BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:44:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I will agree that there may be slight differences in the process that each Country used,but,the difference in the end result is slight.Soviet Military doctrine did not endorse spray and pray hammer down combat methods.Look at the basic Combat load of the Cold War era Soviet Soldier,one AKM and usually 3 or 4 magazines.Even in more recent times [Chechnya]the basic load was 10 30 round AK74 mags.As for the Romanian,Polish,Chineese,Bulgarian,Egyptian,East German and Hungarian AK's being inferior and incapable of standing up to the rigors of Combat,hell,this ones to rediculous to address.StariVojnik,ease up on the Vodka son its clouding your judgement.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
What AK is best?

Why it's the Chinese Polytec Legend with the milled receiver.

How do I know?

Well because it's the only one I have and I love it! It's had 300 rounds down the pipe from a NIB condition and hasn't missed a beat. Maybe some day I'll get up to 300,000 rounds but for now I'll just fondle and caress 'my precious'

btw, mine has the best steel cuz I SAID SO! I have written proof right next to me, how do you like that for substantiated claims?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL!!!!

gilfrd,

Take it easy buddy........I believe you ;)
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Again, you are hopelessly stuck on the word "steel" whereas my subject is about the metal treatment and process it goes thru.  ANYBODY CAN GET GREAT QUALITY STEEL AND BUILD A FREAKING AK, BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY USED THE SAME CHEM/HEAT PROCESS AS THE SOVIETS.

Years ago when I was in the Yugoslav Army, I have fired many different AK's.  I had tested most of the variants, and after testing them...The Russian AK kept going and going and going sort of like the Energizer Bunny....other types of AK's had to cool off with less rounds put thru them.  

Since you never did anything like that in your life you wouldn't know anything about it except bitch and attack someone who is trying to shed a little bit of light on the subject matter at hand.  

Thank you for calling me a Bullsh*tter.

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You act as if nobody in the world knew how to use proper metal and heat treating processes to manufacture a firearm receiver.
As if the Russian technique was best.........why?..... Because you say it was! LOL!!

The whole pixie dust thing you mentioned before, is what your statements are based on.........pixie dust.

You say your shedding light on the matter........I say your claiming it as fact, when you can not back it up as such.

Again, the Arsenal of Bulgaria Factory has a Bulgarian test specimen that has seen over 300,000 rounds of use (using the same barrel)..........they must have discovered the stash of magical pixie dust! LOL!!

As far as your whole claim........I feel myself coughing again ;)

PS. As far as thanking me for using the "Bullshit" name for your claims, I don't deserve that credit (but thanks just the same).
Before I stepped into the fray, another poster used that word to describe your statements, so I really can't take the credit for using it first :)
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#6]
StariVojnik

I know nothing about nothing when it comes to AK's for the most part, I was only funnin.

the only thing I know about chimicals and heat is how long you hold a lighter to a crack pipe, not much more.

I'm just making light of it all.

In the immortal words of Rodney King,

"ouch! oh! ouch, ooof, ouch!"
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Years ago when I was in the Yugoslav Army, I have fired many different AK's.  I had tested most of the variants, and after testing them...The Russian AK kept going and going and going sort of like the Energizer Bunny....other types of AK's had to cool off with less rounds put thru them.  

Since you never did anything like that in your life you wouldn't know anything about it except bitch and attack someone who is trying to shed a little bit of light on the subject matter at hand.  

I can respect your test and observations and can see how you came to your conclusions,however,many of us also have years of experience with the different AK varients and have drawn our own conclusions.I've been using,handling,collecting and blasting AKs since around 1984.I've had the hand guards too hot to hold on many occasions and have fired over 500 rounds through a Galil running Combat drills in one day[that was a long day,the bbl was white that evening].Some AKs are more accurate than others,sometimes it's not the AK but the ammo that makes the difference.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
300,000 rounds, thats fine....you can get more from a Soviet....You fail to understand that you can put more rounds thru an original Russian AK  than you can with other variants before letting it cool off.  Thats the gist of it.  IF my AK can fire more rounds than yours before I have to let mine cool down, to me thats a significant advantage, ergo, BETTER!

Goodbye!

Stick to your Century Arms SAR1  LOL!

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Hummmmmm now what are the odds of living long enough in a Combat environment to fire 300,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:Iv'e been researching AKs for about two months now and want to take a pole.

Thanks for any input.

ROTFLMDAO!!!!!!

I live in the Atlanta metro area, and if you wore a sign around your neck with that written on it, in some parts of town you'd get some "input" all right and pretty darn quick!

I think you meant "poll".
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]
StariVojnik wrote:

"Stick to your Century Arms SAR1 LOL"

I should be the one laughing, because again it shows you just don't have the facts........I don't own an SAR! LOL!!!

