User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Explain to someone who has only even handled an AK once what is up with the screw-on gas block. I honestly know nothing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is the angle of the gas hole in the gas block? will this work with both 7.62 and 5.45 gas port angles? Thanks!

Yes. From RD page:
The newest version of the Bolton Gas Block will now accommodate predrilled 90 degree and 45 degree gas ports. It is now compatible with most all-standard AK barrels and will not require a different barrel or relocating the gas port. Additionally we have added
the ability to pin the Bolton Gas Block. While we have had tremendous success with the block in its old configuration, there has been concern from some that the block could fail due to not being pinned. We know of only 2 instances where this has happened but in both cases the block had been removed and reinstalled incorrectly. In an effort to offer the best product we can, we have now added the pinning feature to satisfy even the most discerning professional.

The Bolton Gas Block will be a standard feature on our new line of production guns coming out Later this year.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Explain to someone who has only even handled an AK once what is up with the screw-on gas block. I honestly know nothing.

AKs use oldschool technology of pinning of objects onto the barrel. So if you look at the picture below of this old bolten block (combined front site block and gas block), they use screws to tighten that key piece down on the barrel (pulls gas from the barrel and directs it up to the piston to cycle the rifle). This is normally done with two pins (like the pins next to the bolton block in the picture) that locks that piece onto the barrel, you generally will need a press to push out the pin to get that part off. Some feel that screws used in the old bolton block will come loose and cause the block to fall off or move rendering the AK usless.
http://www.rifledynamics.com/images/bolton_repair2.jpg

If you look at this image you can see the two pins at the bottom that hold the FGB (front gas block) onto the barrel:
http://50ae.net/VZ-vs-AK/ak-7-cs.jpg

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
screw on gas block on an ak. out of

Agreed. It's very suspect. I've done some reading on it and it's certainly not ideal.

I would consider it a downgrade personally, whether it has issues or not.

The Bolton gas block is pretty top shelf. I'd like to see any citations/documentation about it failing.

Third to last post by gunwritr.  He's Dave Fortier, pretty well known writer in the gun world.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/139001__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Travis__New_AK.html&page=1
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
screw on gas block on an ak. out of

Agreed. It's very suspect. I've done some reading on it and it's certainly not ideal.

I would consider it a downgrade personally, whether it has issues or not.

The Bolton gas block is pretty top shelf. I'd like to see any citations/documentation about it failing.

What makes it top shelf?
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]

[/quote]Third to last post by gunwritr.  He's Dave Fortier, pretty well known writer in the gun world.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/139001__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Travis__New_AK.html&page=1[/quote]

Did you read Travis's comment on the next page of the thread?

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Third to last post by gunwritr.  He's Dave Fortier, pretty well known writer in the gun world.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/139001__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Travis__New_AK.html&page=1[/quote]

Did you read Travis's comment on the next page of the thread?

[/quote]

Yeah he says a screw was stripped or something.

Moving gas blocks or stripped screws aren't issues with pinned on blocks.

Looks like a nice gas block, but I would only mess with the new pin on one.  The AK action is violent as hell, that gas piston slams home with a lot of force.  Lots of barrel whip to shake those screws loose over time.  Pins for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks like a nice gas block, but I would only mess with the new pin on one.  The AK action is violent as hell, that gas piston slams home with a lot of force.  Lots of barrel whip to shake those screws loose over time.  Pins for me.

Pretty much my opinion.  I am sure it would be a nice GB combo if it was pressed and pinned.  Still don't see the advantage over a Bulgarian or Russian unit except availability though, even if properly pinned.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#11]
There are probably 1000s of AK with Bolton blocks on them and you can only find one person who had a bad experience and run with it?  Side note, how many of you opted for a set screw or a clamp on style gas block on your ar15?  

From the RD website.  "We received one of our customers RD builds that had the Bolton Block installed with the barrel cut down to 12.5 inches and running a suppressor. This set up creates tremendous gas pressure on the AK system. During the use of this gun the gas pressure was so strong it actually blew the gas port (drilled at a 45 degree angle) forward to a point where the gas port was opened up and moved in front of the gas block and yet the block did not move at all and the gun still ran."

If you really wanted a Bolton block pinned I am sure that can be arranged on your custom build.  Heck on the Custom build you can opt for a Krebs combination fron sight/ gas block which are pinned.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much my opinion.  I am sure it would be a nice GB combo if it was pressed and pinned.  Still don't see the advantage over a Bulgarian or Russian unit except availability though, even if properly pinned.

It's lighter in weight than the russian or bulgarian
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are probably 1000s of AK with Bolton blocks on them and you can only find one person who had a bad experience and run with it?  Side note, how many of you opted for a set screw or a clamp on style gas block on your ar15?

1000s?  That's a stretch considering I've seen pics of less than 10.  Let me know how many guys have had problems with pin on gas blocks moving.

Does an AR15 has a huge ass bolt carrier and gas piston slamming into the gas block every time the action cycles?  Nope.  There is zero force being applied to a standard AR gas block.  There is nothing to cause it to move.  Even the piston AR's use a tiny little short stroke piston that doesn't put hardly any force on the gas block.  Where AKs have the full force of the recoil spring and heavy bolt, carrier, and piston slamming home every shot.

There is a pin on version of the Bolton gas block.  I'd say the manufacturer saw the weak point in their design and corrected it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
They recently said that they've moved to pinned gas blocks.

These guns, while expensive, are more than the sum of their parts. I love my AKs, but shooting my friend's Fuller was hard to describe. It's like the AK perfected and evolved. Everything is so damn smooth. You never get the feeling you're shooting an AK, but something else entirely.

I really want to get one of my AKs Fuller-ized as a graduation present.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#15]
well since it's been deburred.....

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1000s?  That's a stretch considering I've seen pics of less than 10.  Let me know how many guys have had problems with pin on gas blocks moving.

Does an AR15 has a huge ass bolt carrier and gas piston slamming into the gas block every time the action cycles?  Nope.  There is zero force being applied to a standard AR gas block.  There is nothing to cause it to move.  Even the piston AR's use a tiny little short stroke piston that doesn't put hardly any force on the gas block.  Where AKs have the full force of the recoil spring and heavy bolt, carrier, and piston slamming home every shot.

There is a pin on version of the Bolton gas block.  I'd say the manufacturer saw the weak point in their design and corrected it.

This.  I've been back and forth on picking one of these up.  Now that they have the pin option, I'll probably have to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AKs use oldschool technology...  -snip-

thanks.

So its not only overpriced, its lower quality as well?

Sounds like a great deal.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top