The gun came to me looking BRAND new and functioned for a few rounds then stopped working.  I absolutely do NOT believe that the former owner sold me a lemon.  He's a good dude and would have disclosed issues with the gun, especially since PSA is very responsive when it comes to fixing these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0OXLpzecQ
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats an aftermarket stock doodad.  Is the original stock and 4.5mm pin loose?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard about the gas piston issue on some rifles. Something about the fitment being off and them bending the piston to mate with the gas tube.  Looks like that's what did with yours.  Mine is strait if you rotate it.  Others have an obvious bend.  I haven't heard of the stock assy being loose like that.  It seems like you have a lemon.  Mine is G2G so far but with that said I only have 800 through it so far.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Thats an aftermarket stock doodad.  Is the original stock and 4.5mm pin loose?
View Quote

This is what I want to know.  How is it in the factory configuration?  David
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
That's not normal for a combloc folder

I didn't see but did you try a combloc 4.5 poly or triangle folder on it and test the wiggle?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like the latch loosened up for some reason. I'd pop it out and look for cracks or anything obvious.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]
As in my original post, I put the original 100 series side folder back on and the stock still wobbles.  Its not as pronounced but the whole locking mechanism is definitely moving in the receiver.

I only have a sample of one, ie my gun so this is why i'm asking here so as to make sure that my expectations are not unrealistic.  My buddy has a 107FR and he told me that his polymer side folder is 100% rock solid.  The hinge mechanism does not move AT ALL.

A couple points to add.  The wobble is not coming from the hinge itself.  The pin is tight and the stock fits well in its hinge.  I can move the stock up and down a little bit in that hinge but I would say that's probably normal since the stock has to rotate on that axis.  The wobble itself is coming from when the stock is locked and the claw hook, "barn" door portion of the assembly and the internal locking mechanism itself, starts to move around inside of the receiver.

There are no visible cracks, bends etc.  I was wondering if there was a way to "tighten" the mechanism?  Just by looking at it, it does not appear so.

I figured that given the nature of the metal and its design, over time it would fatigue and loosen up.  From what you guys are telling me, this is not the case.  I have zero clue what happened when it went back to PSA so I'm guessing it was either dropped or damaged in transit.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]
there is a way to loosen by removing material from the claw, but once it's gone it's gone. You could try and take the assembly apart and perhaps add some weld to the claw then file down until you get good lockup.

My feeling is that claw is the issue, or the stock where the claw locks up the hole is too big or too close to the trunnion. Check the claw and the hole in the stock that the claw interacts with and see if there is any noticeable wear or obvious filing marks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#13]
You could probably buy a new latch and see if that fixes it?

Unfortunately Kvar is out of stock and I couldn't find another website that has them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Akbuilder used to sell Taiwan made side folder kits. That could possibly be a source too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Great info guys!

My line of thinking was that I would try and find a replacement latch mechanism and see how that worked out.  It would be a win win if it works since I can replace the awful, non authentic looking latch with an authentic looking one.

My only issue is finding the parts lol!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top