Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Same as the .308, .

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Talked to Thomas over at Rhineland arms and he might be able to make a SVD style stock for these.

Rhineland arms

Be sure to send him a kind email stating that you would like to have something made for this rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Talked to Thomas over at Rhineland arms and he might be able to make a SVD style stock for these.

Rhineland arms

Be sure to send him a kind email stating that you would like to have something made for this rifle.

I wish someone would make a AK/AKM wood butt stock for these as well.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Same as the .308, .

http://x.co/Ynms

I already PM'ed LM about this, but does anybody know where I could get a side rail like this?
I think it would be just the thing I need on my AK54R build to lower my scope a little more.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are going to install a rail, and you want to have the scope low, an SVD rail may be better. The SVD clamp seems to put the scope lower than the AK.  Here is a pic of an AK scope, with an SVD clamp next to it.  If it had the SVD clamp installed, the scope would be a bit lower.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you are going to install a rail, and you want to have the scope low, an SVD rail may be better. The SVD clamp seems to put the scope lower than the AK.  Here is a pic of an AK scope, with an SVD clamp next to it.  If it had the SVD clamp installed, the scope would be a bit lower.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t311/hilljacknm/akvssvd8.jpg

Well on my rifle it's a bit complicated, but I can't use one of those style mounts. I wish I could, because it does put the scope as low as possible, but I built my "AK54R" on a Nodak square back receiver from Waffen Werks. When I bought it they "fixed" the rails on it, and took too much off. So that style of scope mount just shoots itself off after a few rounds.

Now I've found an excellent scope mount, but it's set for AKM rails which put's it a little high on my PSL receiver.
I was thinking about machining my own custom mount for it, but the one in the picture is perfect.
If I can find one of those, I'll mill my side rail off and install it and be happy!

Here's the mount (I got mine from someone else)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=245939444

BTW; sorry for the hijack
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up one of those also.  It does sit low but you have to watch how you mount the scope.  Mine was hitting part of the rear sight mount.

It still sits too high to get a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#8]
wow hilljack nice scope mount  do  you know where i can get one?  my vepr should be  here in about 1-2 weeks time
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#9]
iamg0ku posted a link to the mount.  Its the post above the pics of the mount. Congrats on the Vepr.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmm, it's good to know that with that scope mount it is still too high.  I almost bought one of mounts a few days ago for my x39 vepr.  I did buy that cheekrest, however, and it broke when I was putting it on the stock.  Need to return it next week.

Lately I've been thinking of waiting for one of the RS Regulate ACOG mounts & then waiting longer for the 7.62x39 acog...  It seems like it would be a good fit for a 16'' x39 vepr.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hmm, it's good to know that with that scope mount it is still too high.

I guess "too high" must be a personal thing based on expectations..  I have two .308 Veprs and have no cheek weld issues with either mount/optic combination on either rifle.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
No doubt. It's still more of a jaw weld, than cheek.  A scope with a smaller objective and lower rings may do the trick. ?

It does seem better than the posp.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
THat just begs for a Dragunov conversion kit; hiope to see what Rhineland Arms comes out with; pretty excited.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I just can't get used to the jaw weld...  I emailed rhineland about their stock, no response

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I picked up one of those also.  It does sit low but you have to watch how you mount the scope.  Mine was hitting part of the rear sight mount.

http://x.co/YuML

http://x.co/YuMb

http://x.co/YuMj

It still sits too high to get a good cheek weld.

I looked at those mounts to but $200 is a bit much for it.

How solid is it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, pricy. It seems very solid. Have used the BP type Russian mounts.  All they did was make my BP go up.  Have read many reports of people saying they were good. The one I had didn't hold up.

Almost bought the one LM and others posted, but this one looked like it was lower.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Karsten makes a well regarded cheek rest, but it would probably require some serious modification of the Vepr butt stock to work.  Done right, it would probably look good and work well, but it certainly doesn't look like a drop-in item.

ETA:  I have the Karsten rest on order to replace the ITC rest on my '99 .308 Vepr.  It should be a very easy install since it lacks the aggressive Monte Carlo comb of your x54r and my new .308 Vepr.  I can post pics after the install of the Karsten in this thread if you like.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally got mine threaded.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice.  Got any plans for an optic?

