User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I was in Kazakhstan a while back, and the soldiers I was training didn't have money to buy replacement blades for their folding boxcutter type knives.  It would not surprise me if most eastern European soldiers did not spend the little money they made buying expensive American stuff for their issue weapon.

Astute observations on the obsolescence of the AK, gunwritr.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was in Kazakhstan a while back, and the soldiers I was training didn't have money to buy replacement blades for their folding boxcutter type knives.  It would not surprise me if most eastern European soldiers did not spend the little money they made buying expensive American stuff for their issue weapon.

Astute observations on the obsolescence of the AK, gunwritr.

The AZ Guard still rocks the Kazakhstan mission?

There is a big difference between Joe Snuffy in the army of a Central Asian republic and the guys on a presidential detail in Russia.  Even in Afghanistan the ANP dudes that worked security at the provincial governor level were making a profitable slice of the corruption pie.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure the Russians are laughing at us with our fascination with two decade's old AK's. We have an archaic view of the AK, but the platform will never be entirely scrapped. Even Izmash is going the way of Poland via more "Tactical" AK's with their AK200 series rifles that are being tested currently. Russia doesn't have the pressures to innovate and adapt to combat conditions because they aren't involved in any major conflicts, and they don't have the cash to replace all their AK-74M rifles. However, the American commercial stuff is not even close to general issue and is probably private contract work or security bought with private funds.

Like someone said earlier, the US military is stretching the use of the AR platform to it's limits as well. It's been almost a half-century since the M16 was adopted, like Russia we've changed it up into different versions but the platform is the same.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm sure the Russians are laughing at us with our fascination with two decade's old AK's. We have an archaic view of the AK, but the platform will never be entirely scrapped. Even Izmash is going the way of Poland via more "Tactical" AK's with their AK200 series rifles that are being tested currently. Russia doesn't have the pressures to innovate and adapt to combat conditions because they aren't involved in any major conflicts, and they don't have the cash to replace all their AK-74M rifles. However, the American commercial stuff is not even close to general issue and is probably private contract work or security bought with private funds.

Like someone said earlier, the US military is stretching the use of the AR platform to it's limits as well. It's been almost a half-century since the M16 was adopted, like Russia we've changed it up into different versions but the platform is the same.

Pics of the AK-200?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:45:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of the AK-200?

Just an AK74 with rails
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did this guy get a PEQ15, U.S. Palm grip, and a T1, Indutry partners?.................Sully

Yep. Seems to americanized for them.

Im thinking these pics are not legit.

X2

The uniforms, berets, and patches seem "odd". They men look "odd" for Russians What's the origin of this photo ? where did it come from ? I call fake, now someone prove me wrong... Please prove me wrong
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did this guy get a PEQ15, U.S. Palm grip, and a T1, Indutry partners?.................Sully

X2

The uniforms, berets, and patches seem "odd". They men look "odd" for Russians What's the origin of this photo ? where did it come from ? I call fake, now someone prove me wrong... Please prove me wrong

Same gun in the pic with the guy wearing multicam. Russians wear multicam? Russians wear Mechanix gloves too?

Also, Why would a russian have painted his weapon tan?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Same gun in the pic with the guy wearing multicam. Russians wear multicam? Russians wear Mechanix gloves too?

It's a real picture.
They're FSB.
They're top tier security, consider them the KGB of our era.
By the way, that specific group is stationed in Chechnya right now.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
]

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#10]

what guns are those? the magazines in them are very straight like you see for the 106FR(5.56)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, I'm not sure.  I figured they were AK-74s of some sort.

There's more stuff here:
Link

Clearly, they are doing these things to AKs and I don't think that the original photos are fakes.

Even more interesting stuff here.

I wonder where they got the laser?  I wonder if some of the stuff is Chinese knock-off gear?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Honestly, I'm not sure.  I figured they were AK-74s of some sort.

There's more stuff here:
Link

Clearly, they are doing these things to AKs and I don't think that the original photos are fakes.

Even more interesting stuff here.

I wonder where they got the laser?  I wonder if some of the stuff is Chinese knock-off gear?

look at the curve in the magazines on those guns, they resemble the 5.56 mags for the arsenal 106FR
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I doubt that.

If anything they are adapting and applying what we are developing and creating for the AK. Hence the TWS rail cover. A modernized AK rocks and rocks well. I have no qualms with reaching out to 200+ with this due in no small part....the TWS rail cover and RDS.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that.

If anything they are adapting and applying what we are developing and creating for the AK. Hence the TWS rail cover. A modernized AK rocks and rocks well. I have no qualms with reaching out to 200+ with this due in no small part....the TWS rail cover and RDS.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/AK003.jpg

Awesome AMD, by the way.

I wish I hadn't seen that...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I also noticed the MBUS....Are M4 type irons good to go on this rail? Seems a bit high. Maybe something like a Troy micro would be better.

it would be if he were using a factory front sight but he isnt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I started a thread in GD the day before on this.

The TWS is one thing, how did they get a PEQ-15?

GD thread on this...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of the AK-200?

AK200
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Same gun in the pic with the guy wearing multicam. Russians wear multicam?sure do Russians wear Mechanix gloves too?yup

Also, Why would a russian have painted his weapon tan? Same reason any other Soldier would

Are you just pulling bullshit questions out 0f yyour ass?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of the AK-200?

AK200

AK-200 is smoke and mirrors.......its not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Do you even know what FSB is?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of the AK-200?

AK200

AK-200 is smoke and mirrors.......its not going anywhere.

No argument from me, was a TiCresponse, click the link for amusement...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Same gun in the pic with the guy wearing multicam. Russians wear multicam?sure do Russians wear Mechanix gloves too?yup

Also, Why would a russian have painted his weapon tan? Same reason any other Soldier would

Not at all. Why are the others around him not "Gucci"ed out? Seems what I have questioned is right there in the pics.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Not at all. Why are the others around him not "Gucci"ed out? Seems what I have questioned is right there in the pics.