As far as saying things like "My friends and I, while in the XXXXX military, tested X, X, and X brands of rifles, and X was definitely better".......yeah, like we have not heard stories like that before......LOL!!!

As much as I respect our own U.S. servicemen, how many times have we not heard these types of stories before?!

People coming back and saying this or that about a certain military tool, and then another servicemen giving a totally different story on it.

Your "facts" are not facts at all...........they are more like "oppinions", because nothing you have said is proof! :)

As far as the Bulgarian specimen having 300,000 rounds, the only reason it was retired was to stay on the safe side, they still have it, but have retired it from use.

And again, I believe it has that magical pixie dust that prevents a barrel from having problems, even after firing a zillion rounds on full auto :) LOL!!!!

GOOD BYE :)
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:Iv'e been researching AKs for about two months now and want to take a pole.

Thanks for any input.

ROTFLMDAO!!!!!!

I live in the Atlanta metro area, and if you wore a sign around your neck with that written on it, in some parts of town you'd get some "input" all right and pretty darn quick!

I think you meant "poll".

He'd get more "input" than he could stand in the Airport or Mid-town areas!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I won't get into the "Russia is best" thing, because I think they ara all good weapons. It should also be remembered that many former com-bloc AK's used a mix of local and Russian components. I wouldn't say that Russian AK's are the best simply because there are more of them in the hands of other armies. Colombian rebels use by and large East German AK's. Iraqi's use a large number of Romanian AK's. Maybe they just have more Russian AK's because they made more of them and they have been in circulation longer.

I would say that number one is this one:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/119651/Yugoak.jpeg

Zastava makes VERY good weapons, in metallurgy, ergonomics, and appearance.

Second I would say are Polish AK's, followed by East German, Russian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, and Chinese.

I am looking at overall fit and finish, features, and quality. I don't understand what "chemicals" has to do with the quality of steel, as I have never heard of chemicals being used to affect steel other than the finish.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Where is CampyBob to set everyone straight on this?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
mmmmmm.... Krebs KTR03. Made from a Vepr.

www.krebscustom.com/

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a SLR96 Bulgarian and a Chinese Norinco.  I think the Norincos are junk compared to the Bulgarian model.  

As far as the metalurgy conversation here goes....Great steel is great steel gents, period!!
 I bet if I take my Bulgarian AK and ship the whole gun off to get Cryo-treated it will be far superior to a russian AK as far as wear is concerned.  I would bet that cryo-treatment is the russian "pixie dust" if I had to go with the metalurgy superiority stated by our former Yugo Army friend above.  

Again.... Great steel is GREAT STEEL!! again..PERIOD.  

The fitting of the parts on a Bulgarian is WAY top-notch if you ask me.  You cant change math and you cant change the facts. Aside from cryo treatment of the weapons... Lets say it together now peeps... GREAT STEEL IS GREAT STEEL!

TimH.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I just couldn't resist...

1. Russian (mid to later models) tied w/ Bulgarian
2. Poland tied w/ the Red Flag factory guns
3. Finnish
4. Czechoslovakian (later models)
5. East German
6. Isreali
7. Hungarian

The Kollector
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just couldn't resist...

1. Russian (mid to later models) tied w/ Bulgarian
2. Poland tied w/ the Red Flag factory guns
3. Finnish
4. Czechoslovakian (later models)
5. East German
6. Isreali
7. Hungarian

The Kollector

Welcome to the Dark Side!
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Again, you are hopelessly stuck on the word "steel" whereas my subject is about the metal treatment and process it goes thru.  ANYBODY CAN GET GREAT QUALITY STEEL AND BUILD A FREAKING AK, BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY USED THE SAME CHEM/HEAT PROCESS AS THE SOVIETS.

Thank you for calling me a Bullsh*tter.

I was was in the army 15 years ago(usa) we fired a lot of Ak47 varients I was addicted to it so i bought a china version a plain ole MAK90 I had this gun for about 10 years this gun is awsome i can literally throw it, step on it, smack it up side anything, and IT WILL FIRE!!! plus I had a friend from bosnia he was in the army; because every male above age 18 has to join! I showed him mine he did not believe we were allowed to own such a thing but oh well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]
1)Hungarian sa85m...own 3 of them...2)VEPR Ks solid and accurate I love this one too.  Bulgarian and chinese...nice too though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#21]
You didn't just join, the goverment knew exactly when you were the right age.  They just showed up infront of your house with the truck and off you went. :) Bye mom!

Serving was mandatory...hmmm maybe we need a little of that here in the good'ol USA.  >:)

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:48:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish that would happen to me.  Apparently, the military doesn't want me right now because of past medical history, even though I'm fine now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:32:40 AM EDT
[#23]
cant touch this:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top