Link Posted: 9/2/2011 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#21]
What did you thread it to?  Did you do it?  Was the FSB removed to thread?
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes I plans to put a scope on it just not sure what I want yet.

I had only one choice of thread pitch for the suppressors I have here and what I was willing to thread it and that's 1/2x28.

I didn't remove the fsb, I went between centers and used a steady rest to help support it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Bad a$$!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Hilljack, thanks for the review and pictures.   Excellent photos, especially the magazine comparisons.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I am anxiously awaiting RS Regulate to release their dual 30mm ring AKS mount but, this is the lowest com-bloc mount I have seen yet for an AK rail.

If it is truly centered, something that seems hit or miss with a BP-02, it has enough rail to make it a better option than a Molot for conventional optics. Looks to be as low as possible to help avoid a chin weld also, depending on the stock you are using. I’d also be interested to know if you can field strip the weapon with this mount in place.

The $200 price is a little steep though. I also have my doubts about the seller’s claim of it being milled from one piece of aircraft grade aluminum. It has tell tale signs of being cast to my eyes. Just like every other Russian mount out there except the Molot.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I am anxiously awaiting RS Regulate to release their dual 30mm ring AKS mount but, this is the lowest com-bloc mount I have seen yet for an AK rail.

If it is truly centered, something that seems hit or miss with a BP-02, it has enough rail to make it a better option than a Molot for conventional optics. Looks to be as low as possible to help avoid a chin weld also, depending on the stock you are using. I’d also be interested to know if you can field strip the weapon with this mount in place.

The $200 price is a little steep though. I also have my doubts about the seller’s claim of it being milled from one piece of aircraft grade aluminum. It has tell tale signs of being cast to my eyes. Just like every other Russian mount out there except the Molot.

Wpns Man

The mount is not the determining factor as to how low you can get a scope, the rear sight is.  The RS mount will have the same issue as any other mount, scope objective clearance at the rear sight.  Once the objective of the scope hits the rear sight, you're not going any lower.

Link Posted: 9/4/2011 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I am aware of that fact,

I will be using a 1-4X with a 30mm objective (MTAC). This mount looks like a set of lower rings could reduce the height above bore more than Hilljack’s set up, as long as the ocular clears. Whereas the RS mount shouldn’t have that problem as there is no rail to interfere with it.

This mount may well fill my needs if the RS product doesn’t materialize. I would still like to know if it allows for field stripping while in place.

Wpns Man    
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I did not think the rifle could be field stripped with the scope mount on.  Tried it.I was wrong.  The Action Cover comes off easily, but there's not much room to get it out.  Removing the recoil spring made it easier to get the bolt carrier out.

This mount is not completely over the bore.  It does sit slightly to the left.  Interference with the rear sight block can be a problem with some scopes. A short scope should work.   Also a longer scope can work, if you can mount it far enough forward to clear the rear sight block, when sliding the mount on the gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the additional information,

Good to know it can be stripped with the mount in place. Not being centered could be due to variations in the mount and/or the side rail on the gun if it is only slightly so. If it is way off, it is most likely following the PSO school of design. That along with the price would be a deal breaker for me.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok, I've heard on another two forums that there is a small company being considered to produce the 'High'er capacity magazines for this platform. Making at least a 10 rounder, and possibly 15-20 rounders as well..... A double stack bottle-necked single feedramp magazine. That would be something, but still.... A very expensive magazine.

..... Has anybody converted the VEPR 7.62x54r mag well to accept PSL mags yet?

I can have my machinist employee do it, but I do not currently own a PSL...... If someone could trace out one on a piece of paper and send it to me, I can do my rifle and see if it can be done. Simply lay paper on the bottom of the PSL receiver and hold your pencil almost flat sideways, rub the edge of the lead on the edge of the magwell.

If I can get someone to get me the tracing and maybe a tracing cut out by an exacto blade, and also send a mag..... I can cut mine and maybe offer the service.

..... Or I can give a cash deposit on the whole rifle to better get an exact measurement of the PSL's magwell.

My personal VEPR 7.62x54r really could use an extra 5 rounds making it at least a 10rd gun. I hate the 5rd mags, but absolutely love the beautiful rifle.

