Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
www.impactsites2000.com/site3/images2/ak74.jpg

gentlemen!

i beg of you!

please, do not compare the ak-47 to the m-16.

campare the ak-74. afterall, the russians have been using this rifle for nearly 30 years.

talk about your ergonomics...getta load of that left side-folding stock, the world's most efficient recoil brake, the onboard cleaning kit...all at an unloaded weight under 7 lbs.

Campy, your description and picture makes me want to cry. I WANNA AN AK-74 FROM RUSSIA!!!! [>(]

Anyway, I'd like to add that the AK-74 picture also has a far more durable magazine and magazine locking system than the AR-15. It also has a side mounted sling (no need for a fancy sling or modifications to the stock like on the M4) which makes carrying it FAR easier than the AR-15.

Ah hell, I want the best of both. Sako 95 anyone?

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How to hit the target at 600 yards with an AK:
Grab the rifle by the barrel in a baseball bat grip, run forward 599 yards directly toward the target with the rifle in hand, and take a good swing at the target.  
CJ

You better not tell that to the people of Red Star Arms! You might have the Russian mafia attack you!

www.redstararms.com/uploads/BRC/vepreport.pdf

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Anyway, I'd like to add that the AK-74 picture also has a far more durable magazine and magazine locking system than the AR-15.

I can drop an empty AR mag, insert a fresh mag and release the bolt FAR, FAR, FAR more quickly than an AK can have the empty removed, fresh mag inserted and locked and the bolt manually retracted.  Unless you are the Flash, it not going to even be close!
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Shadowblade's equation is incomplete.  Here is the complete formula:

Kinetic Energy = Weight(gr) x Velocity^2 / 450,400.

Ex. 55gr x 3150 x 3150 / 450,400 = 1212 ft/lbs.

Ex. 123gr x 2400 x 2400 / 450,400 = 1573 ft/lbs.

FYI = Doubling the velocity will quadruple the energy.

FYI = A 647gr .50 cal. bullet moving at 2,800 ft/sec. will deliver approx. 11,262 ft/lbs. of energy.  My Dear Lord!
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted: I can drop an empty AR mag, insert a fresh mag and release the bolt FAR, FAR, FAR more quickly than an AK can have the empty removed, fresh mag inserted and locked and the bolt manually retracted.  Unless you are the Flash, it not going to even be close!

Well, with this part from Red Star Arms, you might be able to match it with training:

redstararms.com/pix/wing3.WMV

Mag changes are something you should always do from behind cover anyway.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
That might help a little but when you can drop mags by simply shifting your index finger from the trigger to the mag release while at the same time extracting another mag from your web gear and then inserting the mag and releasing the bolt with one contnuous motion of one hand, that is about as good as it gets.  Just the fact the AR has a bolt release gives it a significant time advantage for reloads.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you even use AK and acuracy in the same sentence..........
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
hell why not the robinson arms recon carbine in 7.62x39 best of both worlds! 1500.00 bucks though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the concept of fast reloading is a mute point, unless you have become quite familiar with reloading your weapon under stressfull, i.e. combat conditions, it is a very clumsy hand shakeing - trying too fast afair.

I can reload any of my weapons quickly enough at the range or while hunting or showing off, etc.  I would wager money that I can reload a Mauser faster than you can reload your AR or AK, but it comes though constant experience in semi-stressful conditions.

In my limited experience, I found that reloading a weapon quickly when there are bullets flying by you quite closely to be an almost imposible feat.  I am not afraid to admit I was scared shitless the first few times, just plain scared the next few, but reloading under those conditions is not as easy as you might think.  When you are trying just as hard to not piss your pants when a bullet hits the log you are hideing behind, man, it ain't easy.

I am sure that once you become experienced under these conditions after spending far more time in them than I was it becomes second nature, but by then, you will have developed such skill in the use of your weapon, it again becoms a mute point.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top