Wearong $15 gloves and painting his rifle tan is "Gucci'd out"?

Eta- is that you in your avatar?  If so, I'm assuming .mil and/or security contracting?  Did everyone in your unit/team carry the eexact same loadout/setup?  I really doubt it (in my .mil experience, the answer is a resounding no), so why is it such a stretch that these gguys aren't outfitted identically?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#25]
You know......because 15 dollar gloves and a painted rifle are a stretch over MBUS, American lasers and a TWS rail on the rifle.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You know......because 15 dollar gloves and a painted rifle are a stretch over MBUS, American lasers and a TWS rail on the rifle.

Gentlemen, I give you 'Gucci'd out'

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I wonder what those weapons weigh? Gotta be heavy for an assualt rifle/carbine...

Sweet rail.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm a traditionalist concerning AK's but these photos have me questioning my opinions. Especially the collapsible stock. I've thought these to be monstrosities on AK's and I know they can help with body armor. I still feel a side folder with the addition of a length of pull (SIG) is preferable to a stock that was originally designed to shorten a few inches a system containing a buffer tube. I wonder when these products will be duplicated (counterfeited) by the Russian small arms industry. Thanks for pics, very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm a traditionalist concerning AK's but these photos have me questioning my opinions. Especially the collapsible stock. I've thought these to be monstrosities on AK's and I know they can help with body armor. I still feel a side folder with the addition of a length of pull (SIG) is preferable to a stock that was originally designed to shorten a few inches a system containing a buffer tube. I wonder when these products will be duplicated (counterfeited) by the Russian small arms industry. Thanks for pics, very interesting.

The Russians (STK and Zenit) already make a couple versions of collapsible folding 5.5mm stocks...and they look much better and have nothing in commom with those buffer tube TDI ones which are Israeli I believe, not US made.

If you look closely, the guy on the far right where only his rifle and hand are shown has the STK stock on his rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russians (STK and Zenit) already make a couple versions of collapsible folding 5.5mm stocks...and they look much better and have nothing in commom with those buffer tube TDI ones which are Israeli I believe, not US made.

If you look closely, the guy on the far right where only his rifle and hand are shown has the STK stock on his rifle.

I was exchanging emails with Kalinka optics about obtaining one of these stocks.  I think he quoted me $300 dollars or somewhere around that amount; I can't recall off hand.  I didn't purchase due to not having a rifle with the 5.5 pin stock.  

Here is a link to their website (STK) I don't think they update the website often.

http://www.stk.udmnet.ru/index_1.htm

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Where did they even find out about the TWS?

I bet you they read these forums.  I'm sure the guys that protect Putin can read and speak English.  

They have probably viewed this thread and are laughing their asses off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I bet you they read these forums.  I'm sure the guys that protect Putin can read and speak English.  

Probably talk.guns.ru

I go there a lot to see what is new, and they seem to stay on top of American accessories and optics.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#33]
they need to get clued in on ar stocks,thats for sure

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hope they are.  

Dear Russians:

If you're reading this, please start sending shiploads of mags (especially in 5.45) and ammo over as soon as possible.
Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Eta- is that you in your avatar?  If so, I'm assuming .mil and/or security contracting?  Did everyone in your unit/team carry the eexact same loadout/setup?  I really doubt it (in my .mil experience, the answer is a resounding no), so why is it such a stretch that these gguys aren't outfitted identically?

Yes thats me, a contractor. Yes, most of us contractors run different set ups. We will do what ever is allowed. That being said, if thats the case with these guys. Why have the others not amped there weapons up? Just sayin'. Does not really matter anyway.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

Yes thats me, a contractor. Yes, most of us contractors run different set ups. We will do what ever is allowed. That being said, if thats the case with these guys. Why have the others not amped there weapons up? Just sayin'. Does not really matter anyway.

I bet some of the guys adhere to the K.I.S.S. ideology so they run what they need to get rounds on target. If these guys are buying this equipment with their own $$$, maybe that's all they care to spend on their issue rifles.
Not everyone likes to hang 20 pounds of gear on their rifles, I was issue a Surefire light for my rifle and rarely mounted it on my issued M4A1. I like the issued Knights rail, AN-PEQ 15, and an TAO1 Acog suited my needs. The Surefire light and the VFG sat in the armory most of the time, I ride on a Riverine assault boat and that layout for my M4 suites my just fine. To each his own.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if those soldier/policeman had to buy their own goodies? I don't think that they would be issued that stuff, than I don't know anyone over there to ask.

I think that is exactly it. They may have been given an allowance but I suspect they procured their own equipment. This is common even in the US Military and Law Enforcement.

Our own SF get a close to unlimited budget and when it comes to neato guns and gadgets they get the latest and greatest.

If these guys are the security detail for Putin, I would bet they get whatever they want. I would be interested in knowing how to they imported all that cool dude US gear.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

It's all a matter of preference, some guys run A4s bone stock but for glass where others do their best to convert their rifles into Swiss Army knives.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#39]
These threads always crack me up.  If ARFCOM was around in the 60's, you'd be seeing Eugene Stoner pics saying "You keep the S**T off my AR" in regards to mounting starlight scopes and such.  As technology and tactics change, so do weapons.  While there is nothing wrong with the AK, it doesn't mean it can't be improved.  Adding a G2 trigger and a Mojo sight to mine has made a world of difference and has made it function nearly as good as my AR.

There is nothing wrong with adding/changing/modifying a weapon provided it adds to the function of the weapon.  Personally, I don't like the AR-style stock on an AK but to each their own.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#40]
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top