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been watching this thread for quite some time and have joined the forum just to post in it.  I'm really on the fence in regards to purchasing a 54R VEPR.  The main reason is that mags will only hold 5 rounds and they are darn expensive.  Rogue, if you end up being successful in converting the 54R VEPR to accept PSL mags, I would love to get in on the action.  I will PM you shortly with my contact information.  Good luck and please keep me updated.  

Adam
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ok, I've heard on another two forums that there is a small company being considered to produce the 'High'er capacity magazines for this platform. Making at least a 10 rounder, and possibly 15-20 rounders as well..... A double stack bottle-necked single feedramp magazine. That would be something, but still.... A very expensive magazine.

Get them to produce SVD mags too while you're at it. And some 20 rounders

Z
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Whats the tightest group that vepr can get?
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Not sure. Its limited by the loose nut on the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t311/hilljacknm/akvssvd8.jpg

Well on my rifle it's a bit complicated, but I can't use one of those style mounts. I wish I could, because it does put the scope as low as possible, but I built my "AK54R" on a Nodak square back receiver from Waffen Werks. When I bought it they "fixed" the rails on it, and took too much off. So that style of scope mount just shoots itself off after a few rounds.

Now I've found an excellent scope mount, but it's set for AKM rails which put's it a little high on my PSL receiver.
I was thinking about machining my own custom mount for it, but the one in the picture is perfect.
If I can find one of those, I'll mill my side rail off and install it and be happy!

Here's the mount (I got mine from someone else)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=245939444

BTW; sorry for the hijack

put a few shims or washers on the tightening clamp, it will work fine.

This is a helluva rifle to stumble upon....  I was just reminiscing about my old Vepr K 7.62 x39 I had years back when they were imported by RA.  I should've never gotten rid of it, now I see this......
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's a few more groups at 100 yards....

Heavy Ball , 21 over 52 .

Light Ball  3 over 68.

This ammo shoots great in a Mosin sniper, Not so much in this Vepr.
200 grain

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Hilljack - Have you decided on any mods for the rifle yet?

I just replaced the atrocious factory trigger in my '99 .308 and the 2010 rifle is next.  The difference is like night and day, should have done it a long time ago.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Not yet. J&G put some Saiga's on sale, so I had to pick a couple of those up. That ate up a bit of fun money. Too much stuff out there to try out.

Picked up an older Vepr stock to mod for it.  Looks like it was for a .223?  Doesn't quite fit.  Trimmed it a bit and added some Accura-Glas. Still needs a bit more to get it right.  Was thinking of sending it off to get an adjustable comb installed. Will post some pics, when I get somewhere with it.

How heavy was your trigger?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Never measured the pull weight on the '99 rifle.  If I had to guess I would put it at around 5 lbs.  Pull weight wasn't really the big problem, it had a mile of travel and was rough/gritty and very unpredictable.  Not what I wanted in a precision trigger by any means.  I was going to do some work on it but decided to replace it all together.
I now have a heavily reworked Arsenal two-stage in it and it is fabulous.  Very smooth and it breaks like glass with perfect predictability.  It was far from a drop-in, I had to rework the hammer (significantly) and the right trigger leg (minor) for it to work in a .308 Vepr. I also smoothed/polished the contact surfaces a bit.  Very much worth it though, I'm very happy with the results.
The trigger in the 2010 rifle is better than the '99 rifle but after using the new trigger in the '99, I'll never be satisfied with the factory trigger in the 2010 rifle.  Might go with the Arsenal two-stage again or try something else just for shits and giggles.  Probably just do the Arsenal again.
I use the RSA trigger in my M76 and know it's available for the .308 Vepr, but didn't want to go with it for a few reasons.
I went with the Karsten cheek rest on my '99 rifle and am extremely happy with it.  Cheek weld is phenomenal and the quality is excellent.  Bought it directly from Karsten and he is a great guy to deal with.  The Karsten is a pretty big commitment since it requires you to drill two 1/4" holes clean through the stock for the mounting hardware.  Aesthetically speaking, there's no going back once you mount it to the rifle.  I works so well that I can't imagine wanting to take it off, so I'm not concerned with having burnt that bridge.
The Karsten probably wouldn't work on your rifle or my new .308 because of the pronounced comb they come with, but it was perfect for my '99 rifle:

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:27:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice.  The stock set I picked up looks a lot like yours, no comb. Will have to get on that project again soon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top